Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Oh, I’m very special, my psychiatrist says so! :crazy_face: :rofl:

6 Likes

We are all special in our own way.

3 Likes

FR, not joking. I sat here down last night and went through all sorts of combinations with the switch in & out of the the system. I have now decided that the Cisco (in my system)brings with it no benefit to sound quality so I have decided to out it. On that same token, I tried my network with full BJC loom and with the Vodka in tow, I cannot hear a difference, if anything the full loom is better. So, as it stands for me now, I am direct to my PlusNet Hub One router with only two BJC cables. One from my NAS device and the other to my streamer. Everything here is sounding sweet, the way i am seeing things now? Less is MORE.

4 Likes

No what did I say last weekend. I predicted you would change again. I must be a prophet. :laughing::grin::rofl:

5 Likes

I blame the weather!:rofl:

2 Likes

Or the vodka, too much is never a good thing. Switch to Whiskey far better for the soul and mind.

4 Likes

But it’s not so good for cleaning skin!
(Which is the purpose for which I use vodka.)

1 Like

ND555 and three Vodka’s for the ears Grahams or Dows vintage port for the taste buds works for me.

:small_blue_diamond:@anon4489532,…Okay,.communicating on forums without seeing each other,always contributes to misunderstandings :wink:.

Then we are on a hifi-forum,.so I thought that everyone understands that I refer to HiFi and Music-people.
But I would have been clearer.

I am myself an admin/moderator on my forum,.and are often on the three others who we have in Sweden,where most people know who I am.
So to be clear Hungryhalibut,.it’s these people and groups,with this music and hifi-interest around Sweden I refer to in my previous posts😉.

/Peder🙂

Yes, I find organised chaos is the best way to dress cables.

If cables are too neat they are often running in parallel and touching other cables, rack, walls etc. A vey loose birds nest is best.:wink:

2 Likes

Indeed, neatly arranged cables that run parallel and appeal to one’s OCD aren’t necessarily the best dressed. I believe the same has been said about network cables and data cabinets, something to do with crosstalk, perhaps.

Thanks for the clarification, it’s much appreciated.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@BertBird,…Ok,.so you’ve taken the decision.

It’s just the time factor you don’t really know :wink:. Then I must congratulated you.
Sure,.you had listened to an Anzus-switch,.but you had not compared it to anything.?

What we heard with dual Cisco’s at our listening-test this week was really good.
So one wonders if it can get so much better with these switches… Anzus, Melco and Uptone.
But most likely it can :grin:.

If you get a Cisco in the meantime,.keep in mind that Live on your powercable to this Cisco,.shall be on the same side as to your Naim-products.
Many people do not think about this.

:red_circle: Ps: And the Dutch-company we buy from is called “Aliter Networks”.
However,.you must have a VAT-number in order to buy from there.
If you don’t have it,.maybe the German firm works better.

/Peder🙂

Anyone else suspect that Simon occasionally types out a bunch of random words just for fun? And if he did, how many here would even realise? Not me, for sure.

(Just kidding btw – several improvements in my system have come from Simon’s posts.)

3 Likes

I must admit, my standard 2960 configuration sounded broken this morning after i’d read Simons latest recommendation :grinning:

Seriously though, some of the more in depth configurations that Simon suggests are not something i normally need to deal with so his various musings have encouraged further reading and understanding.

1 Like

I just told my wife that her small business needs a second Cisco switch :smirk:

3 Likes

Some very anal folks over at CA Forum, makes this thread sound sane, suggested Port 1 and then port 8, I cannot recall the exact reason, but remember some mention of on another rail or something.

Most on CA (sorry Computer Audiophile) have gone totally off piste, there was a good thread, that faded last year.

1 Like

I challenge those here with their new generation Naim streamers who are using Cisco 2960 switches to take them out during replay and connect direct to the router. Let me know if you hear any change in sound quality because in my system there was hardly any, if anything mine has become more engaging direct to the router…I never really gave my streamer a chance without a switch so it has been a surprise to me now running without a switch.

1 Like

My personal feeling is the switch is a very minor but worthwhile tweak.

However the idea off unplugging makes no sense, as the music buffered to the Naim streamer already went via the switch.

1 Like

Yes I know, but once booted and the same track restarted then one can listen and make their own judgment.

1 Like