End of my tether

Don’t know how to add them to ipeng but I have got a dozen or so high resolution I radio station URLs that I use in roon when you are ready. I also wasn’t impressed with Roon other than in experimental mode on the zenith

1 Like

Mike,
I have been reading the thread from the begining and silently been on the journey with you on this one.
It is great the hear you have the music back to a far better place and that it is engaging you and the family once again.
It has brought a big smile to my face it what has turned out to be a challenging year for a lot of people.
Well done to you and all your forum helpers for sticking with the journy; looking forward to reading about the final result and the enjoyment it will bring.

3 Likes

That’s lovely to read Simon. Thank you. A way to go but it feels like I have music back in my life. Just need to find time to pick up the guitar for the first time in 9 months and all will be good.

2 Likes

Firmware update completed painlessly and there’s now a wizard for adding streaming from Tidal so I’ll work on that tomorrow amongst other things.

1 Like

My turn for a dumb question.

My assumption is that it would be best to keep both the server/streamer and the DAC on all the time?

Also wonder whether @Simon-in-Suffolk knows anything about whether the TT2 would be compatible with the Innuos USB low latency mode?

Sorry, no idea.

@mikehughescq @frenchrooster contact Innuos support they will assist, it is likely the Squezebox issue than needs a manual fix easy to do, but as i mentioned previously another example when Innuos need their own app if wishing to command £1000s for their servers.

I have the fix somewhere but best to email Innuos quickly they shutdown for Xmas soon, reason for not sharing it included some Innuos login details.

2 Likes

Thanks. On it now.

Wow, what a journey Mike!

I too have followed your journey and even pitched in during the early days. But as you moved on to kit I am unfamiliar with, I was frustrated that I was unable to help further. But you have had (mostly) great support on here and it is testament to how helpful forumites are.

I was genuinely chuffed to read you are almost there and are now able to enjoy great-sounding music. Only a couple of minor niggles to get over now, and you seem well on the way to that.

Isn’t streaming wonderful!

Have a wonderful, musical Christmas.

1 Like

Thanks @NigelB. At some point I shall, as a punishment, read the whole thread :slight_smile: I can now say with confidence the issue was the CDP and in some ways I’m disappointed the NDX2 wasn’t the end point as it would have kept things virtually all Naim and added many conveniences. However, it was bested by some distance by the Innuos/Chord combination.

I’ve decided to sell the CDX2/XPS2 which I will be quite sad about. End of an era. The latter was even my 40th birthday from Mrs/ H.

It has indeed been quite a journey. Along the way there has been some remarkably terrible advice; several people who I’ve had to permanently block as they had nothing positive to contribute beyond character assassination. However, there have also been people who given up hours; people who have offered all sorts of fantastic advice and even visits (if only) and you are quite right. The members of this forum can be quite magnificent.

I’m torn on streaming at present. The family love it and that makes me happy but I’m sat here having elevenses; belatedly reading the Sunday papers and working my way through ripping 1,600 CDs and I find myself looking at CD booklets with the same sense of nostalgia many had when moving originally from vinyl to CD.

Don’t look at Roon then as you get the booklets and more plus the convenience of streaming! I’ve just bought a cd transport for fun which works very well through my chord kit

1 Like

Sssssh.

1 Like

Actually in all seriousness I’d be interested to know just how much of booklets you get with Roon. I’ve numerous box sets. Some of them are exquisite packages and contain fantastic booklets. It would be a major selling point if such things had been reproduced in full rather than just some text from Discogs or Allmusic. Stax 9 CD boxes come to mind as does the Beatles In Mono.

In the meantime I’ve unexpectedly had a couple of “moments”.

Firstly we had ripped “Noel” the 2 CD Carols From Kings. I was sat off centre and the female voices sounded a little shrill to me. Mrs. H. looked up startled and when I queried she explained that they were not shrill to her and she could locate everything very precisely in her version of what we would call a sound stage or image. There used to be a theory that Naim didn’t major on image. I’ve certainly not heard anything like this on a 202/200 before.

Late evening after a long day ripping about 90 CDs I decided to skip through some rips to get a feel for how it was sounding. Quite happy for it to sound shrill and overly digital for a few weeks. Found myself playing rock for the first time in a couple of years and enjoying it and then thought I’d try something acoustic. Limited choice so far so I went for MassEducation, the piano and vocals only version of MassSeduction by St. Vincent.

One track turned into the whole album. Vocals were crystal clear and hugely emotive and the piano was revealed to be an electric with mech noise and all. I was utterly transfixed. My speakers apparently don’t come alive at low volumes. Last night I played Annie at low volume and she was pretty much in the room. Quite an experience.

I’m not expecting to get that consistently yet but “wow”.

Perversely despite having moved away from Naim as a source it has just shown me what my comparatively low level amplification can do when fed with a non Naim source and it exceeds anything I’ve heard from them in 12 years of ownership.

3 Likes

Out of interest, what are you ripping with? dbPoweramp would normally do a cd in a couple of minutes. If you haven’t used it is worth trying, much faster than EAC for example (which is great of course, used it for years).

You dont get booklets, its text from rovi/allmusic as far as I’m aware.

You only get real booklets with Roon when sourced from QoBuz where a PDF is available which can be opened from Roon. Unfortunately it does open an external viewer but it works pretty well. If you have a QoBuz subscription it’s possible to download these PDF’s.

Alternatively any artwork you place in the same folder as the music files are presented quite nicely in Roon. I’m selectively scanning some booklets and many can be sourced from MusicBrainz. For new CD’s I buy (not as many now) I scan the booklet while the CD is being ripped.

I prefer viewing the images from within Roon to viewing the PDF. It’s a pretty trivial task to convert a PDF into individual images, and if they follow a sequence (01.jpg, 92.jpg etc) they will be presented in order with thumbnails beneath them. Clicking or tapping on the image maximise it to full screen. I use a freeware program called NAPS2 to extract images from the PDF’s.

This is addition to the Rovi type content that is also available.

There seems to be a major release of Roon due in the New Year, it will be interesting to see if any of these features are improved.

Great it’s sounding good, I found myself rediscovering my music collection, really addictive. In terms of your first point re info/booklets Roon will not replicate this, sometimes you may get an additional pdf attached but the information is no match for your hard copy.

1 Like

As above on Roon info although you do get photos too which are pretty cool and you can hyperlink to other articles on albums, bands ETC associated with what you’re listening to. You can get a free trial, three months I think at the moment, if you wanted to have a play around. I never fancied it before wasn’t especially impressed with the SQ but it’s brilliant via the innuos in experimental mode

The Innuos rips. Can use quick mode which takes a couple of minutes, or, quiet mode if you’re also playing music. Editing meta data in MyInnuos is a doddle. No need to go via a PC at all.

And thanks everyone. I’m not a fan of the Roon interface (much discussed elsewhere on here) and it’s not top of my list at present but there seems no harm in a 3 month trial further down the line.