End of PSTN 2025 and an Easy To Hold mobile phone

Hi again Bruce, we all pay line rental, its paying for the wire/fibre connection to the network.
The other BT charges in your package are for the various service(s)

I donā€™t have a smart phone , I have a traditional land line - these are deliberate choices

The mobile signal here is appalling and anybody with a phone that is powered by electric , will have spent 34 hours - without being able to use it

BT in my experience stands for BIG TROUBLE

2 Likes

I tell them , my wife deals with that sort of thing - and tell them Iā€™ll get her.

Quarter of an hour later they usually get the message

The port is blocked by a sticker ā€˜digital voice customers onlyā€™.

I will try to look at my BT contractvand understand what I do and donā€™t pay for.

Bruce

Ditto re the scammers, very satisfying to keep them on the line as long as possibleā€¦.

Having recently gone FTTP with BT, the cost of having a landline was only Ā£1 pm, so I kept it for incoming calls only. I think the non-package tariff is around 20ppm?

The wi-fi 'phone isnā€™t as good in sound quality terms as my previous FTTC/lengthy copper to house set-up, with a BT branded domestic moby on the end.

When you agree a new deal with the likes of BT, be careful, as their prices rise in either March/April at CPI+3.9%(?), and CPI is now ā€˜lotsā€™!

Also, to go FTTP, there could be some installation challenges, which Iā€™ve posted on the Forum before e.g. the incoming box needs power, and the fibre cable is stiff so cannot run internally very far (if at all).

Yes thats were you plug your phone into for Digital Voice, but please donā€™t touch this yet. BT will contact you when the Digital Vice service is available in your area.

I think you will find your phone is in fact copper not fibre. VM has installed some fibre to the home recently, but for most of their footprint itā€™s fibre and copper to the cabinet and then coax to the home for broadband and a copper pair to the home for the phone. You have had VM for some years I think, so likely thatā€™s what you have.

I play a dithering old fool that takes ages to walk upstairs then turn on the computer, and then pretend to type in what they say, but pretend I can hear them properly

Waste time like ā€¦ someone delivering a parcel at the door, donā€™t understand computers/Wi-Fi/ online banking or whatever they are calling about, go along with it as long as possible, spell out various insults slowly using phonetic alphabet when the ask what computer screen is showing etc etcā€¦. Anything to delay them calling another (possibly vulnerable) person.

1 Like

Ooh, looking forward to that!

5 Likes

The problem with answering these calls is that the more you do it, the more calls you get, regardless of the conversation you have with them. One of the revenue streams they use is to sell lists of known active numbers to other scammers, who can then call you.
I never answer our landline for that reason. If itā€™s urgent they will leave a message or contact me by other means, or Iā€™ll just dial 1471 in case it was a legitimate caller.

1 Like

Thanks David. I thought I wasnā€™t confused but now I am.

Presumably if they get an answering machine, they know itā€™s an active line, but I do take your point.

When I do get calls, I do also report the number to my ISP

Yes, I donā€™t know if they make a distinction between calls answered by machines vs humans. Itā€™s now quite easy to report scam phonecalls, text messages etc. and to block unwanted numbers. Itā€™s not always easy to distinguish scammers from less sinister cold callers who are just trying to sell you something like a contract upgrade or get you to respond to a survey.

You can tell if itā€™s fibre telephone. If the phone connection is into the back of your fibre hub, itā€™s likely fibre. If itā€™s into a standard wall box (NTP) like this one, itā€™s copper.

Hi Chris,
Thatā€™s absolutely a good thing to, but I like to consider myself very scam aware (donā€™t we all), and itā€™s just some small way of fighting back. Id rather they speak with me rather than my elderly neighbours (who were scammed) or someone elseā€™s loved ones. Being retired I also have the time unlike a lot of others. Strangely I donā€™t seem to get many calls at all anymore so perhaps those ā€œlistsā€work two ways.

Itā€™s definitely copper. Iā€™ve taken a look at Virginā€™s website and it explains about migrating everyone by 2025.

Indeed, we can only guess at how any particular scammer will operate, and it seems they are constantly cooking up new schemes.
My mother-in-law was inundated with nuisance calls and couldnā€™t resist the habit of answering the phone whenever it rang, although she isnā€™t so naĆÆve as to fall for the scams. Eventually we persuaded her to get a phone with a screen, and now she only answers if she recognises the number.

As a BT SH2 user, I switched mine over to VOIP in December.
I basically unplugged the phone from the wall and plugged it in to the hub, a foot away (having removed the sticker!)

Everything else carried on as normal. No dramas.

1 Like