Epos ES14 Anyone?

Pure respect for having so wanted a pair back on the day totally means that no advice on what could replace a pair being posted.

2 Likes

Where are the speaker cables?

3 Likes

That’s the Mk 3 wireless version. Way ahead of its time :wink:

5 Likes

Look closer! Or, it’s all just EPOS magic …? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I moved from a 82/HiCap DR to a 52/Supercap, both with a 250 a few months ago and my 14’s easily showed what an excellent improvement it was.

1 Like

Chucking them in a skip after 30 years is even harder and not recommended; I couldn’t get anyone to help me with the seals Richard alludes to and without a fix they were unplayable. We were having a major clear out and in the skip they went. A year later the nearest Naim dealer to Darling Harbour told me he could have fixed them for me!!!:((

To make matters worse I subsequently learned that the dedicated ‘open’ stands that went with them may have been a better option for my EPOS M12s than the tubed tripod thing they now stand on. Oh well.

The ES14s were part of my first ‘grown-up’ audio set up bought from Westwood & Mason in Oxford in 1988 paired with (I think) a NAP90/NAC 62.

After that I have vowed to throw nothing away.

2 Likes

Dommage!

wow, that would have been a pain to have discovered that they could have been fixed. I see that you have moved on to Fine and hopefully you are enjoying those. I can see me continuing to hold on to mine for my mythical 2nd system one day…

2 Likes

A sound plan I think Paul. I am currently listening to my EPOS M12s as I sold the Fynes this week, the Epos are doing alright! For now.

1 Like

If its any consolation I left a perfectly pristine and fully functional Nakamichi cassette deck down the tip years ago because I didn’t use cassettes anymore. Anything no longer of use now either gets loaned out or parked in the loft, stumbled on my Linn Lk1 / Dirak the other day …

3 Likes

aargh…!

2 Likes

I already pre-emptively cringe at a possible new thread “things you shouldn’t have thrown away” :scream:

4 Likes

As an exercise in therapy or atonement? Or both… BTW I suspect Richard doesn’t throw anything away.

Which model? You have made me feel better! My Nakamichi BX 125 is the only part of the original set up I still have, it’s got a bit of a dodgy balance switch but other than that it plays my substantial library of SA90 tapes wonderfully in Dolby C. I can still go back to the endless take outs of the Annie Nightingale show😎

3 Likes

Fortunately (that’s a relative statement) it was “only” a Cassette Deck 2, was second prize in a HiFi Choice competition back in the 90’s. If I had kept it I could at least play the 3-4 cassettes I now own again due to special edition box sets, the most recent being Alt-J latest album.

Probably went back to it 3 times before I finally closed the boot and drove off.

2 Likes

I could start that thread with a pair of Thorens TD150, Quad FM2 and a Revox A77…

2 Likes

It looks like the answer to everyone’s prayers might not be too far away.

Epos Loudspeakers Facebook page yesterday showed photos of the prototype ES14N speaker due for launch at the Munich High End Show on 19th and 20th May 2022.

Looks to be a fair bit smaller than the old ES14; more ES11 in size I would guess. Also now paired with some monstrous Japanese amplifier rather than a Naim.

Time will tell!

5 Likes

Just when I thought my 30+ year speaker search was at an end.

Let’s hope there are sonic similarities as the visual ones are non-existent.

1 Like