Dual / Multiple Citizenship

Just wondering if there are many here who have multiple citizenships.
I am a British national with Maltese citizenship, granted on the basis that my mother was Maltese. This in turn makes me an EU citizen and gives me the same rights as any other EU citizen.
Incidentally, anyone who wants to become an EU citizen can apply to either Malta or Cyprus and for the lowly sum of some €650,000 they will willingly sell you a passport. (Conditions apply) :joy: Get in there quick as the EU powers that be are trying to close this down.

Hi raym55
Dual citizenship can no doubt have advantages and also disadvantages, just look at USA citizens who reside in other countries and often get taxed in both.
Can’t condone people “buying citizenship” as its often unfair to those without the financial means. Hope EU clamp down of this practice.
I am UK citizen and for me Eu travel in future is not a problem, no different to travel to most other parts of the world.

I have 4 citizenships, two of them from EU countries.

007 perhaps? :wink:

Nearly :wink:
Well, not me :joy:
One of my parents.

1 Like

Half of this forum wants to date your mum,
Thomas.

1 Like

I wish I could regain my EU citizenship.

4 Likes

Do a cloud computing course & certification for Amazon, Google, Azure and you can get a work permit in any country. Following this after a number of years a citizenship is often possible.

Republic of Ireland is quite easy to get. Hardest bit was finding a priest or policeman to verify your likeness on the photograph.

Fortunately there’s no tax liability. :neutral_face:.

Ha! Had to do that when I lived in Dublin for a mortgage in France - everyone in the office said they won’t do it - walked into the Guards expecting to be shown the door and walked out with a signature and official Garda stamp.

From memory doing my passport, they were the only 2 types of people that could confirm an identity/ likeness. Odd. But typical Ireland, no questions asked!

1 Like

I had taken out the mortgage with HSBC the bank that has an office in every country of the world - apart from Ireland. So my only option was the Garda

If you are fortunate enough to have a second home in an EU country you will now only be able to spend 90 days in any 180 day period in it.
You no longer have an automatic right to live, work in or retire to an EU country.
If you ever take a pet in to the EU that is now massively more complicated.
From 2022 you will probably need to apply for a visa waiver similar to the ESTA for travel t the US.
If by travel to the EU you mean 2 weeks in Benidorm once a year then yes things probably won’t be too much different apart from not being able to use the electronic passport gates and maybe a grilling from the immigration officers.

3 Likes

I think we can do a little better than Benidorm, and often go away for 2/3 months at a time touring or on holidays. ESTA for USA is just so easy and no problem. You’re right about the restrictions on living or working in the EU but again there are workarounds for anyone with a little common sense. Off to Greece next and anticipate no issues. Glad to see the UK decided not to reciprocate much with similar restrictions for our European friends. One or two do seem somewhat miffed at the UK for some reason or other. Don’t have a second home in Europe, frankly the sometimes dubious legal side of such ownership (depending upon the Country concerned) when the UK were members was enough to put us off.
No doubt dual citizenship has some advantage but nothing to raise the roof about. I personally believe I am better off but obviously many will hold the opposite view.

Mmmm! At a certain age free medical treatment is not to be sniffed at.
For me, although there are advantages, it is more a case of identity. I am as proud of my Maltese heritage as I am my British. That is enough of a reason for me.

2 Likes

I believe the medical treatment issue is under negotiation and in the interim existing valid EHIC cards will still be honoured in the EU.
Every one should be proud of their identity and roots. A feeling of belonging can help hold a society together. Dual citizenship in this regard is no doubt important to those who qualify by birth or parentage. For me though I don’t qualify for dual citizenship and am very happy with that.

I have both Canadian and British citizenships.

2 Likes

Would you care to expand on your post?

This is a public forum, not sure giving that kind of private details is a wise thing to do.

Let’s say that my parents occupation compelled us to move. That brought some good/useful things like a few languages and some passports.