Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

As you know DB I have almost the same network setup as you except that I have 2x2960 rather than 1x2960 and 1x2940.

I think Simon’s recommendation (assuming he would kindly do so) would be useful for all us Cisco users who wish to experiment beyond simple plug and play operation in unmanaged mode.

Maybe it would be sensible to start a new thread entitled ‘Managing a Cisco Switch’ ??

1 Like

Left to my own devices I’ll take my time and methodically work my way through things and learn as I go - as I’m happy with this approach. Anything I learn I will post and provide how it is done.

But I’m not a Cisco expert - I did a Cisco CCNA course and passed it a few years ago but promptly forgot all the device config and management stuff as I was managing a team of guys putting in the stuff, so just needed the next level up what to put where and why.

But if someone - with the skills and inclination - can begin from a known position - a blank switch with no programming - and presumed 192.168.1.X home network spawned from a domestic Router - then the steps to put-on - try - remove, in steps will help a lot of people play.

Then list the bare minimum needed to get access - in my case I purchased the Console Cable and USB convertor. Then auto-downloaded the CH340 driver for that, then looked for free software via Putty to get a management connection - COM3 was where my Windows machine put the port, entered it into Putty and it worked for access to switch so I’m as a beginning place.

It is then very easy to mess-up unless you know and understand exactly what you are doing - and why - so this is where you take pause. Someone who is then ahead of you and knows what and why you are attempting to program the switch could carefully describe the next steps.

The disclaimer is that suitable words about making a mistake is owners responsibility will be needed! :laughing:

DB.

1 Like

The blue

I’ve changed 2960 blue to white… imho the white is better. Can’t really see why, both units are only a couple of yrs apart but the white offers a bigger presentation.

2 Likes

Second listening to BJ vs Vodka :

After a long night of well sleeping, my findings are more clear now.
The Vodka has more resolution : so logically the high frequencies are more extended. Bad recordings can appear more badly.
But generally, after around 30 tracks of comparing, the Vodka is richer, more tasty , the instruments sound more real , with more true tone colors. There is more bottom, extinction of notes, colors, nuances, the bass is better defined. The pleasure of listening is definitely towards the Vodka, vs the BJ…
Vs the diamond, it’s a bit like colors on an iPad first generation ( the sceen), vs an iPad Air 3. Another league completely.

I am a bit disappointed. I would have liked to gain 200 euros in solding the vodka.

6 Likes

I’ve learned over the years some people prefer a much brighter presentation than I do which underscores the subjectivity of these comparisons.

1 Like

The Vodka Ethernet can go bright at top and over-heavy in bass - but it does not have too I find. It has that ‘tendency’ when it is not in best system set-up. If you have a bright system and have to also cram the cable in then Vodka may not be what you want.

In my system - Active tends to bright, but set-up ameliorates all that and careful selection and balance meant that after a feisty run-in the Vodka works well, but I had to take care with the installation.

I’m interested - at some point - in other cables, but having tried some others it will remain in the ‘final’ link, for now, between Melco database and ND555.

I find far better gains in mixing and matching cables and the recent switch experiments. The changes here are far more than I got with the different cables.

For example - I find a non-screened cheap Cat6 cable 1.5m from Melco to switch imparts a beautiful rich balance and all harmonic richness is back, previously stripped-out by the other expensive and Cat7 cables I tried in that leg.

So you can tune it for what works for you and your system.

DB.

1 Like

Hey FR, that’s a really fair finding. I would stick with the Vodka if that’s the one that brings you most enjoyment and is affordable to you. We all have different systems, rooms, hearing, wallets, and musical tastes. I have pretty severe tinnitus, so I prefer tamed highs and have found the full loom of BJC and Ghent Belden to be really fatigue free, and good for all types of recordings if not the end all in micro-detail etc (not that my lowly system would register all of that).

I also really like the Sonore optical solution, though most on here haven’t tried and probably never will (a job for Peder and his rich friends methinks). It could be that because the opticalModules bring such a clarity to the sound, the BJC’s are a nice adjunct. Anyway, I’ve been up at my folks the last few days so no music (I don’t count Sonos and Pandora) which it is always nice to take a break and come back and hear just how good your HiFi can sound. Gratitude for what we have.

1 Like

Hi DB, my recommendations would be

A) ensure you’re streamer port is set up as a FastPort
B) enable an IGMP querier

These won’t affect SQ, but will help usability and ‘discovery’ speed with Naim streamers and the Naim app. The following steps may affect SQ in some circumstances

C) if you have significant multiple flows to your final switch including the media flows, enable ‘enable QoS’, mark the frames from the NAS/media server as a high priority, … follow the path through your switches, ensuring you recognise the high priority and assign to a high priority queue on the connected egress ports… this will help a smooth flow of frames in the media bursts irrespective of their traffic flows. Look Cisco.com guides for MLS QOS configuration on a 2960. I find this has far less impact on the newer streamers.

D) i also set up aggregated links between switches upto your streamer switch… set up etherchannel over two Ethernet patch leads… I use source MAC address balancing.

E) on later 2960 models, disable EEE and enable short reach mode on the port connected to the streamer.

If you are really feeling adventurous create a separate audio subnet just for your streamer. Use a L3 Catalyst switch like a 3560. Remember to enable multicast routing, and the appropriate helpers/forwarders between your streamer subnet and your main subnet so your Naim app and UPnP server can see your streamer on its own subnet… I have not done this recently… again I find the later streamers are better behaved to data processing noise … especially with an off board DAC.

Have fun :grinning:

3 Likes

The brightness is only on very few recordings, which are badly recorded. It’s completely different from preferring brightness.
As I said, the Vodka is more true to tone colors of real instruments. It’s richer, better defined, there are more nuances…more depth…
I hate personally brightness. But more a system is resolved, more it will reveal shortcomings in a recording, as brightness or other coins.

1 Like

I find some brightness only on 3 or 4 recordings / 50. And only on certain moments of these tracks. But it’s inherent of the recording.
But overall it’s more enjoyable to have more real instruments, more nuances, a livelier and richer sound, as in life.
My attention was more pleased with the vodka.

1 Like

I think it’s important to emphasise that this in your system. I found quite reverse with the Vodka in my own. In particular, instruments did not sound natural to me. This isn’t to say you are wrong and I am right - just that anyone reading needs to bear this in mind snd especially work with dealers who allow them to demo the expensive cables in their own systems at home.

1 Like

Thanks Simon - I’ll work my way through to it ahead so just gathering ideas for now.

As I mentioned, the ‘dumb switch’ mode is already giving me a lot of fun. A friend just visited for a few hours and he can readily hear the difference - he put it ‘you can hear all the different musical strands separately easier now and the noise-floor is lower’.

Exactly how and why it all works as a combination like this just now I don’t know, but having achieved a level where everything is sounding happy I will pause and enjoy before risking the next step just now - but I will go there ahead.

DB.

1 Like

Here’s the thing, what you call bright and I what I call bright are probably different things. My statement is a general statement about preferences. I’ve read for almost 20 years the comments of many of the members here and I know whose comments tend to jibe with my own experiences and vice versa. There have been some reactionary comments made here that don’t hold up to scrutiny and I know I can disregard those statements for that reason. There are few universal truths in this discussion so all we can do is share our experiences and let the readers decide.

2 Likes

240 euros is not expensive. You can buy online in a lot of online sites, test and return if not satisfied.
Chord Music is very expensive, so it’s more difficult to do that I guess.
If you have read my 2 posts, I have written that the test and findings concern my system of course.

That’s for a pretty short cable and even then I’m sure many would prefer to play safe with such a cable on a trial and return basis if there’s any doubt it may not be their preferred choice in their own setup. As you say, there are online stores that offer this service. Several on the forum have had good service from Futureshop, who honour this commitment and also sell Chord, a company whose ears tune into different things than mine: I’ve never heard a cable of theirs that I’ve liked.

You responded, just after my post, that some tend to prefer bright sound. So I felt logically concerned.
I wanted to point that Vodka is not bright sounding. If it was the case I would have sold it since a lot of months.
I use an all tube preamp, to compensate the little brightness I find with an all Naim system.
A neutral and resolving system will reveal more shortcomings, as brightness in a recording, vs entry level system ( less resolving).
The BJ are less resolving cables vs the Vodka : So if there’s some brightness in a track, the Vodka will reveal it more.

I also found them bright sn unnuanced. In my stem they exaggerated separation and lost instrumentsl texture. This was particularly noticeable on piano upper octaves for example.

But the we do have different gesr. I can imagine them pairing better with a vavle power amp.

Ok, but like I said, your view of brightness may or may not be the same as mine or anyone else’s. Same goes for resolving. There have been comments here that are diametric to your comments wrt BJC v Vodka.

« Lost instrumental textures »: for me it’s completely the opposite.

1 Like