Epos ES14 Anyone?

Although the ES14 is brilliant … the Whafedale 708 was superior in the midrange… and was missed when I swapped to the ES14…the ES14 was far superior in bass…

1 Like

I have ES22’s and I absolutely love them. I keep wondering how much I’d have to spend to really get something ‘better’.

4 Likes

My ES11s were purchased in 1991 and retired in 2011. They’re still boxed in the garage. No idea what state they’re in now but for some reason I could never shift them. Wonderful speaker and lovely to hear about what happened to Robin Marshall.

1 Like

Loved my ES14. - the first serious speaker for me coupled with an Exposure 6/7/8 - wonderful. I then moved onto an ES25 and finally ES30s.

1 Like

I had a pair for years…they replaced my wharfedale 708s…they were very nearly as spacious but with better drive…a great speaker…a true classic…

1 Like

@Richard.Dane Apologies Richard, re: deleted post - thought we could comment on / reference other forums, but not post links to them.

“please do not post “live” links to commercial hi-fi or other commercial websites and please do not link or make any reference to discussions posted on other forums .”

I have messaged you, so the thread is not messed up.

1 Like

Thanks Richard.

Not ES14s, but I still run ES22s. I bought them new in 2000 and initially ran them with 102/180, they are now on the end of NDS/555/252/300. The electronics have far surpassed the speakers but, like @DamianB I still love them.

They were a natural upgrade for me from ES11s which I previously had for ten years powered by an Exposure XX integrated to play CDs on a CD3, my first piece of Naim kit. The ES11s are still in my “spare hifi” cupboard and I still have the original open stands in the loft. I keep saying I’ll get them out one day to see what they sound like after 30 years on the end of the 300…

Same here. I felt my current amplification exhausted the ES11s and finally exposed the slightly rolled off top end which made them so compatible with so many systems. Auditioned the 22s but they didn’t do it for me so I’m now in a very different place.

They sit in the garage boxed up and their somewhat frayed stands sit supporting various boxes surrounded by wellies etc. I’ve never been able to persuade anyone to buy them and I’m tempted to get them out every now and again but I suspect after 30 years and 9 in the garage the drivers may have sagged slightly and the stands would need to be reanodised.

1 Like

Hi Mike, mine have escaped the ravages of the loft/garage so I hope they’re still in reasonable condition. Your Zu speakers look interesting – I don’t know much about them. How do they compare to the Epos sound?

I’m always amazed by the brave souls here that put the effort into auditioning and changing speakers on a regular basis. It’s always struck me as the hardest thing to do with a system which is probably why I’ve still got the same speakers after 20 years!

1 Like

Mine may have escaped lightly. I can’t bring myself to look. Such a wonderful speaker. They were in place for about 20 years and it took me 3 years of auditions before I settled on the Zu. There’s no comparison really. The Zu offer more bass and superb tone/timbre but they’re a very different beast indeed to the Epos.

1 Like

Completely understand the sentiment.
I’ve tried / auditioned several of the usual suspects. Although they have something new to offer, maybe just different, rather than light and day?

In the meantime, I’ve upgraded other bits of my current system. Each time, my Epos ES14’s keep giving and showing an improvement!

Couldn’t agree more with the idea that your speakers maybe the hardest item to change.
Still got my much loved Epos ES14’s and sticking with them for now…

3 Likes

Hello,
I know the Epos ES 14 from before.
Which of the current manufacturers come closest to the old ES sound and are affordable?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The indomitable Epos ES14.

Since moving home recently, we’ve swopped a few bits of our Hi-Fi about.
This is how we have our ES14’s now.

They now sit with our late 80’s LP12 as source and connected to Naim NAC72 - HC - NAP140.
Which is probably their spiritual home. (All same period).

Please do share your own photos and stories about ES14’s.

19 Likes

Lived with a pair es14s in the 80s. They weren’t mine but my friends/flatmate. An all time favourite of mine. Are those 45rpm 7" singles I spot in your cabinet. If so your very brave. The combination of your lovely troika, a felt mat and a 7" single is way beyond my risk appetite! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Years of practice “cuing up”, the needle to drop right. :wink:

Do all your friends have such good taste. Sounds like you have great friends. :+1:

1 Like

Impressive!