English Electric 8Switch

Do you know if there is a new iteration (100/1000) of the Sonore O.M. planned?

Thanks, yes I will look to use a quality MM transceiver on the 3560 into the Optical Rendu if I decide to get one…
I have done this elsewhere and worked very well, but never tried with the Optical Rendu.
They key is the line code modulation into the transceiver, or whether

Hi Simon,
re SFP transceivers for the oM, just call Martin Smith at the Audiostore. He will help you out, as he has me. I am currently running Cisco 2960 8 port (old blue one) switch with SFP module out via 3m of OM1 fibre to the opticalModule.

We started hearing vinyl-like pops and feared the worst re network drop-outs. After 3 weeks of diagnostic fault finding & component elimination in the network, it turned out to be a batch of components used in DAVE which were in spec yet not quite working correctly. After a return of DAVE to Chord for a new motherboard, everything is back singing sweetly again.

Best regards, BF

Thanks I just need the spec, but Charlesphoto I think has answered that any fibre transceiver SFP will do. As long as not SFP+.

So a quality short haul multi mode SFP at both ends … ideally one with optical management appears a way to go.
In my experience one always checks the quality of an optical link… I note that some of the consumer stuff doesn’t give that option, which is not good practice in my book.
Install fibre and check data Integrity is mandatory where I come from… you can’t really treat it like twisted pair which is largely plug and play…
But as commented elsewhere there is an immaturity in the use of fibre by some consumers and consumer vendors at present.
However once in and validated, as long as not being optically stressed or any physical shock, will be very reliable.

In the context of the new Naim’s streamers, the following setup seams to make sens (as you can use the 3560 to check what’s going one, at least at one side):

[Catalyst 3560]----[Sonore Optical Module]----[NDX2/ND555]

1 Like

Hi Simon,
According to the Audiophile Style website, a number of customers have had drop-out issues with the TP Link SFP modules that Sonore supplies.

Uptone Audio recommends a 10Gtek 1G SFP SX Multimode Mini-Gbic Module, 1000Base-SX SFP LC Transceiver. I bought one and it worked fine for us. I also bought a StarTech GLCSXMMDST - MM LC - 550m Gigabit transceiver and that has been perfectly fine too.

Both were bought from “the river” website.

Hope this helps, BF

I am giving it 6 months before we see an audiophile MM SFP :grinning:

2 Likes

Gosh…i feel another long thread coming along after Xmas😬

2 Likes

Or less :joy:

1 Like

Are they saying this on Audiophile Style?
Can you name the thread?

What fibre links the oM to the ER?

Uptone say this about fibre into an ER switch:

" A note about our inclusion of an SFP cage:

Use of optical into—or out of—EtherREGEN is not required to obtain best performance. The whole point of all the isolation and re-clocking techniques we are using (in dual domains) is to make most all of the upstream stuff not matter. Other than the complete galvanic isolation that optical offers going into the EtherREGEN (which we duplicate going across the moat), there is likely no advantage to running optical into it.

If you happen to have a router with an optical port and have already run many feet of optical cable to your music system rack, then sure, use the optical port of the EtherREGEN. But don’t go out of your way to run fiber-optic if you do not already have it.

For the few people who have an endpoint with optical input (the excellent Sonore opticalRendu comes to mind), one can “turn around” the EtherREGEN and feed that DAC-connected endpoint from the optical cage, while connecting the lone ‘B’-side port to the network. Thus ‘B’ >’A’.

Only Gigabit LC-optical or copper interface modules are compatible with the SFP cage of the EtherREGEN. They can be SX multi-mode, LX multi-mode, or LX single-mode, as long as they are Gigabit and match what is used at the other end of the optical cable."

oM to eR is connected via optical fiber, multimode or single mode depending on the SFP’s used. Go over to Audiophile Style, and check out the optical threads in the Networking forum, and the EtherRegen ‘experiments’ thread in the Uptone section. I can’t post links here.

Uptone likes to play it safe - they also said the power supply on the etherRegen shouldn’t matter and it obviously does.

1 Like

Yes, I thought the same thing.

They don’t want people to be put off from buying the ER because of the prospect of having to add fibre into it and having to get an LPS to power it.

I suspect you’re right Simon :joy:

Just off to ‘burn in’ some fibre…

2 Likes

Remember twisted pair Ethernet offers total galvanic isolation, ISTR 1.5kVdc.
Optical provides the potential of total common mode rf current isolation.
Galvanic isolation is about DC and ground plane breaks… hence the term.

Hi Jim,

In the context of the new Naim’s streamers I don’t see the point of adding an Uptone ER.

The Sonore Optical Module can do the isolation job.

[Catalyst 2960/3560]----[Sonore Optical Module]----[NDX2/ND555]

I’ll probably try that setup.

So perhaps I should try Cisco 2960 - fibre - ER switch - copper ethernet cable - 272?

FYI, unfortunately the power supply for the oM makes a difference as well (like bleeding everything in this hobby). So best to consider that if/when diving in. I would try and stick to 5v as well with it (rated 5-9) as that makes it run cooler.

I guess I just took the plunge :laughing:
The Sonore oM is on its way with a 5V SGC power supply.

1 Like

Er, so what’s all this got to do with 8Switch? Maybe a new thread?

1 Like

I hope tit works out for you!

1 Like