Ethernet cable oddity?

I’ve tried a half dozen different cables and the Cinnamon was the worst in my system. The Vodka was a little better. Cheap ethernet cables sounded better. And ethernet spec BJC cat 6A sounded the best of all. Natural, full, and balanced, the music just sounds right.

2 Likes

Thanks for suggesting BJC Cat 6a last month to me very grateful let’s leave it at that :+1::sunglasses:.

1 Like

It seems the press also favour the MeiChord Opal. Upper pics taken from the net. Bottom pic is my own MeiChord Opals into my EE 8Switch. To my ears the unshielded UTP Cat 6 stranded Ethernet cable easily sound the best😎

Problem is every system is different and the only way I could try is by buying and then I can’t really send them back but it sounds like there is possibly three different ideas

Of course. FWIW - when i was running various Cisco 2960 switches both the Cinnamon & Vodka cables sounded awful. Not so with the EE 8Switch, the complete opposite. Every system is different, as you say.

I’m glad it worked out for you.

1 Like

It’s good to experiment with some different cables and I’d make sure you include at least one quality made ethernet spec cable among all the expensive streaming cables just to be sure. Good quality ethernet spec cables are generally inexpensive and can be easily re-purposed if they don’t work out in your system.

These cables seem to be very system dependant. In my system with a cisco 2960 switch I tried cheap cables which sounded horrible. Next meicord opal which sounded ok but a bit congested and slow. Then cinnamon which sounded quite thin and bright. Then vodka which showed all else a clean pair of heels. The vodka is very open and fast sounding, not too bright nor too warm but just right for my system. I haven’t tried anything further as I’m so pleased with the vodka.

3 Likes

As a final update the final leg of clearway streaming in and also shawline usb between ultrarendu and chord qutest… in a word … Nice! It’s stiff and a blighter to dress but left playing overnight it’s nicely open and relaxed… replaced an Audioquest carbon usb which was getting tiring

1 Like

:large_orange_diamond: Neotech 1020 Silver USB-cable.
This is a usb-cable that replaced my Vertere Redline USB-cable.

• Neotech 1m = $164
• Vertere Redline 1m = $445

As it is Teflon insulated,.it requires up to 200 hours of “burn in” before it delivers at its peak.
A very good and “musical” usb-cable,.which is worth keeping in mind when evaluating usb-cables.
Also affordable…

2 Likes

That’s worth knowing as the chord shawline usb a connection has failed! The cable is soo stiff and the connections didn’t line up so I had to put a 90 degree twist along the length of the cable and I guess one of the connections had failed… nothing but white noise or silence… it’s gone back to dealer so may ask for refund and try something else.

1 Like

@Peder - hifi collective in U.K. sell the neotech 1020 for £131 delivered so I’ve taken a punt and arriving today! I’ll let you know how they sound but was quite taken by the price for occ silver wires and the fact that they are a cable manufacturer and supply other companies.

1 Like

The opening track of Nitin sawneys beyond skin album brought a smile… this is a very special cable and half the price of mainstream brands! If it’s got more to give then happy happy days! Thanks for the recommendation @Peder !

3 Likes

If it brings a smile then that’s really good. That’s what this great hobby is all about. No smile, no joy. Enjoy!:+1:

3 Likes

Hello Hifi-dog :slightly_smiling_face:
Fun with a music tip,.I have to listen to that opening track.

It’s all about system matching as you know,.but this Neotech Silver USB-cable is really,really good.

I have a friend who is a much talked about hi-fi electronics designer,.and his music-system is also much talked about,and is considered one of Sweden’s best music-systems.
He also uses this Neotech Silver usb-cable.
AND,.he was the one who got me interested in trying it…
Also,.when the Swedish importer of Neotech was going to greet me,well then I asked him to bring the cable so I could try it.

And,.the rest is history,that cable stayed in my system :smiley:.
And as you also noted,.the price is surprisingly low.

1 Like

That’s a superb album. Not only great music but a really immersive production with sounds extending far beyond the speakers and behind the listening position too.

2 Likes

Yup. Makes my n-SATs/nSUB sound like DBLs.

Ok i’m exaggerating but you know what i mean…:flushed:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.