English Electric 8Switch

Yes i think that’s it. I have upgraded heavily since the lockdown, my first ever Classic Series Naim. It’s fantastic stuff! :sunglasses:

1 Like

The more I read about streamers, variable stream quality, DACs, servers, networks, cables and switches, the happier I am with my CDS3 !

2 Likes

Or just stick with wifi :wink:

3 Likes

My previous setup was

[Roon_Rock]----(WiFi)----[iPhone_as_RoonEndPoint]----[AudioPhilleo]----[nDAC]

Worked like a charm. No dropouts.
WiFi when correctly setup works seamlessly.

2 Likes

So are the sheep :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re not hearing a massive difference, then let it be.

Sometimes the best thing to do with an itch is stop scratching…

Bad news for the lambs of course. They won’t have a leg to stand on…

2 Likes

I’m hearing a massive difference. Thank you for your ‘insight‘.

You’ve got me wrong there, though I can see why in the context of that single quote. Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was in fact also referring to:

and therefore agreeing with your decision to just listen to the music.

1 Like

Yes, maybe some switched wires on my part. Sorry. I’m with you. Thank you.

1 Like

Because the streamers don’t support fibre connectivity.
So called fibre to twisted pair converters don’t reduce the problem necessarily.

But yes in the future we might see Naim products support SFP sockets, so the customer can use a fibre or twisted pair SFPs to suit. If one used a fibre SFP then yes you would eliminate common mode noise… but potentially introduce other issues like acoustic related Ethernet jitter. Although hugely minute, we have learnt that such things usually become audible in some way.

Oh man! You need to see/ hear this through - you were so close…

3 Likes

My early birthday present arrived last Friday - very quick delivery from Audio Affair. It replaced my Netgear switch and I’m really pleased with the perceived improvement from my NDS. The overall ‘quality’ of the sound is improved. Well worth the outlay in my view.

3 Likes

Mine should be installed later this week also replacing a Netgear switch sounds promising.

I had this set up before. It improved very well vs my ex Netgear switch and non expensive Ethernet cables I had.
Then , with better quality ethernet cables and a Cisco 2960 switch, I removed the optical bridge which overall gave lesser results.
Perhaps with better optical modules, as Sonore, the results would be interesting.
However the biggest uplift, which is much more expensive, is now: Etheregen switch with high quality linear ps.

1 Like

Sure, but these don’t electrically isolate the ‘network’ from your streamer, as they use twisted pair copper and their own clock to talk to a streamer.
Sure you can use many (but not all) of the 2960 switches with SFP module sockets (one is often available on the uplink ports) to connect to a media converter… but you are entirely at the mercy of the quality of the media converter that then connects to your streamer… I have not yet seen a precision clock media converter… so the results may be questionable unless you would otherwise be connecting to a rather noisy switch.

If and when Naim use SFP module connectors on their streamers then we can use fibre to its full effect.

1 Like

I still have the TP link optical bridge in my network. I occasionaly bypas it but return soon to it. Device sequence is ; Modem - C stream - Cisco 2960 - Cstream - Cisco 2960 - Cstream - TP link with dedicated psu’s on different radial/spur - Catsnake 6e floating - ND5 XS2.

You obviously haven’t heard the Sonore opticalModule FMC’s have you? A pair made a huge change for the better in my system, much better than TP-Link’s (and yes, two oM’s better than one and a TP), better than the SFP out on my 2017 Cisco 2960, and Finisair single mode SFP’s better than the multimode TP-Links they came with. Many are saying that going fiber from a single opticalModule into an etherRegen (and then RJ45 out) is the ultimate. So let’s not lump all fiber together into the same boat (and no, Naim are not the end all be all on everything in hifi). Of course a pair of oM’s and some decent power (for the final one at least) will set one back $500-1000, but if you want to play with the big boys, you’ve got to pay.

Not sure the E.R. is of any use for those using a streamer.

In the context of a streamer, an interesting solution would be:

The question is : how good is the Sonore Optical Module at mitigating typical optic fiber issues…

Is it a completely redesigned module, with high precision clock? Or an of the shelf module in a nice little box? :thinking:

Considering its price it should be something rather special…

No I am not familiar with those devices… so it sounds like they are worth a go if you have a noisy switch… or may be simpler to get a better switch… each user will have to decide for them selves.
Which SFP did you use? They do vary in quality too …I would use a genuine Cisco one but they can be a bit pricey… but I assume you would have had to use a Sonore SFP of the same fibre category for optimum working with your media converter?

I have mostly isolated by DAC from my new gen streamer, and these tweaks don’t make any meaningful difference for me now… even wifi sounds pretty top… so I have no motivation to fiddle around here, but glad it’s working out for you.