ES14 is back

Aesthetics a little strange…but nice to see this icon back…

1 Like

It’s just a new ugly thing trading on the name of a classic. It’s about as much like a proper ES14 as the BMW Mini is to a proper Mini from the 60s.

5 Likes

Unlike the Mission 770…

1 Like

It may not be pretty (it isn’t), but there’s a very inventive speaker designer now behind the brand, so I would hope / expect that forms follows function, and do look forward to reading the first impressions from the Munich show.

1 Like

I don’t know why but it looks like a failed prototype from the 70’s when BBC were designing K9 to accompany Dr Who. Also has a touch of the Titan 505’s about it but not in a good way. Clearly sound is most important but that is a fugly speaker

3 Likes

A touch of the old Ruark Equinox about them.

G

1 Like

If Ruark started building speakers again , I would be in the queue .

I once bought a pair of Ruark Sabres without listening to them , I was just overjoyed to see such craftsmanship . One of my best audio decisions

1 Like

It’s also available in Walnut and White, both of which look better than the black imo.
Also worth noting the tweeter has some inspiration from the great Roy George!

2 Likes

The defence that the designer is wonderful and well-respected misses the point for me. This is not an ES14 in any respect.

1 Like

I have to confess my ignorance, as I don’t think I’ve ever heard of an ES14 before (maybe because I struggle find satisfaction from small speakers, so whilst some designs are interesting, few grab my attention in any way).

Who made it and what did people think was good about it?

Epos ES14, lots of articles and pix with that search term

1 Like

The original ES14 was designed Robin Marshall. He has previously designed the extremely highly regarded (and now bona fide '80s classics) Monitor Audio R252 and R352 for Mo Iqbal. The ES14 was a great sounding speaker at an accessible price. It’s why many still enjoy them, including yours truly in my office system.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Robin Marshall also designed the Audiomaster MLS1.

1 Like

Another special speaker and one that I used to have along with the R252 and R352.

And if I’m correct Robin Marshall designed the Audiomaster Image 2. I still have a pair in regular use , bought around 1978 and still sounding great

3 Likes

At Munich they sounded excellent

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.