The Listening Room Reality

The PEQ didn’t sound too bad, never tried convolution but some say it’s the way to go. At the back of my mind also was the thought I was no longer sending bit perfect data to my DAC.

btw One of my favourite albums in your avatar. Do you listen to the old Spacemen 3 stuff? I used to enjoy listening to this on an old tape recorder/radio

1 Like

One of my favourite albums is Playing with Fire, followed by Ladies & Gentlemen. I still remember seeing the video to revolution on Snub TV on BBC2. I bought the album based purely on a 5 star review in Sounds the music paper I loved back then. Had not heard them up to that point. I bought it and the put it on one of the hifi systems at the electrical retailer I was working for at the time. Blew me away, the rest of the shop and customers I don’t think felt the same way. :). Then got the back catalogue and followed both Sonic and Spaceman since.

Convolution in my opinion is fantastic. I was not prepared to how much it changed for the better. It takes a while to adjust as it can be a big change but you then start to notice things you have not heard before and my foot was tapping way more. It also becomes more transparent but without loosing my speakers voice. You can try it for free to. You only pay if you decide to go with it and he will tweak until your happy with it afterwards.

1 Like

If I still had my ATC SCM40 (great speakers, just too much bass for my room) I would have given the convolution a go in Roon. Don’t need anything on the Harbeth 30.1, they’re a good fit for room.

Isn’t it strange how music transports you back in time? Listening to Spacemen 3 takes me right back to our old council house in 1989/1990 when I was just 17 or 18. I remember walking to get the bus to go into town dressed like and thinking I was Sonic Boom.

Apologies to the op for the diversion.

1 Like

It sure does, it’s one of the draws for me. Key moments in my life are generally linked to music in some way. I’ve worn out my original vinyl of Playing with Fire had to get it on CD, it’s not the same at all. Try finding them digitally anywhere is also really hard.

1 Like

I heard today the Soulution 330 integrated with streaming Dac inside ( 24 k), with Magico A3 . The room was around 4X 8 m and 2,50 m high.
The corners had bass traps and absorbing panels at the back of the listener.
The sound was well resolved and with nice soundstage. However a bit clinical, cold for my tastes.
The problem was the bass , which was resonant, not clean and overwhelming. These speakers were not a good match for the room.
The dealer agreeded but get me understand he has a demand for Magico speakers.
He told me that another solution would be to treat completely the room, but he said he doesn’t like generally the results. He finds, like me, that the sound is not completely natural and lively with too much treatment.

We listened to other speakers, Magico A1 and Penaudio ( floorstanders at 8k). There was no bass problem.
Morality here: choose first the right speakers for your room. It’s the most important. Then optimize with acoustic treatment.

3 Likes

@PeterR

The pictures, at last :wink:

This is the result of 2 years learning, testing, making mistakes, learning again and finally obtaining the desired result :sweat_smile:

It is far from being perfect (compromises…) but it is hugely better.

Apart from being enjoyable for music, the room also became more peaceful. That relaxed atmosphere is quite pleasant when reading or playing with my daughter.

Room size : ~ 38-39 m2

9 x : Vicoustic Multifuser Wood 64 White
Diffusion range : ~125 Hz to 4kHz (probably more)

3 x : Vicoustic Multifuser DC2 white (cute/adjusted)
Diffusion range : 125 Hz to 4kHz (probably more)
Very effective!

26 x : Vicoustic Cinema Round Premium
Absorption range : 160Hz to 5kHz (probably more)

2 x : GIK Monster Bass Traps (in the bookcase – Custom sized)
Thickness 28cm – Absorption range : ~40Hz to 20kHz

2 x : GIK Monster Bass Traps (in the bookcase - Custom sized)
Thickness 20cm – Absorption range : ~45Hz to 20kHz

4 x : GIK Monster Bass Traps (against back windows – 170cm x 60cm)
Thickness 17cm (standard) – Absorption range : 50Hz to 20kHz

3 x : GIK Monster Bass Traps (No in the pictures- 180cm x 55cm)
Thickness 17cm (standard) – Absorption range : 50Hz to 20kHz

4 x : Vicoustic Super Bass Extrem (back corner)
Absorption range : 60Hz to 2,5kHz (probably more)

2 x : Streamer Pro Acoustic veils (Annette Douglas AG - Switzerland)
Covering windows
Absorption range : 500Hz to 8kHz (probably more)

1 x : Streamer Pro Acoustic veils (Annette Douglas AG - Switzerland)
Room separation
Absorption range : 500Hz to 8kHz (probably more)

24 Likes

This was my discovery too when I treated my room , never seems to be mentioned , but a great bi-product of correct room treatment. Relaxing just sums it up , you can just sit and meditate/contemplate/etc in the stillness and quiet.

Great room btw.

3 Likes

Absolutely, this was the unexpected and so very enjoyable bonus.

I moved into a new home recently and found the new, smaller room quite unacceptable whereas the previous room was perfect.

Initial listening was done with very little items in the room (sofa, rack, speakers). Bass wasn’t very good…far too much bass and muddy.

Certain variables improved the performance and these changes were carefully isolated to understand their affect (painstaking process and not how I wish to spend my time):

1. Changing amplifiers (I have several).
  2. Adding record shelves behind the speakers similar to Joaquin’s room.
  3. Changing speaker positioning (duh).
  4. Changing speakers. I have three speakers. All three perform differently. I have been unexpectedly delighted with one of these speakers in this room, which was not my first option.

All of these changes provided improvements to my problem.

While I might agree that record shelving technically doesn’t diffuse, the shelving must be doing something else to address the problem. Insistence that record shelving can’t help a problem is proven incorrect in my case. For my room, I know this because I have just isolated this variable and its effect.

I would also disagree about buying new speakers. This can also solve a problem but of course, often hard to audition speakers in home. Same for amplifiers. Room treatments are one solution but don’t lose sight of other ways to solve a problem.

3 Likes

Speakers should, of course, be chosen carefully. The larger the drivers the more pressure is put into the room. The S3 MkII were not my first choice, but after having listened to them I simply fell in love. Those speakers fit perfectly my tastes and the music I enjoy (mostly classical). The perfect speakers, for me, could have been the Magico M2, but these are out of reach.

Of course they do. It might scatter sound marginally and within a narrow frequency range. What it does mostly is absorbing within a range from ~2kHz to ~4kHz which makes a significant difference. Just like a rug or curtains. Furniture helps, of course.

Glad you could attend to your new room issues :smiley:

1 Like

Well finally…:face_with_monocle:
Thomas, your room looks every bit as cool, as I thought it would- great job and like my room glad to see, that you still get some daylight in there.
It is very interesting that both you and Folkman have commented on, how it has changed the atmosphere in the rooms. I find myself sitting in there not even necessarily listening to music, pondering over every day life or with my IPad looking out into the garden. There is a really serine atmosphere in the room now.All good :+1:t3: Peter

1 Like

10 Likes

Gorgeous room

1 Like

Thanks!

This was a concern when I ordered the Monster Bass Traps. Despite their size, 170cm x 60cm, daylight comes in sufficiently. These “traps” made an immediate and significant difference.

Back wall and ceiling treatment made the biggest improvement. I have some regrets regarding the front wall. Not sure diffusion was the best choice considering the distance between the front wall and the back wall :thinking:

Indeed, serene is the appropriate description.
My wife and daughter appreciate it very much, mostly just for sitting there and reading.

Hi Thomas.
Interesting observation which I can very much relate to. I put 2 QRD diffusers up on top of my big floor absorber resting against my front wall middle glass door equivalent of 1mtr. square ie. listening height. Thankfully I came to the conclusion ( view to the outside retained) that the difference was virtually inaudible. I have however managed rear wall well for 1st reflection. I am now using my QRDs for sidewall reflections purely determining location, if I can actually hear it makes a difference, thankfully having now reached a place with my room, where it boils down to fine tuning. :nerd_face: Enjoy your Sunday Peter

1 Like

The ‘alien’ / ‘robot’ on the left wall is a bit disturbing, but then if they like the music being played I suppose it’ll all be OK! :laughing:

2 Likes

The magic of light.
These eyes and mouth are 4 Vicoustic Cinema Round Premium absorbers staring at the listener and eating the unwanted reflected sound… if not the listener :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Turned up the hifi too loud. Those Sashas and my 500 blew the plaster of the ceiling. :grinning: Time for some room treatment.

11 Likes

Room treatment or acoustic room treatment ? I feel it was a joke Dan, yes ?

1 Like

Yes, funny?
I had a bath leak up stairs.

1 Like