English Premier League Season 2023/24

What’s happened to Brighton? Role model for mid table clubs now looking up at AFCB?

Hmmm! Not sure “deserved” is the correct adjective. The first two goals were against the run of play, and you were hanging on at the end. I now see what everyone is saying about Saka being such a cheat; falls over at every single opportunity, but he took his goal well. Man City weren’t great either this afternoon, but both teams effectively leave LiVAR pool languishing in third place. Likely to go to the wire, and goal difference could determine the end result if City drop any points.

We’re currently going backwards. I think the whole europa league experience and injuries have taken a toll.

Not surprised. And not unhappy. Has been an amazing experience (up to Xmas at least !), and next season we’ll have players back from injury and less games.

5 Likes

Shows how fragile the situation is for the majority of teams in the EPL.

I’ve got to be very honest the manner of the result matters very little to me nor I doubt Arteta and the boys.

This was supposed to be the season Arsenal fell away after a freak title challenge last year, then we were going to bottle it anyway and then after losses to Villa and Bayern we where supposed to implode.

None of which has happened.

1 Like

Give it time :flushed::flushed::joy::joy:

There are three games left David and in the space of five days we’ve dominated and schooled your club 5-0 and then gone to the toilet bowl and beaten our nearest neighbour.

The Spuds where supposed derail our season yesterday instead it looks like we’ve knocked them out of the Champions League.

Just to divert from the top end of the table for a brief second, Luton are now in a three way battle for the final drop spots: Burnley have hit a run of form and play Forest in the last game of the season which might be the decider. Forest have Sheff Utd & Chelsea before that. Luton have Everton first (annoyingly knowing that Everton are safe), West Ham then Fulham which on our current form might see us fill the second drop spot sooner rather than later. Burnley have Newcastle & Spurs before the Forest game. All end of the season games against some pretty inconsistent sides (no offence meant). Fascinating (well, for me it is but ask me again after Friday’s game against Everton).

2 Likes

I for one will be cheering Luton on they’ve been a brilliant addition and have given some top sides a few massive scares including my club Arsenal.

3 Likes

Justice requires Forest to drop and either Luton (hopefully) or Burnley to survive. Forest and Everton should have gone last season when they broke the rules.

2 Likes

Not sure that’s anything brag about…we can all dig out such scores over the years…

Still time to win nothing this season just like Chelsea :sunglasses:

1 Like

All three of our goals were against the play but we took our chances. We need to be nice to spurs as they play city last game and we might need them to do us a favour

There’s more chance of Mbappe signing for Donny Rovers at the end of the season.

We’ll be scoring own goals left, right and centre.

1 Like

It’s been emotional. What a class act.

7 Likes

Silva has been an absolute class player. Always committed and cool. I wish him well.

Chelsea must be on the verge of a major clear-out – or has the Boehly madness gone way too deep?

I’m not sure we can afford to sell any players. That represents a loss which f…s us over under FFP rules. Or rather Todd Boehly does.

Yikes. Mid-table again next season?

And Man City demoted to League 2 perhaps?

2 Likes

Possibly, though tbf and a being a little less unkind than I’ve felt for much of the season, but for a couple of poor VAR decisions or a couple of goalposts in just some of the games, even with complete capitulation at Arsenal, Chelsea would be sixth and aiming for Europe. Which most would have accepted at the start of the season as a beginning of the recovery needed. However, it just seems one of those seasons where we don’t get the luck falling our way.

Otoh, perhaps this being a closer season has flattered us somewhat.

I do feel if the game were played only between the boxes we’d be right up there, in that part of the field they can be very skilful industrious.

The trouble is the amount of goal opps we’ve scuffed and at the other end this is a record season for Chelsea shipping goals. Now, it doesn’t matter what Poch says, we’ve never conceded as many goals (59 so far) in a Prem season. Ever. In Jose’s first season we conceded 15 (with 25 clean sheets). And for many years we’ve been known as a tough team to crack, usually with a very healthy GD figure.

Last year was messy with a number of managers and a -GD figure but with a better GA figure than this year still. In the two years before that we conceded low/mid thirties. This year’s figure must be down to the manager failing to identify and sort that.