Do you use your system instead of the TV speakers?

Yes. Digital out from Panasonic TV into NDX

3 Likes

I have taken the optical out to my SU and very pleased with the results enough bass from the PMC twenty 24 and an improvement in audibility of dialogue.

Although TV is in same room as hifi I don’t run it through the system - there are many occasions when I want to be companionable with my wife whilst she watches a programme in which I have no interest, so on go the headphones!

The TV is connected to a Monitor Audio ASB-2 soundbar, which sounds fantastic - great pseudo 3-d sound, thundering bass and crystal clear dialogue.

TV is in another room to the hifi so no, and until recently its sound went through the matching soundbar (all Panasonic) but that stopped working over Christmas. There’s a MuSo under the tv but there’s something unappealing / lacking in the tv sound through that so for now we put up with the tv sound, which is just ok, not terrible. Need to check to see if it’s the soundbar that failed or the tv o/p, to guide the replacement decision.

I suppose my day, Naim wise goes thus:
Wake up: this could be because of the dog at 0200 - don’t turn the ‘qute radio on
0500 - call of nature, radio goes on and remains on until I getup, whether I fall back to sleep or not
0800-0830 - pre walking the dog / letting the hens out, ‘qute on radio 4
1000 - 1600 ‘qute on in the study alternating between radio, paradise radio and streaming from my NAS
1600 - 1800 preparing food, ‘qute radio on
1800 - 2200 mostly TV going through main system (active Ovator 600)
2200 May listen to NAS through main system, more likely go to bed with an album lulling me to sleep going through a ‘qute

I find the tv setup gives clarity to the sound, even on difficult programs (e.g. Poldark). I wish we just listened to more music on it … as I write the TV is showing some cricket - very atmospheric.
I should comment that the dog often pricks his ears up to strange sounds on the tv, he obviously thinks the sound is very natural…

1 Like

I don’t do surround souind but I used to use an RCA to DIN patch cord for stereo from the telly to the pre but now take optical from TV to 555. I was watching American Gods on Amazon via a Firestick plugged into the telly last night and the sound was pretty decent during the opening music, I don’t really notice the sound quality during the actual programme but it probably has an impact some of the time, the dialog is a bit clearer through the 555. I tried taking optical from the Tivo V6 but the level was very low and apparently unadjustable so I gave up on that. The DVD 5 feeds a coax input on the 555 rather than using a Hiline from the analog output as it compromised the ND555’s performance significantly, with either earthing switch position and several mains plug order permutations.

TV and hi-fi in same room, but TV isn’t between the speakers so it sounds incredibly odd if I do play it through the hifi. A very odd take on Suround Sound and confuses the brain very much indeed when doing it.

My tv sits in between the speakers. Everything goes through the speakers as the tv is only a monitor and has no speakers of its own.

It all integrates perfectly.

4 Likes

Id be interested in the sonos beam.

Polar Bears figures on the mantle?

1 Like

What’s the tv Polarbear?

Its a Fujitsu monitor, its not a TV and doesn’t come with speakers.

1 Like

Thanks - so that’s the solution Polarbear

I do use my system for DVD/Blue Ray of performances. This is what I do with my TV when I am listening.

and when I am watching

1 Like

don’t have a TV anymore… nobody ever watched it anyway when we did have one.

1 Like

How does that effect the timing and tonal integration of the 5 speakers - and the lip sync?

Ditto.
I use a lip sync setting on my Humax Freeview box to improve the timing.
From memory I think it’s set to 20ms…?

1 Like

Mostly while I’m watching blu-ray /4K content.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.