Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

+1 Seems like a lot of fussing to still be connected to a noisy router.

1 Like

Could a switch go on the floor behind the Fraim (on a block of stone or PEEK or something), if your streamer was on a low shelf to minimise the cable distance?
Or mounted on the wall?

The danger is that now your steamer is being invaded with unwanted noise from the router.

I get all comments, however keep in mind I play almost 99.5 percent of the music directly from my Melco, so router / switch should play less of a role …

3 Likes

That’s what I thought! :laughing::rofl:

DB.

So if you bought 2 Cisco catalyst PD switches it would run ISP Router - PD switch - PD switch - Naim streamer linked with 3 ethernet cables?

Are you suggesting it would also have a significant impact in my scenario ?

Jim, the PD switch is PoE powered switch. It needs to be itself powered. This can be with Cisco 48VDC 300mA or equivalent power supply, an 802.3af PoE injector on the connecting lead going to to the PD uplink port, or connected to a PoE Power source device such as many of the 2960 Plus devices … or any PoE (802.3af) Power source device.

You talk about 40/60 euros, anything I have seen is between 450 and 700 euros, am I missing something ?

Yes.
If you are using, as you seem to be, your Melco just like me.
Always explore cheap upgrades before committing to very expensive ones is my suggestion.

My 2940 cost me £40 and my 2960 a whopping £120 because I decided to go for the fancy white box one - otherwise it would have been about £50-£70 in the blue-box version.

DB.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@BertBird,…On ebay,.Cisco Catalyst 2960 goes for between € 30-80.

There is also a German company that only deals with used Cisco-products.
They have warranty,.and run these Cisco’s through a test program…It costs a bit more,but not much.
And then you know what you buy,.a flawless product.

There is a similar company for used Cisco’s in Holland,.where our group has purchased our Cisco’s.
The Dutch firm I can recommend.

I can send you the name via Richard.Dane.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Is it against forum rules to post the name here?
In that case why are members allowed to mention all the types of kit and services they recommend?

:small_blue_diamond:@JimDog,…You may be right,.there is a lot of names who are mentioned here.
But it may be ok if it is related to Naim.

I think we have to ask Richard.

/Peder🙂

Ok.
Are the German and Dutch vendors doing the official Cisco Refresh refurbishment?
Or just doing their own reconditioning process?

I see new white models for around 220 euros in eBay Holland. At this level of system, I would not bother with refurbished ones.

:small_blue_diamond:@JimDog,…The Dutch firm has a 26-step test-program,.lifetime guarantee.

As well,.if it will be something wrong on a Cisco,so they immediately send you a new one.
This before they got the wrong one in return.

Some Cisco’s do not manage the test-program even though they work,.these are discarded.

So you’re thinking about it,.how many people who have bought their Cisco’s on ebay,who might have a less good Cisco in their music-system.
This is perhaps why some do not claim to hear any difference,.on a Cisco and for example a Netgear 108T.

And the technicians have undergone Cisco-training.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I bought a new white recent model for 110 euros. I can see some today for 200 euros. As the upgrade in sound is very effective, I feel it’s really not expensive.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…Is it a real powercable on the white Cisco’s also.?

/Peder🙂

Yes

1 Like

Can someone explain how or why I need a Cisco switch? I use a little Dlink for a few extra ports but I’m still not getting it

You can post the name, just avoid any direct links to sales sites.

2 Likes