English Premier League Season 2023/24

We are nearing the end of the second full week of the Summer transfer window so here in no particular order is a quick round up of transfers of senior players that have actually happened.

Chelsea have signed French striker Christopher Nkunku from RB Leipzig for £52 million and also Senegal international striker Nicolas Jackson from Villarreal that’s BIYARAYAL (I’m learning some Spanish and this one is a real tongue twister) for £32 million.

The Spuds have signed James Maddison from relegated Leicester City for £40 million.

Arsenal have signed Kai Havertz from Chelsea for £65 million.

Man City have signed Matteo Kovacic from Chelsea for £30 million.

Bournemouth have signed Justin Kluivert from Roma for £10 million.

I think that is all of the actual signings but if I’ve missed any please add to the list and please do post comments.

Chelsea’s ‘big’ signing yet to come…

Football financial expert Kieran Maguire explains how Arsenal are able to spend £200 million so far this window without Stan K adding another £100 million to the Emirates sponsorship deal from his own pocket.

No doubt big Todd will blow everyone out of the water Caicedo definitely although Kylian Mbappe pulling on a Chelsea shirt would not surprise me or perhaps less surprising Osimhen but who knows the way Chelsea have been spending this past year.

Do you also need to roll the double R?

I think R’s are always rolled a single R unless it is at the end of a word is rolled just once and double R’s more than once I’m not sure if their are any exceptions to this rule perhaps one of our Spanish speaking members can let us know.

Whether a club can afford to spend the money is not the point in question.

The point is that Arsenal are simply trying to buy the league. Very soon their summer spending will be over 210 million and there’s no point trying to hide the fact.

Blimey this will put the cat amongst the pigeons. There will be a new generation of Sniffer Clarkes. Any defender like Slabhead with the turning circle of a supertanker will struggle big time. Sending offs galore.

I don’t usually communicate using cartoon pictures but in this case I’ll make an exception

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::joy::joy::joy::joy::flushed::flushed::flushed:

Bloody sensible imo. Similar to the old ‘daylight’ idea.

Well when the Professor is involved

Right, you asked for it!

There are many different Spanish accents and dialects. In some places, LL is pronounced like an English J, but it’s usually a Y sound. The letter V is most commonly pronounced with a soft B that sounds a little like an English V, but it comes a hard B elsewhere. RR is almost always a “rrr” and some Spanish speakers love to add even more rolls than that. I is EE, and E is usually EH as in “egg.” So Villareal could be BEEJARRREH-AL or B/VEEYEHRRRAYAL to an English speaker’s ear.

And that’s just the beginning. Watch a game with a Spanish speaker, and you’ll witness explosive frustration over the way English commentators mangle most Spanish names.

1 Like

Another million or two and that’s almost a decent night out.

But… There’s a difference between spending a shedload of spondulicks within the rules, distasteful as that may be, and spending in clear contravention of them. Of course, the rules are ridiculous; they’re written by the wealthy for the wealthy.

Of course but that is like asking how a word or phrase is said in Newcastle, Cardiff or Essex but I was referring to Castellano the national language of Spain which as well as every dialect my local being Valenciano is spoken by 90% of the residents of Spain.

You wouldn’t as a Spanish person buy a house in Brighton and learn how to speak a Scouse or Geordie dialect would you or even attempt to learn every dialect. Or if someone asked you how to pronounce a word in English you wouldn’t answer in a Yorkshire or Glaswegian accent would you?

Yes I would, if that’s the way I spoke. But back to the fitba :wink:

1 Like

Think I have worked this thread out. It’s all about arse anal. Bob is always right. Bob is scarred by Manchester of red or blue and come the end of the season the cheats will have won if not arse anal.

Atb
Kk

3 Likes

England U21 continue with their unbeaten run during the U21 Euro’s beating Portugal in 1-0 in the quartet finals with a goal from Newcastles Anthony Gordon the youngsters have yet to even concede a goal.

They face Israel in the semi - finals who they have already beaten in the group stages. You can watch the game and highlights of previous games free on Uefa tv.

follow the link. It didn’t work on Google Chrome for me but did on Safari

1 Like

@crispyduck

Another season of Roy. Didn’t see that one coming !

Indeed - another season of Royball! Has been on the card for a while now. There aren’t many great managers around at present ( excepting Fat Frank obvs) and Roy is a known quantity who really seems to have the team on board. Plan is to train up Paddy McCarthy over next year and grow our own next manager. As we don’t have unlimited petrodollars (bloodstained or not) it’s as good a plan as any other

1 Like

Tonali to the Toon. That looks a shrewd signing to me.