End of my tether

The Phoenix (USB reclocker) is not needed for this example.

The main difference in all your options is does the TT2 sound better to you via USB or S/PDIF. If no difference then the NDX2 is not bringing anything to the party (apart from a different control app) SQ wise.

If the S/PDIF input does sound better, and you want to stick with a Naim then look at comparing the NDX2 and ND5XS2 driving the TT2.

At the end of the day and using your examples, the NDX2 (analogue output) and Chord DACs have a different presentation. Maybe doing this comparison first would at least give you a starting point as to where budget is best allocated based on your system and particular preferences.

1 Like

Hi I have just gone back to your first post on this thread … I have had a varied journey with hifi and made various choices … some disastrous, some ok, some side steps … all involving mixing components to get the best. Now without a doubt in theory if you get the balance right…you can get a superb system. However, you will need to do allot of auditioning and swapping of components … this is ok for hifi reviewers but a nightmare … for the likes of us plebs… So for me I decided to build a whole Naim setup (you could chose any other make) and assemble components known to have synergy… ie 552 with 500 … (there are various amp/pre combinations known to give excellent results). For me this has been a revalation over the years I have built up a system that really delivers and is satisfying… and in a way it has saved me allot of time and money. I will give an example … I was very tempted to buy a Chord Dave and drive my NAP500 directly saving the cost of the 552… I was very close to going down that route… I then heard a Dave into NAP300 … and it was very dissapointing … I don’t know why in theory it should have been great. So be very careful with your hard earned cash … have a think and further discuss with the great guys on here…

2 Likes

I am confused. Why would the Phoenix not be needed? It’s not needed in any scenario but by all accounts a reclocked DAC is a better DAC.

Hi just looking at you system that pre amp looks stretched … just a thought

Hi Mike - the Phoenix only reclocks the USB output of the USB source (in this case the Zenith) so you’d use it with a DAC that had a USB input. If you’re using the NDX2 then this will be connected via an Ethernet cable, no USB connection involved here.

Similar thought here — I guess system balance is key, as @frenchrooster indicated earlier…

2 Likes

Maybe 282…would be worth considering does that work well with Nap200??

Yes it does. The 200DR is not outclassed - sources currently HDX and LP12

202/200 is perfectly balanced and 202 post Class A service earlier this year is superb. 282 off the agenda for me as I consider it an over-priced anomaly in the Naim range whose rather glassy presentation does not appeal despite its other qualities. Let’s leave that there. A change in amplification is off the agenda.

Having heard an NDX2 plus XPS2 DR into my exact system bar speakers at my dealers I have no concerns at all about the 202 in any way being over-stretched.

Are you saying then that the Chord does not have a USB input?

No i’m not saying that. I commented that your proposed

NDX2 + Chord TT2 + Innuos Zenith + Phoenix

Didn’t need the Phoenix as you wouldn’t be using the USB connection. I’m assuming your proposed setup is the Zenith as the source containing your music, the NDX2 is connected to the Zenith via Ethernet and the TT2 is connected to the NDX2 via a coaxial S/PDIF cable.

The Chord does have USB, in this set up the Innuos would be used as a streamer/server and the Chord as the DAC, this makes the £5k NDX2 investment questionable, which would pay for the Phoenix plus some change.
In terms of your options the last one.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a Core plus NDX2 give the required functionality??

They say a picture is worth a thousand words…

In all cases the Zenith is used for ripping, music storage duties.

Zenith and NDX2

Zenith and NDX2 and TT2

Zenith and TT2

Zenith and Phoenix and TT2

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Interesting. Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, that’s excellent. Thank you.

1 Like

That makes me laugh — he wants to spend more than 5K on Innuos boxes he doesn’t really understand, and then thinks the 282 is overpriced…

Good luck with your journey — you’ll need it…

2 Likes

Like you I see no point of having Ndx2 with Chord dac with Zenith. Or only if the Zenith is used as a Nas/ server, connected just to a switch.
If not that, it’s Zenith ( as streamer and server) into Chord or Ndx2 ( as streamer) into Chord.

1 Like

Wow, over the years I’ve found this forum friendly and helpful. The comments of others have been a small joy in my day. With maybe 2 other exceptions, also on my ignore list, they have been tolerant, helpful, full of positive suggestions and so on. Your comment is entirely out of keeping with the tone of the forum and this thread so forgive me if I add you to my ignore list.

I’ve been working 10 to 12 hour days for 6 months now. I feel privileged to do so. I’m well aware of how these things work. That doesn’t mean that other people’s posts read clearly with the level of tiredness I’m currently operating at Add in a visual impairment and it’s a heady mix.

Your contempt is frankly unwelcome.

3 Likes

I thinks there’s a lot in favour of doing exactly this and keeping it simple and it will be a great, well matched and balanced system.

6 Likes

Hi Mike,
In the nicest possible way, the hours and those physical conditions sound, very, very stressful.

I hope you can get some time off - and my very gentle suggestion is that any purchases are made when feeling slightly less under the cosh. If it was me I too would favour a simple system that you feel comfortable with . I would also throw into the mix the idea of a CD transport for your CDs utilising the excellent DAC in the name product , or maybe a universal player ?

l hope you can get some “Me” time soonest

I ended doing those hours during a period of deep depression caused by a bereavement and it is not healthy, to be blunt it set up a situation where mind affected body a little later. That illness and the resulting surgery helped shortened my career - considerably

My very best wishes

Ian
PS It’s easy to say these things when you are retired , but I don’t know if you can do a week’s self certification ?

5 Likes