Dog Left Outside

Is it a Spaniel type dog. Hard to see from the pictures ?

It’s a very sad situation if they’ve realised that getting a dog wasn’t the best idea. Circumstances change, especially in this current climate, and it’s better to rehome a pet than not treat it properly if things have changed. There are plenty of others who can give a dog a proper home and care.

Good on you anyway for trying to help.

Our cats have a choice, there is a cat flap. Then each is different, one sits just inside and might follow me into the rain for a couple of minutes when I go to ghd bin. The other is backwards and forwards all day, sometimes sheltering, sometimes sitting in the wet, she will come in, shake herself over us, turn round and go out again.
To my mind, the OP picture is cruel.

It’s terribly upsetting when these things happen and it’s really hard to put it out of your mind. I think it’s quite common for dogs to be put out but they need proper shelter. For a dog to lie unmoving in heavy rain is not normal and suggests something serious. If you don’t feel comfortable speaking directly to your neighbour - and it’s hard to knock the door and then effectively accuse them of animal cruelty - I’d have a word with your council’s dog warden and explain the situation. While it’s hard to comprehend for anyone who either keeps animals or has a brain, some people are immune to the concept of animals having needs and feelings. I do hope you can resolve it for all concerned.

3 Likes

To answer some questions.

The dog is a Basset Hound and was a pup at the start of lockdown so it’s probably not even 12 months old. When they first got it they were all over it and now it gets stuck outside.

Even if the door to the Wendy house was open it still doesn’t qualify as a kennel according to the RSPCA.

I appreciate that the RSPCA have to follow some guidelines and rely on donations (of which I am a monthly contributor) so don’t have everlasting funds. But even a letter may have prompted them to improve the dog’s care or find it a real home.

Try the local PDSA if there’s one near you.

Leaving cats out all day/night is a huge issue (and a different topic) here as they kill over 2m native animals per year. I’d rephrase that and ask why if my dog is out off leash or unattended I’d risk a huge fine but cat owners think it’s alright for them to be roaming free and unsupervised.

I also think it’s every pet owners responsibility to provide the basic requirements, food/water, safe and dry shelter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.