English Electric 8Switch

Remember you should match the transceivers for optimum performance. I don’t know if the Sonore product can use SFPs… but for best performance I would match the SFPs.
These are supported transceivers for the 2960 platform

Similar here:

Modem - pfsense - Gigabit Switch - Cisco 2960 - TP links with dedicated psu’s on different circuit - Cisco 2960 - Meridian 210.

About Sonore optical module, in Audiostream online magazine:

“The TP-Link uses internal switching power supplies that add noise to the system,” Gillis explained by phone. “An opticalModule has several internal linear power supplies, each feeding a different internal component. The circuit design is cleaner, and everything is designed to be really low-noise. The opticalModule also contains a very accurate clock instead of a cheap 5¢ clock, so its timing is really precise.

1 Like

Absolutely. And choosing the wrong SFP transceiver can result being a nightmare.

I’d go for a pair of 100 Mbits Cisco modules. Are these compatible with the Sonore product? No idea. I see no useful information on their webpage:
–> https://www.sonore.us/opticalModule.html

Not sure I would trust the Sonore opticalModule…

The idea of using an optical media converter to somewhat isolate the streamer from the network is rather good.

But, as you said, the result would be entirely dependent on the quality of the module.

It would be interesting to test the Sonore module…

Cisco used to produce a converter:

Not any more I guess

1 Like

Designed from the ground up by the same designer as the etherRegen and the very good Sonore Rendu series. What isn’t there to trust? A few members on another forum have tried SFP module rolling and figured out what’s best (single mode Finisiairs). Cisco SFP’s only have to be used for Cisco switches. The opticalModules will accept most SFP’s 1g and above, though you do want to make sure the cable is appropriate, and same SFP both ends.

Indeed, I think that is what we are saying… I am sure it is trustworthy… out of interest which SFPs did you use? I think the ones on the Sonore site are TP Link 1Gbps standard short haul multimode fibre transceivers. Did you use those on both ends including your switch?

Yes you need to be careful with single mode , as it’s designed for upto 10km so if using you will need to use attenuators over short distances or expect some or significant data corruption… a managed device will show you any such corruption this so you can rectify. (Been there and got the T shirt)

Aha, the TP between the Cisco’s. Dit you try the TP on different positions in the chain?
When I bought the nd5xs2 last year the first 3 weeks had it connected straight to the router with a AQ pearl. The first devices I placed between them (partially dealer advice) was the TP brigde and a netgear switch streamerside. Sounded well out of the box but within a couple of hours it whent a bit dull amd it slowed the music down somehow. Putting the TP streamer side solved this. Then came the first Cisco replacing the Netgear. Allong came the second catalyst more or less as a reserve , but suprised by the increased SQ it stayed.
Had a Bonn8 with Sbooster psu for about a week replacing the second Cisco; Initially I was verry impressed and sugested on this forum it felt like a box upgrade🤐 Though the Bonn seemed ok in a technical sense, it left me ‘cold death on the couch’ .ie no interaction, communication musically whatsoever. No storytelling, singing or dancing around with this Bonn8!
I will try the EE switch somewere later this year but it has to perform quite better in terms of the above mentioned.

The SFP’s I’m currently using are FINISAR-FTLF1324P2BTV-B1-REF. I did have 10db attenuators but another member who’s an IT over on the AS forum said they aren’t necessary with this SFP. Sound great without (sleight veil lifted seemingly), no data corruption as far as I can tell. But yes, I understand all the ins and outs. Fiber for audiophiles is still currently a moving target so I’m sure before long more users will have more feedback as to what’s best.

Yes unless chronic you need to look at corrupt frame counters on the switches don’t you… or I do at least … as of course TCP will try and heal data loss/corruption at the cost of more work undertaken by the streamer.

I think regular short haul multi mode is fine for audio and the home user… it’s fairly plug and play and a lot cheaper than audiophile twisted pair and totally reliable. I have used it on and off for years… albeit not with Naim…

BTW FINISAR-FTLF1324P2BTV-B1-REF operates single mode so I would be wary of using it over short distances (less than 50 to 100m) it’s just normally totally the wrong tool to use, unless your short length is specifically underwritten (in writing) by Finisar… as that is counter to design, purpose and regular usage… you may damage the receiving optics over time… and I would definitely check corruption counters.
For twisted pair Ethernet lengths, the right tool I suggest is short haul multi mode for best reliability.
If you like Finisar SFP+ / SFP modules, try a FTLF8528P2BCV perhaps for short distances?

Thanks Simon. Reading around it seems like short distance on LX and SM is okay for 2m and above - I’m running 4m. Probably wouldn’t want to install it in a server center or oil rig, etc. but for my use I’m not concerned as long as it sounds good. The receivers cost me $30 ea (vs $100 new) so if an issue arises I’ll replace them then. For now I’m done and just want to enjoy the music (esp after yesterday’s amp freakout which thankfully corrected itself). I would recommend if anyone is interested to go down this rabbit hole further to check out the ‘optical configurations’ thread over on the AS forum.

Interesting to note that, very few of English Electric 8Switch or UpTone Audio EtherREGEN users seem to be interested in the Sonore opticalModule.

Theoretically, and as long as the converter is correctly designed and then correctly set up, the Sonore opticalModule is probably the best choice in terms of isolation.

Using 2m for SM without attenuators just does not chime with my experiences - from the Cisco SFP Modules Data sheet:

“When shorter distances of single-mode fiber (SMF) are used, it might be necessary to insert an inline optical attenuator in the link to avoid overloading the receiver. A 10-dB inline optical attenuator should be inserted between the fiber-optic cable plant and the receiving port on the SFP at each end of the link whenever the fiber-optic cable span loss is less than 8 dB.”

I think its fair to say for the average non IT savvy consumer using SMF on short distances is a recipe for disaster - I hate to think of the support calls

They are elsewhere, in fact to the point Sonore has a difficult time keeping them in stock. But here, on this forum, any mention of fiber and it often gets slapped down, for no good reason.

For those of you who have Wifi as an option; could you remind me why you are not using it instead of hard wiring? I been on this forum for a year now and all this debating about switches, cables and how to wire a streamer for optimum SQ just seems like it’s going down a rabbit hole.

Well, I’ve always lived on the edge, so I’ll get back to you if anything goes wrong. Everything I’ve read has been the minimum distance for LX is two meters (not ZX which is higher power for much longer distances) and lots of IT engineers on Reddit, etc saying that no attenuators needed for SM LX SFP’s and they have used them for years with no issues at patch lengths. That said, probably best to stick with MMF for new users (which is what Sonore supplies with their modules).

I do think it’s important to clarify the difference between mission critical protocol vs sending some tunes to your hifi. If for some reason an SFP failed nobodies stock trade or life will be lost and nothing will blow up. Anyway, enough of this and back to audiophile switches. It would be interesting if somebody was able to compare an opticalModule bridge vs an etherRegen or EE only.

I wouldn’t say that, it’s a bit strong to say… :face_with_monocle:

@PatM Thanks Pat for the reply and for the comments by Steve Harris. I did not understand this potential downside to wifi.

Agree with that… now all we need is for Naim to provide 1000 Base SX fibre LC/SC connectors on their next gen streamers.

Yep, though I also found this on the Cisco SFP data sheet, so not sure what’s right and wrong, or maybe we’re reading something different (I saw no mention of needing attenuators except in one specialty case). Feeling pretty confident in how I have it setup and the great sound I’m getting so will leave it at that.

“Table 1 provides cabling specifications for the SFPs that you install in the Gigabit Ethernet port. Note that all SFP ports have LC-type connectors, and the minimum cable distance for all SFPs listed (multimode and single-mode fiber) is 6.5 feet (2 m).”

I think that is right but at that length you would use an attenuator with SMF as defined elsewhere… the parameter given is the minimum fibre loss… and so will depend on fibre cable used and it’s efficiency or loss.
If in doubt log onto the device using the SMF SFP and you can see if it’s stressed or erroring. If not then all is fine…