Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Thanks - this diagram makes it clear why the optical module isn’t making a huge difference - because while it does stop noise coming from your Roon Core, it doesn’t stop noise from your Melco server, your Melco switch and its psu, or your Cisco and the network attached to it from entering the DAC.

I was imagining that the opticalmodule was between your last hifi box and the DAC, which would then block noise from almost all your equipment.

If you had a dac with a usb input, I suppose you could feed the OpticalModule directly into it - presumably that’s its ideal usage situation.

@charlesphoto - does your optical module feed directly into the DacV1’s usb input?

…I’m for now putting that ahead of me as I’m probably sure you are correct. I’ve not had the demo and my Dealer does not currently - I think - stock Chord after some kind of bizarre misunderstanding between them, so it is not an easy demo - perhaps fortunately! :upside_down_face:

But I’m finding so many other areas where it matters - like the switch feeding the HiFi that determining the ‘line of best spend’ I’ll call it - is difficult!
I need to not over-concentrate funds in one place by losing sight of the whole system.

I try to determine chief performance-limiting choke-points in my system and remove them as funds allow on occasion. The last very big choke point in my Active system was getting the S1 Pre into it - but I can hardly recommend that for all as although it is silly-better it is also silly-price! :cold_sweat:

But things like the ER switch cost was nicely reasonable within context of my ND555-Melco source. The ND555 was the next choke-point after the S1 Pre and really has lots of capability latent within it which all these peripheral upgrades help evoke from it.

DB.

1 Like

It’s blowing 60mph outside, so they blew away but I’ve put them back again.

1 Like

Or better yet a Lumin N1, though I’ve not had a listen to one yet.

1 Like

No! The opticalModule is a Fiber media Convertor - i.e. it goes from RJ/45 in to optical out, and then vice versa on the receiving end (op in, RJ45 out). There are a few streamers out there with optical in, namely the opticalRendu and Lumin I believe. The second, receiving oM, goes to a microRendu 1.4 via Ghent Cat6a JSSG, and the microRendu is plugged into the USB on the rear of the V1 via an Uptone USPCB hard adapter.

The USB input on the V1 is one of its main features (and costs) so the microRendu was a great solution for streaming when it came along vs the SPDIF in I was using before with the UQ as streamer only. The mR (esp with the 1.4 clock and board upgrade) is/was much better and the UQ better as an all in one. The mR also casts Roon via its Bridge app to the UQ which is now in the office, so performs a really valuable function in making the UQ ‘Roon ready.’

The opticalModules I liken to a sharpening (and/or clarity) filter in Photoshop or Lightroom. It takes what’s there and just focuses it more clearly. Much more solid presentation, lifts more of the proverbial veil, and reveals much more of the lead and decay of instruments, all the while retaining that great Naim prat. Similar to what people are saying about the etherRegen.

2 Likes

Copied from another thread, because it may be significant in discussing matters where ground (earth) may be significant, and clearly some people - e.g. possibly the OP’s cadre - may have a different electrical setup from that of others:

1 Like

Here’s what the back of the V1 looks like. Had to go with the 45 degree Metz connector on the Ghent cable to make it fit. And I raided the lego bin to make a little holder for the mR. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But which is the best lead?

@Beachcomber Only the pixies know the answer to that one!!The Ferret - Blacksmith Miniatures - Painted by Michael Volquarts img2-L

When the weather improves I’ll pop down to the end of the garden and ask.

2 Likes

I do like your creative use of Lego for your microRendu. I hope you cleared it with your kids first and that they’re not now missing a couple of vital parts.

Let’s hope this doesn’t branch off into a ‘Lego or Fisher Price’ - which form of support is better from a SQ perspective!

Yes, absolutely. But the contention is that if there is very little from outside, then there may be more crosstalk from internal sources that can’t “get out”. That is, in thick layman’s terms, why BJC contend that Cat6 may be a better choice in a domestic environments than Cat6a

Crosstalk may result in packets needing to be retransmitted and may affect Gigabit more than 10/100 Mbit and longer cable runs more than shorter. Does home audio need to worry about using STP cable?

So far I have avoided mania by using Innuos Zenith into nDAC. My humble 8-10 m cat5e works nicely between my 2960 8TC and the Zenith. A routine of cleaning Powerline contacts (unplug/plug once) and others cables works wonders. Maybe Ethernet cables benefit also!

Phil

I found the Cinnamon to be the worst of all the streaming cables I tried. Bright, harsh, little bass and not much sound stage. Even going to a cheap unknown brand cat 5e was better. Replacing the AQ with a BJC cat 6 was an epiphany and the BJC 6a was even more so. But my system is fairly simplistic compared to most here with only a QNAP/SU/Ovator.

:small_blue_diamond:@Innocent_Bystander,…cadre,.I don’t understand this word.?

Otherwise,.I installed dedicated mains to my music-system back in 1985/1986.
•I’ve always had L-N-E in my music-system.

I installed my dedicated mains together with the former distributor for Naim/Linn.

:small_orange_diamond:Ps: Most of my hifi-friends did this a few years later.

/Peder🙂

That doesn’t sound right to me. Even though I’m no great fan of the Cinnamon I have found it to be substantially better than many of the generic Cat 5e cables I have tried…

Cadre, according to the Cambridge English Dictionary is

a small group of trained people who form the basic unit of a military, political, or business organization

Cadre is Administrator

[/quote]

I found the Cinnamon to be the worst of all the streaming cables I tried
[/quote]

I have not found this … mine is 8m long and is quite rich sounding with good detail and timing a really good balance…pretty much as DB describes…

Completely misplaced use of the word in this threads context, maybe better an alternative is a group of activists in a communist or other revolutionary organization.

2 Likes

I’ve learned that people here have varied tastes in musical presentation. I don’t tend to favor the the presentation of the boutique cables discussed here and I also note there are a lot going on the systems people have here compared to my simple set up.