Do you own your last Speakers

Part of me dreams I had the room and system to do justice to a pair of K10s, then I wake up and tell myself off - I have a system that cost me a lot of money, comparatively, and what cash we have since we retired is earmarked for travelling and ensuring we never have to worry about unexpected expenditure ever again!

1 Like

I would reckon my baby Harbeth P3esr’s as mynprevious mini monitor lasted nearly 30 years… They are all soul and beautifully balanced and work a treat with 135’s.

3 Likes

Well if I had and could accommodate those then definitely.
Fabulous speakers and no surprise they are your final transducer.

Sure do. Still marvel daily at what my ATC SCM40As do. Had them less than a year and still think they’re as close to perfection as my room and budget will allow. I’m definitely running my end-of-the-road system at least as far as the speakers are concerned.

Roger

Yes my Spendor D9s will see me out in the lounge. Courtesy of Linn’s Space Optimisation I think my vinyl replay is as good as I’ll ever need.

I also have some Magnepan in my small music room, which I use with a Chord system: I often think of changing them, but then I listen and they stay.

Or one of Neat’s designs with a ribbon tweeter. Well suited to Naim.

Roger

1 Like

I love my ART Emotion Monitor speakers. There is something about their tone which I find beguiling. I don’t plan on changing them and if I did I think I would have to spend a significant amount to get a big change. And if I had that money spare I might be tempted by some serious headphones instead.

Having said that a pair of Kudos Titans or B&W 805 d3 feel like a scratch I may like to itch one day. But having just welcomed our first baby into the world that scratching may be some years away.

Either way the ARTs don’t have a great residual value so even if I do upgrade I suspect I will keep them. To have them as a second system or just in the loft to dust off and have a blast every now and then would be a great place to be.

I had the tweeters of my humble cm1’s replaced twice ditched by my young explorers here. My dealer replaced them and said that b and w is having a good servicing record. He had a whole book of all the components and even the diamond tweeters are replaceable.

1 Like

Love what my NSats do in my tiny listening room on the end of my LP12/ XS-2 so, short of a lottery win and subsequent house move, I’d say I was happy with what I have.

You’ll understand my reference to self abuse wondering if I’d done the wrong thing if I tell you the ex-dem pair (SEs) I was offered in 2016 were not a lot more than half the price of those…

Hi , have had a pair of sbl’s for around two years now, can’t ever imagine changing them .

4 Likes

Like others here, little short of a lottery win, would cause me to part with the PMC Fact 12 speakers in my current system. They’re fabulous. I do not even read speaker reviews any more.

Hello Roberto
Thanks for the compliments. Most who have them will not sell them. You almost never see them come up for sale. There is pretty much nothing like them to this day. Pic attached as you requested.
Scintillas These have been refinished from Taupe to Stannic.

7 Likes

Thanks TiberioMagadino;
Well after Apogee, I took a 34 year hiatus from hi fi and went on another career path. Now that I am retired, I have the means to accommodate them as you say. I never had a system for them before. Lost my Full Range Ribbons in a house fire. Decided to activate these which I had given to my dad back in the day. They are S/N 0001. They were introduced at CES in Chicago–the Rafael Hotel–1984.

3 Likes

Hello Bailyhill,
Thank you for the reply, if memory serves me well, a few years ago, i read on a mag of a company rebuilding/restoring them from scratch ?
Regards
Roberto

I have used SBLs since 1988. Got a nice Mk2 pair in 2016 (thanks Ken) with new grills, Paxo and gasket kit. So yes, last speakers here.

1 Like

should have bought them then, you would be laughing now!

I hate this new forum software really as in hate. I have seldom experienced anything more worthless.

1 Like

Probably if past performance is anything to go by.
I got a pair of pre owned ESL 63s in 1986.
In about 2003 I got a pair of pre owned
Gradient SW 63 subs to go with them (game changer). A year later I replaced the stock Gradient crossover with Mats Tornquists XO 2001 crossover to great effect.
Last year I acquired a very later pair of ESL 63s (much more rigid than early ones) at a good price on the bay (which is frequently awash with 63s), got them serviced by Quad and the job’s a good 'un!

:small_blue_diamond:@bailyhill,…Hi,.I arranged a big Hifi-Show in February 1996 here in Sweden.

One of the exhibitors (Hans,.on Subas Audio),.demonstrated your Apogee-speakers.

Hans played on these Apogee-speakers with Pass Lab-amplifier.
Do you have any experience,.how these Pass Labs work with your Apogee-speakers.?

• Nelson Pass is a legend when it comes to constructing hifi,.and his more well-known Pass Lab amplifier is considered to be among the best on the market.

NelsonPassILabbet

Nelson Pass writes himself:
“In case you haven’t noticed, I enjoy amplifiers with some personality.
They don’t have to measure perfect, they just have to sound good.”

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes