English Electric 8Switch

Now this thread really is diverted!

6 Likes

Usually does :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

It may be about how to make the switch sound better - or the music sound better without it. I noted that the thread title expanded earlierā€¦

1 Like

I amended it to convey some sort of reality. Optical connection is certainly worthy of discussion - though Iā€™d have thought its own thread would have been neater.

Hi Gerben,

I put this in place about three years ago, and tried various positions. I liked the theory. My memory is that I didnā€™t find it made any particular difference, but neither was it destructive - so I left it in place.

I do mean to play with this again, but work keeps intruding and when i do get time I would rather listen to music :wink:

M

How weirdā€¦ā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

What did you end up with?

Do you think we should ask Richard to chop off the optical tail of this thread and use it to start an Optical Thread?

Hi Jim,

Hope this makes sense:

Modem > pfsense > Gigabit Switch > (powered from house ring) (Loft)
2960 > TPLink > TPlink > (Clean power supply) (Loft)
2960 > HiFi (Dedicated HiFi ring) (Living Room)

M

I did chat to him about it, but he thought itā€™d be too tricky. Hence my alteration to the title - otherwise people interested in an optical solution wouldnā€™t think to look here. I agree itā€™d be neater.

Iā€™m going to reorder the EE 8Switch. Iā€™m just waiting for Paypal to put the money back into my account before i do. Keep things simple. I should of stuck with it but hey ho, yo yo! :rofl:

Hard to know where to start or indeed where to end. Itā€™s all inter-related though, so Iā€™m minded to keep it as is.

Also, while moving one or two posts to another thread is fine, Iā€™ve found recently that the forum software tends to choke when I try moving lots of posts.

Iā€™m just happy itā€™s a reasonable and good natured discussionā€¦

1 Like

Oh Stephen.

2 Likes

FR has started a new thread if anyone is interested. Seems reasonable given that the EE switch canā€™t use fibre.

1 Like

Sorry, I feel as if I opened up this can of worms. I do think Richard is right though - they are all related. Just how much else is there to discuss on the EE switch as it is? :wink:

I have 2 EE8ā€™s and didnā€™t even know it does optical, so Iā€™m right confused.

But I do have an optical splitterā€¦itā€™s not the EE8 though>ā€¦

Oh myā€¦

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t Mike, the EE is copper only. The thread drifted and thereā€™s now another (!) thread on Fibre which Iā€™m sure will come to the same conclusionā€¦

Network fiddling continued

1 Like

Ohā€¦ I donā€™t have the energy for another cable thread.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still trying to comprehend the first.

3 Likes