End of my tether

Are you looking to buy the Phoenix too Mike ?

Yes, not heard it and there’s not many Innuos dealers advertising it, but there’s also nothing bad being said about it. As of last night I’ve enough for the Zenith mark 3 and the Phoenix assuming I go for the 1TB. My aim is 2TB.

Of course no point in purchasing anything just yet until I can also afford the NDX2.

In other news the 15 year old decided to demonstrate his independence by powering up the system post storm… backwards :frowning:

Ah ok - I’m just curious as to why you want the Phoenix as this is a USB reclocker and not needed for the NDX2 ?

2 Likes

Indeed it is. Consensus is that it takes the Zenith to just short of the Statement. If accurate it represented then something of a bargain albeit we know it’s not accurately represented in that it’s reclocking what most people would assume it is.

Supposedly it does Mike. I’m just wondering why you want to add the Phoenix if you’re looking to go to the NDX2 ?

If you were using the Zenith with a USB DAC then the Phoenix would make sense as it’s a USB reclocker. Going the NDX2 route would use Ethernet so no need for the Phoenix.

Can also use the Innuos via USB just as a primary server.

Yes I understand it has a USB output to enable it to connect to a USB DAC. I just thought you were connecting an NDX2 hence my question. What DAC are you thinking of using with the Zenith ?

Edit - just read back up the thread and see you are getting an interim DAC before the NDX2. It’ll be interesting to see how much the Phoenix adds when you demo.

I would ultimately be using the DAC within the NDX2 but may well go for something interim.

So, enough money in the bank for an NDX2 and some decisions to be made.

I could get the streamer now alongside the underperforming CDX2 and just use it for Tidal and internet radio over wi-fi. Will hard wire eventually but not top of my list.

Could wait until I can afford an Innuos also.

Could just buy a good quality DAC and an Innuos Zenith. Latter would as I understand it give me Tidal etc. Would asking then have the option of the Phoenix rep locker.

If I’m going to keep saving (this may cease to be practical soon) I could just forget about the reclocker and go for a Statement.

Thoughts?

Still not played a CD in 6 months. My dealer still has my XPS2 and Burndy as I e been doing 10 to 12 hour days for months now and am struggling to stay on top of all comms with the outside world.

Hi Mike, I have been considering similar issues recently, decided to change over one of my Novas and go with a different set up.
I already had bought an Innuos Zen a few years ago as a Unitiserve replacement and started to look at a system using this as a server and streamer adding a DAC. I now have a Chord Dave on order along with a Chord Etude amp to match up with the Zen. This gives me Tidal, Qobuz, Roon and server.
I have asked Innuos about adding the Phoenix reclocker, they advised it would lift performance above the Zenith but suggested the Statement was the better solution, they would given the price !. Everything I have read suggests the Zenith plus the reclocker gets you quite near the Statement level but for considerably less cost, my dealer suggests the same.
Hopefully this is helpful.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve been reading the same things as you I suspect.

Lockdown has been kind to me financially albeit that may be about to end. I think I can stretch to a Zenith and Phoenix and was wondering about the Dave. Going down that route I’m wondering what exactly the NDX2 would have to offer as an alternative? My amplification is below yours but I figure source first etc. Will be interested to see what you think of the Dave and whether you go for the Phoenix.

Mike, I would say get a home demo of the NDX2 if you can. If you like it then put the CDX2 up for trade and invest in a NAS and rip your CD’s and stream through the NDX2. I would also trial both Qobuz and Tidal to see which you like best. I went with Qobuz after running TIDAL for 2 1/2 years. The catalogue of albums more to my liking, availability of hi-res quality albums and a lower monthly price made more attractive then TIDAL for me.

You have been on a long journey, good luck with your decision moving forward.

3 Likes

Had a dealer dem of the NDX2 and two Innuos options. Liked it all. I can’t be bothered with a NAS and think the Innuos the better family option.

I definitely can’t stretch to a Dave but I am wondering how a lesser DAC plus the Innuos and its Phoenix would fare compared to the NDX2 and an Innuos etc.

Nice to finally have some options on the table. I could put the CDX2 into the mix but initially it makes swhse ri keep ot and I’m not sure what the market is for an 18 year old CDP.

1 Like

Er you’ve mentioned it I think as have others. It’s a 15 year old Toshiba DVDP and it’s not even in the ball park. It’s certainly not part of this discussion.

Huh? Any reason you copied me?

You posted a reply which now appears to have been deleted. You or a forum glitch? Interesting if the latter. Game playing if the former.

Then listen to a Chord Hugo TT2? A very fine DAC to my ears, and later you have the option of adding Chord’s MScaler. That combined with Innuos should present a cracking source!

2 Likes

Noted, thank you.

Don’t forget the Chord Qutest too. Good luck Mike, I’ll be interested in your findings and what you end up with.

I would also consider other DACs too.
I now have the Matrix Audio X-Sabre PRO DAC on the end of my NDX2. It’s beautifully made, sounds great with the NDX2 as transport, and offers flexibility with different PMC filter settings.

I had it’s bigger brother, the Element-X on home demo which is a streamer, DAC and headphone amp (which I loved), but went with the X-Sabre Pro as I only need the DAC.

1 Like