DR upgrades discontinued

Indeed. But there may be a few choking on their popcorn after the Munich show……

4 Likes

Not a big deal. Pre DR components are likely to suffer a resale hit but in fairness these things happen even in normal times. I don’t see why this is seen as a major issue.

2 Likes

Agree - wish all would get over talking about it

I’m out the door :crazy_face:

A question re DR components if I may, whether in original DR kit or DR upgraded kit. When the next service is due, is any work ordinarily required to the ‘DR bits’ (sorry if I’m getting too technical!) and, if so, would a compromised service be undertaken? Hopefully a non-issue and future servicing will not ‘un-DR’ naim boxes.

Peter

Shortage of components world wide has been pretty much common knowledge for a year or longer

If it was my business I would have announced it on the website and through the dealer network, as well as give customers a month or two to book their unit in before closing the programme down.

13 Likes

Yes but….there is still a link on the Naim website ‘sign up for news’ and I recall, for example, the direct mailing about the Solstice launch. So, to be fair to those suggesting customers could have been informed, Naim can,and does, choose to contact us directly when it wants to.

3 Likes

Given the shortage of parts I suppose they couldn’t announce it in advance. They would risk having a flood of bookings which would make the problem even worse and make new order delays longer too.

I looked into buying an Audi Q4 E-tron this week. If I put an order in now I might get delivery in July….2023 ! And we think Naim have issues!

1 Like

This may affect the used market though.

I nearly purchased a secondhand Supercap a year or so ago with the plan to get a DR upgrade at some point, I think the requirement to pay for a full service at the same time which came in not so long ago put me off that idea, especially if a pre-owned Supercap had been serviced relatively recently.

Hopefully this will be a temporary measure unless there’s something else/new around the corner either due to ongoing R&D or a necessity to change components.

1 Like

Some years ago I was a tad disappointed that my olive NAP250s couldn’t be DR’d as they weren’t modern enough but they’re still fine amps.

Naim survived for 39+ years before DR I doubt this is a major issue there’s more important things to worry about on this spinning blue ball.

1 Like

I think its clear from Naim’s wording that this isn’t ‘temporary’… :expressionless:

There has been plenty of time, to allow peeps to upgrade if they wished. Its also become debatable if it really works, cost wise, now.

2 Likes

I guess some wouldn’t mind a long wait if the alternative was no DR upgrade whatsoever… I am not affected by this, but I guess I would have been rather missed if I bought an elderly 552 for instance with a view to upgrade once funds have recovered — trusting in Naim’s commitment to older gear. For many this is the only way up to the ladder — especially with Naim’s recent price hikes…

I hope Naim will let a few Forum regulars — who have promoted the brand for donkey years and provided countless hours of “customer support” here — have a final dip into the DR upgrade. Kind of last call for those Naim faithful… That would be a great gesture towards the Forum I think.

Maybe @Richard.Dane could have an informal word with Naim’s leadership “on behalf” of the Forum?

3 Likes

That’s never going to happen. It’s in the wording ‘ceased with immediate effect’. That means kaput. Gone. Nada.

7 Likes

That is something they could have considered but arguably could cause more problems than it fixed. How on earth do you decide who can qualify and what cut off date applies.

1 Like

Not necessarily. My non DR 552 and 555PS are still in their service window. I’d held off sending them back for service and DR upgrade until Covid and supply issues had hopefully eased. Are Naim still offering standard service of non DR units? Seems to be my only option now as buying new isn’t really a way for me.

Sniff test — you smell it and know whether it’s right, or indeed wrong… The regulars are known to Naim and @Richard.Dane. I don’t think it would be terribly difficult, and if in doubt lean towards the more generous side. It would be appreciated by the community and of course the happy customers who make it over the finishing line… Will probably increase their commitment to Naim! It’s a gesture that will pay back — I have no doubt!

And does one really expect a flood of requests from the Forum? E.g. how many non-DR 552 or 500 are around here? As pointed out here and elsewhere, upgrading other kit might not the most economical option, though still some might still prefer upgrading their non-DR 300 to a second-hand 300DR “gamble”…

Obviously Naim might want to avoid a too public debate at this point in time. It’s something for “behind the scenes” for the time being — and in a few months’ time we “discover” a few happy late DR upgrader…

@Mick_B — sniff… Not a difficult call in my view… :sweat_smile:

Naim customers have been very lucky to have had the opportunity of upgrading their non-DR stuff for such a long period. I can’t think of another manufacturer who’s done that. Those who haven’t DR-ed their electronics have had ten years to do so. And non-DR stuff is not exactly rubbish…

6 Likes

Seems more and more grumpy old men here … life goes on; which other company would offer upgrades for a decade …

4 Likes