English Electric 8Switch

So I connect this to my Apple AirPort Extreme output or directly to my incoming Ethernet on the wall?

Iā€™m using a BJC 6a. I canā€™t see my NAS on my iPad or Naim app. If i install the Cisco, everything works. So itā€™s not the cables. I can stream Tidal but thatā€™s it.

1 Like

You need to boot up in the right order, so the nas makes the connection. Router, switch, nas. Let each fully boot. There is no reason it wonā€™t work.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what i have done. I canā€™t see my NAS on the network. Iā€™m sending it back, itā€™s obviously faulty? I have four Cisco switches and a Netgear GS105, all work fine with the NAS no matter what order i boot up.

1 Like

Iā€™d suggest youā€™ve done it too quickly. The nas can take about ten minutes to fully boot. The likelihood of the switch being faulty is tiny. You can get Tidal and therefore the switch works.

2 Likes

Ok, i think iā€™ve solved it! Phew!
Changed my BJC 6a for another one and all is working again!

Thanks for everyones help. I did not think for one minute that it would be a Ethernet cable. Itā€™s never been a problem before! A faulty BJC 6 a cable? really? who wouldā€™ve thought it?!

Now i can relax and get on with listening to some music. Iā€™m really impressed with this switch so far!

2 Likes

Good news.

1 Like

Just so you know the black cable was the offending cable, now fixed with a grey one in place.

I suspect that the black cable is perfectly ok. Maybe you plugged it in slightly differently so that the connection wasnā€™t made. You could always try the black one another time just to see. This network stuff can be a bit weird at times.

1 Like

Yes you could be right Nigel. Iā€™ve never had a problem with it before, my network here is rock solid and it all just works reliably and consistently. I guess itā€™s worked out rather handy to have a spare cable kicking around just in case. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Have a Customized Catsnake 6a on the way, read some ā€reviewā€ of them here. If it fails on me after extensive testing I will go to my dealer and borrow some branded cables.

If itā€™s a similar jungle as with USB cables (finally settled for Vertere back then) I know im in for a lot of testing aroundā€¦
Hopefully this matter is easier to settle. Will report back.

ā€¦Naim should really just build a synergetic ethernet lead and sell it to us, or recommend one. No doubt there are more house-sounding ones to get out there.

Any cable can develop a fault. One of my designacables is knackered only plugged it in once. Badly fitted plug. It only worked at 100mb/s to my server which was a sign itā€™s duff as its all 1000mb/s ports. Pulled it out and back in stopped working altogether. They are sending a replacement and service was excellent cant grumble. My BJC have been moved about so much and still work perfectly mind. I would try the cable again as its easy sometimes for it not to connect fully. If itā€™s knackered they should replace it.

1 Like

The faulty cable done my head in to begin with, but all is well now. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m so stoked with the little EE 8Switch. It just does everything so much better over the Cisco. You can definitely hear that itā€™s been taylored for audiophiles.

The whole presentation is cleaner, more detailed, with nicer textures. Bass too is quite a bit tighter. As some have mentioned here earlier in this thread, the timing is better., more PRaT as it were. Youā€™re not just tapping your feet, but also clicking your fingers at the same time. Really pleased. Mine wonā€™t be going back anytime soon and iā€™m only less than 24hrs in so far.

For those that donā€™t believe that these devices make any difference then i suggest you give it a go, you do not need to be blind folded, you should immediately hear an improvement over your Cisco. Just for clarity here, my EE 8Switch is plugged directly into my router via a BJC 6a Ethernet cable, so no Cisco in the network. Everything is working just as it was but now with a sonicuplift too boot and a really nice one at that.

4 Likes

I must get a pair of those ā€œsonicuplift tooā€ boots!

2 Likes

Maybe they align you with speakers better.

I donā€™t buy into all this expectaion bias twaddle. If it sounds better itā€™s because it is. I was never really that convinced that my ND5 XS 2 was that much better than my CD5si even though it was twice the price. The NDX 2 however is significantly better. Iā€™ve heard some really expensive systems sound dire even i was expecting them to sound good. For me the EE 8Switch fully deserves itā€™s glowing reviews from the HiFi press.

1 Like

Itā€™s great to get a really clear and conclusive result. If you sell off the other bits and bobs that will go a long way to covering the cost. I was just looking at a review in The Ear, which was very positive indeed.

I seems odd that the EE has gained so much traction when the Silent Angel Bonn N8 is supposedly identical yet is Ā£50 cheaper. Maybe thatā€™s because it doesnā€™t come with a C Stream cable.

1 Like

I have little use for the C-Stream cable, mainly because itā€™s just too short. I havenā€™t even unravelled mine and taken it out of the box yet. Maybe i will sell it along with all my other bits and bobs as you say.

The other thing that i like is the EE switch uses very little wasted energy, it doesnā€™t even get warm and this includes the power pack itself.

Oh one other reassuring thing here - the EE 8Switch sounds amazing with the BJC6a full loom. Even quieter backgrounds than with the Vodka but without tipping into any extremes where the Vodka may do on some stringed recordings. Acoustic guitar in particular sounds extraordinarily good. One can almost picture the fingers of the player running up and down the strings.

I havenā€™t tried the CatSnake 6a yet but am going to leave as is with the BJC 6a full loom for now. Music is just too enjoyable at the moment to want to change anything. Iā€™m so glad itā€™s worked out so that i no longer find the need to concoct and mix cables to find that personal taste.