Epos ES14 Anyone?

Had the ES14s a long time now. Paired with Quad 33/303 amplification Michell Syncro TT and Denon CD player - whole system sounds great rather surprisingly. Bright Denon offset by Quad’s laid back amplification. Capacitors have been upgraded. Then the speaker surrounds had cracks but managed to get those replaced. Still sounding great.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware it was possible to drive ES14s actively without major surgery.

If I remember correctly, later versions of the 14s were fitted with extra connections to allow them to be bi-amplified. Are you sure it wasn’t this set-up you heard?

In the beginning, way back in the mid 80’s, mine started with Quad 34 + 405 II
Nice :+1:

Yes, the last ones had bi-wire terminals, which is what I have, albeit I run them single wired with F connection.

Thanks Richard.
I suspected I was getting my bi-wires and bi-amps mixed up. :worried:

Mine are earlier versions with single wire connections I believe. It’s been so long since I looked!

Yes that’s where I got my replacement surrounds from.

Hi,

It was at a hifi show - I remember they were an one off active

1 Like

We learn something new every day. I didn’t realise that was possible with the Epos.
That must have been a very interesting demonstration.
Will this knowledge trigger some owners to try “activating” the ES14s for themselves? Would one of the current Naim NAXOs be suitable for this, or are they only suitable for certain speakers (e.g. Kudos)?

@PhilJPH @Alley_Cat @Swanny @PaulM @cwhizz @patashnik @GMur @Nicosrex @nic1ification

Epos ES14 Anyone?

How about some nice photos of ES14’s still in use and being enjoyed.

Stories are an optional extra.

They currently look very sad on the floor adjacent to each other unconnected to anything but arranged face to face to minimise accidental driver damage!

1 Like

Still using mine. Always curious what people eventually (and happily) changed to after the 14’s. They can’t last forever…

(Unfortunately having issues uploading picture, sorry)

1 Like

I had 11s until late last year. At the time I bought them they were the new boys in town and seen as the easier sibling but over the years it’s noticeable how much the love for 14s has grown. I’ve only heard them twice at length. Once on a system where they were poorly set up and once where they were set up very carefully and sounded wonderful. I couldn’t get on with the looks though. They always looked a bit like a DIY project to me whereas I fell for the 11s immediately partly because they looked like I felt a speaker ought.

2 Likes

There we go. :grin:

14 Likes

Magnificent in all their glory.
That’s very warming to see them in use, like that…

Thanks for sharing :wink:

2 Likes

There’s now a pretty good system behind them (compared to when I originally bought them), which just goes to show how well they can perform. I’ve always been curious however what my system would sound like with a more up to date speaker from, say, Spendor or PMC etc.

Upgrade not on radar just now but would love to know what I’m missing out on. The 14’s sound great to me, but maybe a home demo might steer me towards a newer speaker. After all mine are knocking on for 30 years old, albeit with little use for some time in the middle, and were second hand when I got them in ‘92.

Maybe just wait until they naturally expire……

2 Likes

I can only echo your thoughts.
My experience is very similar.

Having tried lots of alternatives at £3k or £4k, to explore the options.
Only just recently, I had a long listening session, thinking about changing to PMC Twenty5 23i.
They are very nice speakers. They do lots of things really well.

I would be the first to admit, the ES14’s have their weaknesses. For example, modern alternatives are able to express bass notes in a much crisper, controlled way. But then I listen to the ES14’s again and weigh the small differences. For example, the very clear midrange - things like voice, piano, acoustic guitar - just sound so natural. The ES14’s have strengths too. So, it’s a challenge to “let go” and move onwards !

I foresee a situation where we maybe bring another pair of speakers into the home. But they co-exist along with my old friends, these Epos ES14’s. They are so dear to us, I’m not sure we can ever let the go. As some one else said earlier in this thread, I think my ears have grown Epos ES14 shaped by now.

Also, like you, mine weren’t used much in their middle period. From about 2000 - 2015, they were in storage (in their boxes), while other bits of HiFi got used instead.

Over the years, mine have been used with lots of other systems. On each occasion we have changed or upgraded something, they have revealed a little more music available in the system.

Lastly, its reassuring that your Epos ES14’s are working with 282 - 2xHCDR- 250DR.
Gives me, maybe others too, the confidence to carry on for bit longer with our own Naim journey.

KR
R

3 Likes

I have exactly the same sentiment here: I also have listened to speakers within the same budget as you mention and good (only good by the way) as they are they still haven’t been enough to warrant me swapping. I am in a bit of a spot at the moment having inherited a pair of Shahinian Compasses from the same era (earlyish 90s) which I do like (detailed on another dedicated thread) but the thought of moving on the 14s just pains me…I cannot do it.

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

As I improved my system over the last couple of years to where I’m at now, the speakers always seemed to handle the upgrades with dexterity. I never felt they were being overwhelmed by the (now very expensive) system.

I would agree that the £3-4k budget would be a sensible choice for a balanced system given the 282/250 level. So some more demo/research is needed.

I have also to agree that the midrange capability with the right tunes is very impressive.

But, and I am happy to be told otherwise, I expect they are probably the weakest link in my system as it stands now.

Not in a hurry though…

2 Likes