End of my tether

Just remember the DAC is interim. Faced with a similar requirement and after trying a 2qute I decided spending any more than that was too much for a year or two and made do with a Rega DAC-r. It turned out to be a very enjoyable solution but I was feeding it from a Uniti Core via SPDif using a Belden 4794R rather than USB. The cable choice made a surprisingly large difference.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
If you like the idea of the Innuos Zenith + dac option, then the alternative that I have ended up using is the Audiostore Prestige 3 server, which is equivalent to a Zenith but with a much faster processor and is about a thousand pounds less.

I started with Prestige 3 out to Chord dac and it worked fine, especially with a posh USB cable.
However, I then inserted a Sonore opticalRendu in front of the dac to act as streamer and Roon endpoint. It’s a fabulous streamer - compact and capable.

The combination of Prestige 3 server (with built in cd ripper and SSD storage) + opticalRendu sounds considerably more musical than a Zenith 3 direct to dac, at least to these cloth ears.

Hope this helps rather than confuses, BF

The last time I replied to you you was July 20th.

Hi @mikehughescq,
All the different choices you referred will give you a lot of satisfaction, like Innuos Statement, Zenith, with outboard dac or used in Upnp with a streamer like an Ndx2.
However, as you have 202/200 electronics, I feel a 10k server like the Innuos Statement is perhaps out of balance, IMHO.
Ndx2/ Xps dr / Innuos Zen would be great, and with a sound signature similar to Cdx2 / Xos2, but better.
In that set up, you don’t need a reclocker, just Ethernet connecting to a switch. ( no usb or spdif).
The Server ( Innuos) is an important component, however I think, like many, that a dac is more important still.
The Innuos Statement is more at home with an Nd555, DCS Rossini and 500 series, like the Melco N10.
Of course, you can have also an Innuos Zenith, expensive reclocker with a cheap dac, but the contrary will sound better in general.
Obsydian has done that, but his goal is to have the best 2 boxes system possible, Nova / Audiophileo / Innuos Zenith in his case.

Interesting comments. Thank you all. The Chord TT2 seems like a balanced choice budget and sound wise. I’ve not auditioned but obviously would if needs be. Let’s assume it’s the choice.

Let’s also assume the next step is permanent rather than interim. Options for example might be

NDX2 + Innuos Zenith Mk3

or

NDX2 + Chord TT2 + Innuos Zenith

or

NDX2 + Chord TT2 + Innuos Zenith + Phoenix

or

Chord TT2 + Innuos Zenith + Phoenix

What do I lose if I don’t have an NDX2? What do I gain with a separate DAC?

The Phoenix (USB reclocker) is not needed for this example.

The main difference in all your options is does the TT2 sound better to you via USB or S/PDIF. If no difference then the NDX2 is not bringing anything to the party (apart from a different control app) SQ wise.

If the S/PDIF input does sound better, and you want to stick with a Naim then look at comparing the NDX2 and ND5XS2 driving the TT2.

At the end of the day and using your examples, the NDX2 (analogue output) and Chord DACs have a different presentation. Maybe doing this comparison first would at least give you a starting point as to where budget is best allocated based on your system and particular preferences.

1 Like

Hi I have just gone back to your first post on this thread … I have had a varied journey with hifi and made various choices … some disastrous, some ok, some side steps … all involving mixing components to get the best. Now without a doubt in theory if you get the balance right…you can get a superb system. However, you will need to do allot of auditioning and swapping of components … this is ok for hifi reviewers but a nightmare … for the likes of us plebs… So for me I decided to build a whole Naim setup (you could chose any other make) and assemble components known to have synergy… ie 552 with 500 … (there are various amp/pre combinations known to give excellent results). For me this has been a revalation over the years I have built up a system that really delivers and is satisfying… and in a way it has saved me allot of time and money. I will give an example … I was very tempted to buy a Chord Dave and drive my NAP500 directly saving the cost of the 552… I was very close to going down that route… I then heard a Dave into NAP300 … and it was very dissapointing … I don’t know why in theory it should have been great. So be very careful with your hard earned cash … have a think and further discuss with the great guys on here…

2 Likes

I am confused. Why would the Phoenix not be needed? It’s not needed in any scenario but by all accounts a reclocked DAC is a better DAC.

Hi just looking at you system that pre amp looks stretched … just a thought

Hi Mike - the Phoenix only reclocks the USB output of the USB source (in this case the Zenith) so you’d use it with a DAC that had a USB input. If you’re using the NDX2 then this will be connected via an Ethernet cable, no USB connection involved here.

Similar thought here — I guess system balance is key, as @frenchrooster indicated earlier…

2 Likes

Maybe 282…would be worth considering does that work well with Nap200??

Yes it does. The 200DR is not outclassed - sources currently HDX and LP12

202/200 is perfectly balanced and 202 post Class A service earlier this year is superb. 282 off the agenda for me as I consider it an over-priced anomaly in the Naim range whose rather glassy presentation does not appeal despite its other qualities. Let’s leave that there. A change in amplification is off the agenda.

Having heard an NDX2 plus XPS2 DR into my exact system bar speakers at my dealers I have no concerns at all about the 202 in any way being over-stretched.

Are you saying then that the Chord does not have a USB input?

No i’m not saying that. I commented that your proposed

NDX2 + Chord TT2 + Innuos Zenith + Phoenix

Didn’t need the Phoenix as you wouldn’t be using the USB connection. I’m assuming your proposed setup is the Zenith as the source containing your music, the NDX2 is connected to the Zenith via Ethernet and the TT2 is connected to the NDX2 via a coaxial S/PDIF cable.

The Chord does have USB, in this set up the Innuos would be used as a streamer/server and the Chord as the DAC, this makes the £5k NDX2 investment questionable, which would pay for the Phoenix plus some change.
In terms of your options the last one.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a Core plus NDX2 give the required functionality??

They say a picture is worth a thousand words…

In all cases the Zenith is used for ripping, music storage duties.

Zenith and NDX2

Zenith and NDX2 and TT2

Zenith and TT2

Zenith and Phoenix and TT2

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Interesting. Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, that’s excellent. Thank you.

1 Like