End of my tether

That makes me laugh — he wants to spend more than 5K on Innuos boxes he doesn’t really understand, and then thinks the 282 is overpriced…

Good luck with your journey — you’ll need it…

2 Likes

Like you I see no point of having Ndx2 with Chord dac with Zenith. Or only if the Zenith is used as a Nas/ server, connected just to a switch.
If not that, it’s Zenith ( as streamer and server) into Chord or Ndx2 ( as streamer) into Chord.

1 Like

Wow, over the years I’ve found this forum friendly and helpful. The comments of others have been a small joy in my day. With maybe 2 other exceptions, also on my ignore list, they have been tolerant, helpful, full of positive suggestions and so on. Your comment is entirely out of keeping with the tone of the forum and this thread so forgive me if I add you to my ignore list.

I’ve been working 10 to 12 hour days for 6 months now. I feel privileged to do so. I’m well aware of how these things work. That doesn’t mean that other people’s posts read clearly with the level of tiredness I’m currently operating at Add in a visual impairment and it’s a heady mix.

Your contempt is frankly unwelcome.

3 Likes

I thinks there’s a lot in favour of doing exactly this and keeping it simple and it will be a great, well matched and balanced system.

6 Likes

Hi Mike,
In the nicest possible way, the hours and those physical conditions sound, very, very stressful.

I hope you can get some time off - and my very gentle suggestion is that any purchases are made when feeling slightly less under the cosh. If it was me I too would favour a simple system that you feel comfortable with . I would also throw into the mix the idea of a CD transport for your CDs utilising the excellent DAC in the name product , or maybe a universal player ?

l hope you can get some “Me” time soonest

I ended doing those hours during a period of deep depression caused by a bereavement and it is not healthy, to be blunt it set up a situation where mind affected body a little later. That illness and the resulting surgery helped shortened my career - considerably

My very best wishes

Ian
PS It’s easy to say these things when you are retired , but I don’t know if you can do a week’s self certification ?

5 Likes

Have you considered a relatively simple approach of a used HDX for ripping and storage, the NDX2 for streaming your ripped CD’s as well as access to Tidal or other streaming services and plug the NDX2 directly into your 202 via an analogue connection.
It might prove a cost effective and most enjoyable streaming alternative to the multiple boxes above.
I use my HDX into my NDX2 (with XPS2) plugged into my 252 via analogue and couldn’t be happier. (without spending zillions…)

@Ian2001 thank you for the thoughts. Work is actually exhilarating at present and I’m in a really good place with it even when exhausted. My sole issue is being spoken to like I’m an idiot on here when that’s so not the norm on this forum. Persons blocked permanently so that’s resolved itself.

As regards pushing the button on purchases, I’ve resisted streaming for a long time and I can resist a while longer. The issues with my system at first profoundly depressed me, thus this thread, but more recently have focused and engaged me.

I see the NDX2 as a logical next step with my system, retaining the CDX2 until it dies and putting the XPS2 wherever it seems to have the most impact. A Naim evening in Manchester and a demo at my dealers have not changed my mind on that. However, I won’t be pushing the button until I’ve saved enough to cover at least the NDX2 and a Zenith so a little way to go yet.

The Innuos came into this because my dealer was using it and the whole family instantly understood the concepts. The Phoenix got me thinking that there are other options here so why not discuss and think about them. I love the sound of my CDX2. There is nothing else like it but it’s near impossible to replicate via other devices and unlike many here I’m not beholden to any one presentation. I previously had a Micromega CDP, which is about as far away as you can get from an original CDX2.

@Blythe I’d not considered a HDX but I would ideally be looking for a 2 box solution so, yes, something else to throw into the mix.

1 Like

I have a CDX2 and am very happy with it, so fully understand

Ian

2 Likes

I think I’m finally about to crack…Apologies for the rant but the past 8 years have been a constant battle against the system rather than enjoyment of the system. I know it can sing. I’ve heard it sing. Then it doesn’t. Enough already.

This is a long tether…

3 Likes

Almost getting excited. Been a good month financially so I’ve enough for an NDX2 and I’m more than a third if the way to a Zenith. Early 2021 I reckon.

5 Likes

And so it comes to this. The money is there for changes/upgrades. I think the choice is one of two.

1 - NDX2 plus Innuos Zenith Mk 3.
2 - Innuos Zenith Mk 3 plus Phoenix Reclocker plus DAC.

Latter route allows streaming from Tidal and the Innuos for local rips of my CDs. As far as I can see the only other objective difference is that the Naim offers wi-fi whereas Innuos is Ethernet only.

The Innuos would also mean that the 15 year olds first gen Muso upstairs couldn’t access the CDs unless we used something over the mains. For me that’s an “over my cold dead body scenario” but I’d entertain it if convinced of minimum detriment.

On the DAC front I am thinking a Chord Hugo 2 would be a good place to start.

Opportunities to demo are obviously limited at present but before I do thoughts would be welcome on:

• is the Chord objectively superior to the NDX2 DAC in any defined way?

• are there any considerations I’ve missed?

Omg … you need a very patient dealer…

4 Likes

This might not be the case. The Innuos uses Logitech Media Server and it’s possible to stream WiFi to the Muso using the Logitech Media Server App.

I’m in the process of setting this up at the moment, everything is going swimmingly, apart from fact no music is coming out of the QbMk1. Although I’m sure it’s just a matter of tweeking the settings.

You will have check if it’s possible to enable the UPnP/DLNA bridge plug-in, if this is required.

DonTomLondon is the man to ask.

That’s useful to know. Thank you very much for that. The other poster has just been added to the “ignore forever” list.

Yes, I think this remains on the table. TT2 or Hugo 2 plus the two Innuos boxes rather than an NDX2.

Hi Mike, I think you have a few good options there, I’ve recently bought Chord Dave and Chord Etude, I have the Innuos Zen Mk3 and have considered the Phoenix reclocker but may go for the Chord M Scaler, need a demo of both.
The NDX2 comes with a good dac, the Zenith is a good streaming platform, I guess best outcome is spending your hard earned without too much overlap, which would make me favour option 2.

Thanks. I also had in mind the ongoing thread on obsolescence. The NDX2 has the new streaming platform but I’m not fussed about multiple services. Just Tidal and internet radio would suffice. On the other hand you can only improve things by adding an external DAC and rendering some of the NDX2 redundant.

The other route appeals, amongst the reasons already specific because nothing seems likely to have that redundancy issue.

1 Like

I’d think the preferred sound presentation would be the decider. I don’t think redundancy in the NDX2 is an issue for internet services - it has enough buffering and changes in internet streaming are managed through the app.

1 Like

I think you’re right Mike. It will come down to presentation. I’m very open to different presentations but my post was more to make sure there was nothing else obvious I was missing having potentially narrowed myself down to these two routes.

1 Like

I guess one factor is the future option of adding a power supply to the NDX2.

1 Like