English Premier League Season 2023/24

Well done to Gary O’Neil for speaking out if more managers, fans, owners spoke out too we might actually get somewhere.

2 Likes

In the end this looks like it might come down to Pope being the better goalkeeper. And a poor decision on what should have been a PSG penalty imo.

It looks like Newcastle might be heading down to the Europa League unless the can beat AC Milan at home and Borussia Dortmund beat PSG in their last match so qualification is still mathematically possible though not entirely in their hands.

If we beat Milan at home (which I’ve always thought we will), a draw in the other game gets us through. I can’t see Dortmund losing at home. Time will tell :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My money will definitely be on Dortmund to get at least a draw at home against PSG who I must admit looked much, much better last night Nick Pope almost single handedly kept you in the CL last night he was massive.

Time will tell. When the draw was made, I would have been happy to see us win one game at home. We’ve done that. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we’d get through the group.

Shame about last nights late penalty, but we’ve still got a good chance and hopefully have a couple more players back by the Milan game. I’ve watched this lot through thick and thin, all my life, so these are heady days. Enjoy the match tonight Bob.

3 Likes

There was quite a difference between Eddie’s post match comments and those made a couple of weeks ago from a certain premier league manager!

Gutted to only get a draw, although to be fair it seemed like our goal was leading a bit of a charmed life in the 2nd half.

I thought Lewis Miley showed great maturity for a 17 year old. Last weekend he was up against Enzo and the Chelsea midfield and then 3 days later away against PSG. He certainly didn’t look overawed.

Hopefully a few of our injuries will start to clear up soon and we can get some depth back. We really didn’t have any options from the bench yesterday. A win in 2 weeks time and we at least get to stay in Europe.

2 Likes

Saw Miley play for the under 21s in the EFL Trophy and maturity is clearly a relative thing. The under 21s are a poor lot and a good indicator of how far things have yet to progress. He was one of maybe 2 players you’d look and say there was something there but the rest were very poor indeed. Beaten comfortably by a third string Wrexham team.

What stood out though was Miley’s attitude. Zero tolerance of any player around him. Audibly frustrated. Not in the least bit encouraging or a team player. Moaned ceaselessly. Zero distinction between those things at which he could rightly moan and those where he looked a complete arse. During a drinks break for an injury there was an audible gasp from the travelling Newcastle fans as his own coach could be heard very clearly to say “Mate STFU before one of the lads makes you”.

Several weeks later it’s the only memorable aspect of the game. Nowadays an attitude problem doesn’t stop a player with talent. He has real talent but he also has a serious attitude and his first red as a senior player won’t be too far away.

1 Like

Keano,

Just thought your lot might be interested in the following. Comes cheap…

A clear upgrade.

2 Likes

A draw gets us in the Europa thing Graeme. It guarantees us 3rd on goal difference. Hopefully we get more than that :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Miley was fantastic Graeme, as he was on Saturday against players who cost more that £100m. Yes, he’s a kid with lots to learn, but he has played Champions League at the age of 17, and I’m proud of him. :black_heart::white_heart:

2 Likes

Grief, Lens are crap. No wonder they are only 6th in the very weak ( think Championship level ) Ligue 1. They look like they have sold all their good players, and have no chance of qualifying for the Champions League again for a long time.

Of course, Squatter fans will hail today as a magnificent victory. Their level is that low :roll_eyes: Ultimately, there will be tears, as we all know.

1 Like

“Hopefully a few of our injuries will start to clear up soon and we can get some depth back.”

Just please not Callum Wilson in time for the Everton game :grin:

1 Like

Lordy. How something pretty simple got “not simple”.

1 Like

You can mock and be ungracious but that is how you qualify for the knockout stages of The Champions League with some panache. Die Deutsche Giraffe was at it again last night we had 6 different scorers and where electric Arteta has let the boys take the handbrake off in these CL matches and gone was the pensive defence minded Arsenal of this years PL we looked more fluid and more like the Arsenal of last season.

Lens no doubt are not the stiffest of opponents and neither are Seville or PSV but all where beaten and with a game to spare. There will be a much better level of competition entering the draw for next round of course but hopefully it’s kind to us again

2 Likes

No mocking or ungraciousness here, even from a ManU supporter! Well played throughout the campaign, unlike my lot who have continued to snatch defeats or draws from good positions. Please will you sell us Ramsdale and you can have “Onono”! I’ve a lot of time for your young squad, and the way they play football; it’s just the histrionics of your manager that I cannot stand.

2 Likes

Thank you Steve.

I haven’t read it anywhere, but I wonder whether that’s the first time ever a team has had 6 different scorers in the CL?

I recall there were several different scorers (maybe 6) in Bayern’s 8-2 thrashing over Barcelona a couple of years ago, but getting 6 in 6 is some doing!

1 Like

Secret Santa gift for a colleague

8 Likes