DR upgrades discontinued

The dealers and distributors are Naim’s customers. They then inform their customers, who are you, me, and all the other end users.

You don’t buy Naim kit directly from Naim. You buy it from a dealer who stocks Naim. Naim supply the dealer.

6 Likes

In the real world, why should they? Nobody is going to die because of this. It’s just a little company stopping doing something. Times change. We move on. It’s not important.

1 Like

It’s really their issue. Let’s not worry about it.

1 Like

I see, I had read your words differently. The official communication could have been clearer about that as well, as seen by the speculation starting immediately.
I don’t have an issue with an upgrade program coming to an end as such.

In the wider scheme of things, nothing discussed on here is of real importance, but some of us have plans to DR our kit and would like some idea if there are plans to reintroduce it.

Remember no ‘little company’ can exist without taking its customers (end users) with it.

16 Likes

Naim’s communication to dealers and distributors was as follows;

Our acclaimed Discrete Regulator Technology was first introduced in 2012, and features across a range of products from power supplies and amplifiers, up to our flagship Statement system.

Since its introduction, and in keeping with an ongoing commitment to the sustainability of Naim hi-fi, we have offered upgrades to the DR spec, from previous, non-DR versions of Classic and 500 series products.

Due to ongoing supply chain challenges, and significant shortages of key components, we have taken the decision to discontinue this service, both in the form of in-house Naim Service performed DR upgrade and DR upgrade kits which can be purchased and installed by our partner service centres.

As it says, the DR upgrades have been offered for 10 years since DR was introduced. That must have given plenty of opportunity for most end users to have had their earlier kit upgraded if they wished to do so. It seems very reasonable to me.

15 Likes

I have no vested interest here as I do not own any non dr kit. But if I did I would not be happy that this was stopped with no warning.

3 Likes

That’s cool, thanks. It believe it should have been on the website. I understand that “the dealers and distributors are Naim’s customers” and “you don’t buy kit from Naim”, but Naim operates a public website that addresses customers directly. And that’s great, because having to rely on focal-naim.de would be really bad :wink: The news is not there either, by the way, and the Signal website did not get it across as clearly as the Naim communication had been.

2 Likes

Non DR owners have had YEARS to upgrade their kit. It’s well known certain parts are not available due to supply shortages which are causing product constraints. I don’t see why folks are getting upset about this.

3 Likes

Actually it did. I only screenshot the top part of the announcement. The statement that Richard quoted was directly below my screenshot.

I see, not the best choice then :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I looked at a DR upgrade recently it wasn’t cost effective anyway.

2 Likes

It’s been said before, and personally I agree, upgrading can be poorer value than selling non DR and buying a newer 2nd hand DR item. That’s what I did.

4 Likes

How so? I stated it was on the Signals site and didn’t link per forum rules. It wouldn’t be too onerous to check the posting.

You said you came across “this” and left out a quite important part. A link was not needed, just a more complete screenshot or a quote. I don’t think I was the only one to not get the whole picture. Not the end of the world, but I think you have to agree that it was not the best idea to drop a little bomb and leave out the explanation that was there

For goodness sake, keep it in proportion. Any fool can look it up. It was only a post, intended to help.

4 Likes

In isolation, not really a thing. As a trend though……

7 Likes

sure, it just could have been a bit more helpful. Whatever

Since when has buying anything from Naim audio been cost effective :rofl:

4 Likes

It is a shame that DR upgrades have to be discontinued but faced with supply shortages Naim have no choice but to prioritise DR modules for the production of new kit.

There are however better ways to communicate this than relying on the odd dealer to post it on their website, and a bit more notice would have been helpful.

The good news - no one died!

13 Likes