Ethernet cable oddity?

Have you fitted the F1 to the system yet?

No. I’m using the stock supply that came with my EE 8Switch.

It’s the only part i haven’t upgraded thus far, i thought i was all done & dusted? Any good?:crazy_face:

My opinion, for what it is worth, would be a positive result. However, you are asking a person who uses full loom Vodka ethernet :blush:

3 Likes

Oh dear!:flushed:

2 Likes

…Only one way to find out.

I like it, but that’s meaningless in the context of your system and preferences.

G

2 Likes

Yes indeed I felt the cinnamons just pushed detail to far and were tiring. The chord clearway streaming has brought a richer and more rounded sound.

2 Likes

Each to their own of course but I found Catsnake 6a (floating) full loom from Designacable more rounded than Clearway and my system is not 555/NDS level and I’m not using Powerlines.
But then I tried a borrowed Chord Epic on the last leg and Catsnake 6a seemed a bit boomy in the bass in comparison. Never tried a Vodka though.

Stale popcorn anyone? :joy:

It’s odd I was using cinnamon before with my old system and felt the same as most here that it was too bright. I went back to the standard melco cable as it was warmer! But I changed my amps and speakers away from Naim and forgot about it all. But I was listening to a vocal track at a demo recently went home and played it and it was ear piercing. I got the audio quest cable back out and it disappeared. That forward sound now balances with my system give me the clarity I always wanted without the pain! The bass I thought was lean before is now natural and deep. I have always considered a more expensive cable, maybe one day but for now! Every system every room as they😉

2 Likes

If your system reacts to the difference in ethernet cables, there might be lot of reasons:

1. one of the cables is not very good
  2. there is some issue with noise, grounding, mains, etc, which is somehow fixed with the cable

Once I was listening to the system that streamed from usb attached directly to the streaming dac. When the dealer was changing ethernet cables, some people observed slightly differenct in sound.
As the ethernet was not involved in the streaming pipeline, I assume there was some other issue.

you sound like you know what you’re talking about but it’s the same people that don’t think speaker cable makes any difference. 79 stand? We have been trying cables like these for years at my local hifi shop and they do seem to make a difference! If it works? :kissing:

1 Like

Really?

Allegedly this is all fixed with a pair of jeans, regardless.:thinking:

If ethernet cables change sound when the usb is playing, to me it is a proof that there are other issues, not related to the network transmitting. I’d start from the mains, grounding, etc.

Everything matters. There is no solid ground ‘so to speak’ . It wasn’t a dig at you man. I was just sounding out. FWIW the MeiCord Opal continues to beat all of them, with ease. Enjoy your HiFi! Feet are tapping, trousers are simply wafting air!:eyes::sunglasses::facepunch:

2 Likes

I don’t use usb? The cable is from my melco to my streamer! As an experiment I tried a cat 8 cheap cable an older cat 5 a melco and finally the audioquest! Everyone sounded different just like cable does on speakers. The cheap ones were terrible on high frequencies very bright melco was good but warm the audioquest was miles ahead sonically! I can play out loud without pain and the openness well that’s another thing! So despite your reservations on either my system or my mains I am stuck with it and it works!

Have you compared the mei to the cinnamon? What was the difference? Love to try it of course!

I tried MeiCord Opal to Cinnamon, and a number of the others that were the fav-ravs around 3 or 4 years ago. A mix of cheapo to midrange to boutique priced, Cat6 Cat 6a Cat7 & Cat7a

Some got close to Meicord, BJC for e.g., but nothing that was more expensive than MeiCord.
I ended up with MeiCord from NAS to Switch to NDX & BJC Cat8 from BB hub to Switch.
No wish to change or question what I have.

1 Like

I agree with Mike-B here. Yes i have the full loom BJC Cat 6a, AQ Cinnamon, Vodka, and MeiCord Opal. Also one CatSnake 6a (floating shield). My fave of the lot are the MeiCords - there is just a rightness (tonally) in the sound that all of the others just don’t have. I like all of the other cables in their own way, but it’s the MeiChord Opals that have me tapping my feet the most from my Naim system.

I don’t have any switching boxes and honestly have no clue about what they do!:relaxed: I just have a melco to naim streamer! To better the cinnamon is going to be hard! I assumed everyone would be saying vodka and more expensive cables but catsnake and meicord are more low priced! Not sure how to get to hear them as my dealer doesn’t have them! I am sure the right one will be system dependent thanks

They add more RJ45 ports to your network.
Some use them for SQ improvements
I use a switch primarily to have just the one visible ethernet running to & from the BT hub, 2nd is it reduces the ethernet lengths (£$€) in the installation & yes it does sound better.
I have x1 cable from the BT hub to the switch & NDX, NAS & TV out from the switch.

1 Like

So meicord from melco to naim is your recommendation? Have you heard the Beldon catsnske another recommendation from people I trust in here! My system now shows off the differences at last so now keen to play around