East meets West Fusion

I’m a huge fan of this type of fusion music and would love to hear of your favourite East meets West music.

I’ll kick off with a brand new release EABS meets Jaubi who have a new record In Search of a Better Tomorrow out EABS are from Poland and Jaubi Pakistan below is a live recording.

I’m a big fan of this type of music. Will certainly listen to the EABS x Jaubi release as I saw a great review of it a couple of weeks ago.

My suggestion is Sarathy Korwar and how about the great double live album My East is Your West

2 Likes

Night Song album by Michael Brook and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

IMG_7588

4 Likes

Afro Celt Sound System - everything they did -

3 Likes

Anything from Shakti or Remember Shakti, of course.

3 Likes

My favourite Algerian meets west rock band……Tamikrest

4 Likes

1 Like

Nicolas Meier. Early Naim recording.

1 Like

@anon74694884 thank you for these recommendations.

1 Like

Thanks Mick wish Naim released this on vinyl.

1 Like

Try some Harry Manx and see it that hits the spot.

Two of his I like are Wise and Otherwise

…and Mantras for Madmen

2 Likes

Anything by Shakti, Remember Shakti and of course the Mahavishnu Orchestra although the latter is mainly electric but try the track ‘A Lotus On Irish Streams’ from ‘The Inner Mounting Flame’ (1971) and ‘Lotus Feet’ from ‘Inner Worlds’ (1976). The much more recent John McLaughlin solo album ‘Floating Point’ (2008) has eastern overtones as he moved back to a more electronic fusion vein with the ‘Fourth Dimension’. Also the John McLaughlin Trio ‘Live at the Royal Festival Hall’ (1990) has a more acoustic eastern feel. From UK fusion what about ‘Sun In the Night’ from the album ‘Moroccan Roll’ (1977) by Brand X which also has eastern influences. I have also just thought of the track ‘Japan’ (1977), by Be Bop Deluxe, released as a single in the ‘Drastic Plastic’ era. Not strictly fusion but a slightly eastern sound was intended here, if not really authentic.

2 Likes

Maybe fits the bill?

3 Likes

Actually bought this record a couple of months back a very, very talented young lady eagerly awaiting a new record.

1 Like

Hi @anon74694884 thanks again the Jools Holland Karmacona is a youtube favourite but wasn’t aware of the Protection sample very interesting.

As much as I love Blue Lines one of the best debuts ever IMO I always preferred Protection it’s not often that a second LP is better than a debut but in this case it is ending it with that live version of Light My Fire was genius.

Keep the posts coming.

1 Like

Balkan big beatz.
IMG_1273

2 Likes

Tenderlonious – Ragas From Lahore, Improvisations With Jaub

3 Likes

Still trawling my collection.

2 Likes

IMG_1275

2 Likes

Paris meets Vietnam.