Do you use your system instead of the TV speakers?

The paradox of my set up is that I listen to music more from the’qutes than the NDS.

That’s my living room setup - focused on surround-sound and movie-watching.
Optical out from the TV (last of the Panasonic Plasma Studio Master Displays) into Yamaha Aventage 5000-series.

Front L and R are handled by Naim (282 + HiCapDR + NAP250DR + NDX FM/DAB + 555PS).
Rega RP10 works with SuperLine and SuperCapDR.

6 Likes

Tried the tv going through my Naim gear, but it affected the quality of sound from my LP12. I only have the LP12 connected as a single source for optimum quality.

I’ve been meaning to buy a Dali Kubik One soundbar, but haven’t got around to it yet.

Strangely, I’ve never been bothered with TV sound through the hifi. Happy with the tv speakers.

G

My late-on produced Kuro (wall mounted - no speakers) is still going strong (touch a lot of wood), having had a new power board a few years ago. I play audio via the Naim system (2 channel suffices) and a major benefit is had when using Blu-Ray DVDs via my Oppo DVD player. The only downside is that leaving the TV audio connected to the pre can introduce a tad of hum in to the system - best removed IME when using the CD/LP inputs.

I use my system for audio from the TV all the time - TV speakers are rubbish, and I’ve got a posh stereo that sounds great with TV and games, is never switched off and is sat in the same room. In my context it’s a no-brainer.

1 Like

I run optical out of the Virgin media box into nDAC, still have a vintage panasonic 42" plasma with no tuner or speakers, but as Daveas (:neutral_face:) says, I do wonder if it smothers the dialogue. Music sounds excellent :grin:

No - as I answered in the opening survey - but the true answer in not so No/Yes. I have a cable from the Blu-Ray to the nDAC which allows me to IMPROVE the sound when I want to listen to music discs.

Having had TVs with Dolby digital surround sound (1990s) I went into the 5.1 set-up in the early 2000s buying a Pro-Ac speaker system - wonderful! But I then wanted to improve the Hi-Fi sound so, after buying a CD5x (and a year later FC2x), I bought into Naim amplification … with a SN1 … and realised that the AV sound (Pioneer) was no match for Naim.

In the meantime, I’d bought a Pioneer AV amp which dealt with HDMI to replace the old Pioneer AV amp (the new one has never sounded as good!) but now found I had 2 systems … one for AV, the other (better) for Hi-Fi. I used the AV gain in the SN to utilise the front speakers - but then had to replace the front speakers from the 5.1 set-up which couldn’t cope with the SN - and only last year, replacing the SN with a NAC 282, have completely separated the two systems …subject to the Blu-Ray option mentioned above.

Still with me?

Looking back, I’ve spent a lot of money on black boxes (Pioneer & Naim) and if I were to start over again I wouldn’t bother with the Pioneer amp.

Had I had the funds at the time I would have bought an AV2 (and other kit) … but, happily, I’d bought other kit before the nVi was released (I understand it has had a chequered history).

I still enjoy 5.1 sound when watching films but I think 2.0 sound from Naim would have happily sufficed.

I’ve tried using the MuSo Qb instead of the TV’s own speakers … a vast improvement!

Don’t forget that in a surround-sound set up the centre speaker carries around 50% of the soundtrack (dialogues, music, etc).
So using just stereo set-up is not an optimal solution…

3 Likes

I mainly use a Samsung Soundbar the Samsung TV is connected to my ND555 but is only used for music programmes.

I find that the Soundbar is better for general TV viewing as it has different setting for Speech,Movies etc etc.

Yes, I feed TV audio through my Naim system. All TV’s have lousy audio due to their flat panel construction. It can be a revelation on the right programme. That’s the problem. Finding a worthwhile prog.
I see a lot of reply’s to this topic do not watch any or little TV. Not surprising. Emmerdale anyone?

Douglas.

I suppose it’s not that surprising given the forum we’re on Douglas, I’d expect most people here to spend quite a bit of time listening to music rather than watching TV.

Haven’t watched TV according to any broadcast schedule in the last 5 years at least, and never did watch much; music is more important. However, when I do watch films on Blu-Ray, or TV via Netflix, Amazon (Sound Quality is awful), or BBC I-player, it goes through my main system. It would be a waste not to.

I do - optical out of the telly up one of the toslink ports of my 272. Paw Patrol sounds great through it.

3 Likes

I do as well, optical from my Sony Bravia into the NDX.

Used occasionally for bbc TV via iPlayer/Netflix on Sony DVD when viewing watching via Optoma projector (movie nights).

I route via the system for films but use a Sonos sound bar for regular TV listening which does the job nicely.

Don’t watch much telly, Netflix now and again and some bbc4 docs, ditched my tv provider a few years ago and now go free to air and haven’t looked back. Last night I was watching a drama and selected Bluetooth output on my Samsung and the Nova picked it up perfectly, sounded excellent other then my speakers are positioned away from the tv, still good though

For me, listening to music and watching TV are distinct activities. So the main hifi system and the TV+AV are in separate rooms. Musical engagement is a priority for the main setup, hence Naim. For the TV, the visual side dominates and the sound merely needs to be good enough, so we have a surround setup using a Marantz receiver with a set of KEF eggs & a subwoofer. We find this OK for films & the Beeb.

If we watched a lot of music on TV, we might opt for a more sophisticated setup. However, I can’t watch musical performances on the telly, especially classical, for any length of time as I find the fussy camerawork too annoying. Spotlighting a player in an orchestra, or a singer in a choir because they look attractive rather than because they have, say, an important solo simply distracts from the performance. Comparing, a broadcast of a prom on TV with the same on Radio 3, I get much more from the latter. Were I an opera buff, I might view this differently.

Roger

1 Like

Yes, my system’s fully integrated with a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 surround system & 77” OLED display. We love movies and music videos - we’ve got thousands of BluRays/4K discs, plus Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Netflix, Sky etc. etc.

1 Like