DSD on Naim Streamers

The DAVE has either a PCM or DSD mode of optimisation (filters etc), where you select your dominant format, where DSD is converted to analogue or PCM converted to analogue in an optimal way other Chord DACs I am aware of don’t do this and there is no DSD or PCM configuration mode.
I quite like DSD on the Hugo original

1 Like

Well spotted. I’d missed the 2002 MFSL release.

You’d have to be especially unlucky to pick ten DSD releases and not like the mastering choices on any of them… however I understand that it is possible (likely?) that DSD is going to be -6dB lower than the equivalent PCM, which is going to have to be compensated for somewhere for a fair comparison. Gain structuring can be important.

Edit - just played back a selection of the 2L test bench files on ND5XS2 via Roon; as far as I can see DSD, FLAC, MQA all play back within 0.1dB. I guess it’s not a case of ‘turn it up’ this time…

I have not compared the same dsd files I have with other sources, but I am quite sure some dacs, who play dsd without conversion, can do better.
I am aware that my example is not the best, however some reviews point the superiority of the dsd version vs cd, for that album. This track was and is often played on Audio Showrooms.
Will listen to Carmen Gomes this weekend…on dsd, dxd, and Flac.

The variety of Cafe Blue releases is interesting. How about the unmastered version?

Ok, wanted to say DXD and 16/44 Flac

I’m not sure how you can reach such a conclusion if you haven’t compared other sources.

Anyway, a lot of DSD files I rip from hybrid SACDs. The CD layer is mastered most of the time by the same engineer in the same way at the same time. I have never come across one example where the DSD layer sounds inferior to the CD layer. There are a few examples where the CD layer sounds markedly worse (Dark Side Of The Moon comes to find, but this was because it was compressed compared to the DSD layer so not a like for like comparison). Which 70s Kevin Gray masterings do you have and are you able to compare them with their equivalent CD rips?

I listen to the Cafe Blue version on Tidal Hifi and it sounds great!

1 Like

I listened to the Tidal version last night too - it’s the only version I have access to without actually buying something. I can’t see what the fuss is about, but that might be because the music didn’t really get me. I’ll try again though.

Any idea which version is on Tidal? I couldn’t work it out…

I have very different DSD, some free samples from HD tracks, some jazz rock from the 70’s( Jeff Beck, George Duke…), Patricia Barber…so only one from Kevin Gray.
No one sounds better vs the 16/44.

However it doesn’t me at all, because most DSD are remasters from albums of the analog era. I prefer much more listening them on lp.

Why not Richeroo , he has more DSD albums and doesn’t like too.
For me there are so few DSD that interest me that it’s absolutely not a problem.

I was listening last night to some DSD - you are right most of my stuff is relatively early … listened to Dire Straights … 1978. Its good - I enjoyed it … its not a problem … I suppose I have been spoilt with some outstanding flac … of a more recent era… although I have a flac from an early M Jackson Bad CD … it sounds amazing…

I can only speculate but it sounds to me from what you’re saying that your issue is with the mastering choices, not DSD. Turn the volume up and see how it sounds then.

Nah. Still not doing it for me. Neither ‘content’ nor ‘sound’.
Not that I had any ‘audiophile’ credibility in the first place…

This works though. For me.

Perhaps Olik, perhaps. But 10 different DSD , differently mastered, sound less fine for me vs the 16/44 format. Three of them are advertised by HD tracks as their best DSD samplers.
Maybe I should say : I have not yet heard a DSD album through my Nds that sounds very good to my ears. I guess you prefer that conclusion.

On 16/44 it sounds great. Fully agree.

1 Like

I wouldn’t believe what HD Tracks tells you if I were you. They just sell what the labels give them.

If you’re buying DSD tracks online, it’s highly unlikely that the 16 bit versions you’re comparing them to are the same masterings. You would need to convert the DSD files to PCM which as I understand it is a lossy process. Much better to compare the DSD layer of an audiophile hybrid SACD with the CD layer. In most cases, they should sound very similar, at least in terms of dynamic range and EQ choices.

Just catching up on this thread

Seem to have nearly the entire collection in DSD64!

1 Like

Only native DSD sound quiet good… don`t use SACD ripping from PS3SACD to DSD. they sound bad

1 Like

You seem to be a strong defender of the DSD format Olik. However I see that you use the Chord Hugo Dac with your Ndx.
Did you compared some DSD albums through Ndx alone vs Ndx/ Hugo ? I am curious.