Downsizing to Nova/LP12/S400

In 2006 I had Marten Design Miles II speakers, with a Bow Technologies Wazoo XL integrated. Then a series of circumstances made me buy (new) 202/200/Napsc/NAC A5 at an exceptional price. I had been in a Naim hiatus for long.
Pairing them with the Miles IIs proved totally incongruous - two completely different sonic cultures - and I chose to keep the Naims.

I have S400 downstairs and SU upstairs.
The latter is a fine amp.
If Nova is just about the same performance ?
I’d recommend a home demo against your 3-box Naim, there’s a world apart this amplication.

2 Likes

Just landed. Will put it through its pace over the weekend.:sunglasses:

22 Likes

All gone quiet here…

Everything connected, Nova powered up and sounds really good although sound is very bright still detailed but that could be mainly the Ovators, the room, etc…Not a patch on the main rig of course but I did not expected that.
Still sorting out app and NAS connectivity at the moment and I’ll give it a few days to settle in and see what happens.

3 Likes

it will fill out in the coming days…

1 Like

My first thought too…love seeing those original pressings!

1 Like

Thank you, Steve. I’m beginning to have second thoughts about the Nova. The older I get the less patient I am!:angry:

2 Likes

@Christopher_M - Thank you, Chris, although your reply seems to have vanished. Apologies as I have just deleted the post by mistake while trying to edit it. I had the same interconnect connected to my first generation Uniti analogue 5 pin input and it worked flawlessly. The 5 pin input on the Nova has a different degree/angle altogether.
Anyway, I have emailed Naim asking for advice.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks Tony. I had a sudden crisis of confidence and deleted my post because I didn’t want to be called out.

I looked again at the five pin analogue inputs on the Nova and decided they might be different to the ones on the back of my pre, so couldn’t be sure of my advice.

Hopefully, Naim will put you right.

Best, C.

1 Like

Yes, the first Uniti had a DIN phono input with power out pins to power a Naim phono stage.
I don’t think the Nova has this.

1 Like

The Uniti 1 has a 240° 5 pin Din that provides power to a Stageline. The Nova has standard 180° 5 pin Din input sockets without power outputs. The Nova cannot power a phono stage.

Does that answer the (invisible!) question?

1 Like

No, not really, Nigel. How do I connect the LP12 RCA/earth to the damn thing?
I could connect my other TT, the RP3/Cambridge Audio 640P, but that’s out of question.

Presumably you have a phono stage, which you connect to a Din or RCA input.

I do have a Chord DIN/RCA somewhere in the house and I suppose I could try it with the CA 640P . That will be tomorrow though.
Thanks for the suggestions.

if you have a full powerline try that on the nova… it makes a nice difference.

1 Like

Hi Tony, In the light of Nigel’s comment that the analogue DIN inputs on the Nova are the same as on a Naim preamp, this post is essentially the same as the one I deleted last night.

The Nova has not got a powered AUX2 for your Stageline S. Consequently you will typically need a HC, FC or iSupply to do the job. The record player signal is returned to one of the Nova’s 5 pin DINs with a Naim 4 pin - 5 pin interconnect, colloquially known as a 4-5 interconnect. Then you are in business.

My opinion is that if you have splashed on the Sondek to the extent you have, then look to the FC as a minimum for Stageline duties.

Best, C.

3 Likes

As Tony has a Supercap, that can be used as a test of the LP12 and Stageline. Power the Stageline from the SC and run a 4-5 interconnect to the Nova.

If the Nova stays the Stageline could be powered by a Flatcap or Hicap. An alternative is to sell the Stageline, forget the power supply, and just buy a good powered phono stage. There are lots of them around that people seem happy with.

4 Likes

I was going to say much the same, when I read this thread, I had a Nova with a good phono stage, a reasonable turntable and a Graham Slee phono stage, plus the inevitable power supply to the phono stage. The power cord and box can be hidden and the box is little bigger than a packet of 20 cigarettes :smoking:.

I was very happy with that until Naim released the Nait 50 , which offered a lower box count, so three boxes became one. I don’t stream other than R3…

3 Likes

Yep, very happy so far with my Rega Aura…and my Rp10 on the Nova.
My approach is just listen… “dont compare” :wink: that’s it.

3 Likes