English Electric 8Switch

Hi Stephen,
Yes, prior to the EE, I did run two Cisco’s together. I then ran a TP- Link switch while I waited for the EE. I had already sold one of the Cisco’s (2960CX). I looked at buying the Uptone Audio switch, but decided against it for the following. The EE was easier to accommodate with all cable entry at the rear, with it being more sturdier construction it sat flat on shelf and did not want something running as hot as the Uptone gets. I’m quite happy with the sound quality of EE, it may or may not be the best. Then again, I do not have the best Naim system there probably is :blush:

1 Like

That’s fantastic advice guys. Thank you so much for your help. I think i’m sold. I’m ordering one right now! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

And don’t get rid of your Cisco :wink:

EE and the ER are very basic switches, in terms of layer 2 features. The Catalyst 2960 being a much, really much, advanced tool.

So keeping both, should theoretically be the best option.

@Simon-in-Suffolk posted some detailed comments on that.

If you want to be picky, put those two switches far away from you streamer (use a long ethernet run).

1 Like

That’s the spirit! My second one for the media room / Core is in the country now. It’s a nice little box and sounds lovely - very neutral like the Chord cords.

1 Like

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with it hanging out the back of you Cisco. Last week I removed it from the chain as a sanity check (OK I was bored), and very quickly restored it! I also suspect you’ll get the most out of your Vodka on the last leg.

2 Likes

That’s great Nick. I now have one winging it’s way here. I should have it by this Friday at the very latest. Yup the Vodka is staying for now. Even with (current arrangment) it gives me the best performance from all of my Ethernet cables i have tried so far, though it’s quite pricey by comparison. In fact, i don’t play around anymore, i just listen to the music. The Vodka has proved it’s worth in my system time and time again. I may try a ShawLine also at some stage. The EE 8Switch is my final network jigsaw piece component. Thanks again folks!

Here is an example network diagram

The retained Cisco Catalyst 2960 switch is the in place of my GS108Ev2 Pro-Safe managed switch, and the ‘ISP_Router’ is the equivalent of the ISP Modem and the Cisco RV340 VPN/Firewall router.
The ‘B’ port of the EE being the final connection to the Network Player/Streamer.

1 Like

I’m afraid that’s just theory - albeit sound theory.

In practice I suggest you try both and go with which you prefer.

I was expecting at least one Cisco 2960 before my EtherRegen to result in improved sound quality, whereas in fact the system sounded better without it.

3 Likes

Definitely works better for me.

Hi Pat, just out of curiosity, how close is closer? In my case getting the EtherRegen away form the rack helped (although not as much as getting the catalyst away from the rack). My EtherRegen are on the end of a 5m cable with the ND555 at the other end.

Jim, I tried ER alone, straight from the router, against Router >Cisco > ER. I clearly preferred without the Cisco in the chain, the sound is more natural , lively and nuanced.
So , when the EE will be burn in, you can try both, with and without.

3 Likes

Yeah i never really liked the cascading Ciscos feeling that they were imposing themselves onto the Naim sound too much. It’s one of the reasons why i went wireless and then back to a single Cisco. A more natural Naim way of doing things is what i’m hoping for. Thanks.

1 Like

I suppose this is network dependent, and how “crowded” it is, and by that I mean how intensely multicast is used. I suppose that a very simple network won’t benefit much of IGMP Snooping, in which case a switch with noise isolation capabilities would be a decent choice.

1 Like

I am afraid it’s not theory, but solid application if you want to limit un necessary group processing from your streamer that resides on your home network - nothing theoretical about it… you can see it with your own eyes if you want… it is very real. One doesn’t design and configure networks around notional theories…

What is subjective - is whether you hear the benefits of this network optimisation or not - and that will depend on you, your environment, your network, your streamer and the rest of your hifi.

These days home networks are starting to see more and more groups active - and quality ISP routers like BT SmartHub2 manage this by IGMP snooping and even handle IGMP queriers - but not all consumer devices do this currently.

You misunderstand me. But I suspect you know that :slight_smile:

I’m not dismissing the “reality” of what IGMP snooping may do in a complex network, just stating that in the networks many of us have it may not bring an identifiable sound quality advantage, and moreover that adding a switch which offers it may actually lead to a deterioration in sound quality. So any statement that it will always improve sound quality is based on sound theory but may not be applicable, depending on all the variables involved and discussed in this and other threads.

So I’m recommending that rather than blindly assuming a switch offering IGMP snooping is going to sound better in one’s own system - especially if using an EtherRegen - one instead actually compares with and without if possible. That’s of course easily done if one is adding an EtherRegen to a system in which one is currently using a Cisco 2960.

Of course people’s mileage may vary depending on their own systems and environments, and I have no experience of how the EE compares with the ER…

4 Likes

Ok. I have cancelled my order. I have rigged up, from factory settings, my NDX 2 in wifi mode and i honestly cannot hear a difference between that and a wired Vodka with a PD Cisco 2960 from router. Therefore i have gotten cold feet in this process. DAMN man, i was really looking forward to my next addition…It just isn’t worth the outlay. Maybe this stuff plays tricks? :thinking:

2 Likes

Stephen, you have changed your mind, that’s a surprise! :wink:

I thought the EE was sale or return, so what is the harm in trying it?

2 Likes

Hi Nigel,

I know. It’s just the bloody aggro of it all. Have you tried one yet? It has great reviews. I just start thinking of all the legs of lamb i could buy for £450 :rofl:

Yep

Know what you mean. There are times when one just can’t be ars*d, particularly if the music sounds great.

Haven’t tried one yet, life is a bit up in the air with all this Covid turmoil, so I can’t think of new kit at the moment. I will try one in time, the EE or the ER.

1 Like