Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Nothing really, just looking at vfm upgrades where i can get them as i have some spare ground wire and spare blank rca plugs. Im done with spending money on questionable expensive upgrades and rather go the diy route for SQ inprovements
Ive read tese on many websites and tey do work.

I dont have any groun pin on any equipment boxes in my set up which is why im using this common star ground method with a micromarl multiplug.
All boxes will be grounded through the rca of each box and usb if possible.
They will be star earthed to an olsen pdu spare socket.
Tink ive explained it rite.

Hmm, I probably fall into the ā€œwhite coatā€ brigade in that I believe everything has a scientific explanation (see the Blue Jeans cable discussion yesterday about cables burning in) - however I accept that science does not know it all yet, and I believe that listening is the final arbiter. But when I listen to music it is never analytically, and I get lost in music very easily - too easily, and as a result I struggle when auditioning gear or changes because I get drawn in and forget that Iā€™m supposed to be comparing. I probably have cloth ears, too - though I regard that as an advantage unless someone is a professional reviewer, because it can save a fortune in unnecessary expenditure.

Suggesting that listening ā€œproperlyā€ to music is a skill is missing the point of music. Skill is needed to analyse music, or to analyse systems through the sound of music, but good music penetrates to the soul - and bad music doesnā€™t need to be played. And despite my lack of training in listening to music, I donā€™t believe anyone can get more enjoyment out of music, or more emotionally engaged, than I do - even though my feet only tap occasionallyā€¦

2 Likes

Im happy for you, seems like you can really enjoy music many others cant, as theyre too busy in their minds thinking about constantly upgrading.
You strike me as an inbetweener. Id rather do diy upgrades as they cost tens of pounds not hundreds or thousands.
Good luck to ya!

1 Like

100% agreement here.

Hi All,

I am becoming increasingly disturbed the more I read on this thread. I have had a Supernait 3 and NDX 2 on home demo this week. I am using a cheap unbranded ethernet cable between my home wifi router and the NDX 2, it probably came from my ISP. Much of the feedback on this thread mentions what seem to be significant differences in sound quality from getting the ā€œrightā€ cable and using a Cisco switch before the streamer, and significantly poor quality with some cables. I only have until tomorrow with the Naimā€™s and am wondering if I have completely compromised my demo.

I am worried that 15K Euros of well-respected equipment can sound like an average 1K Euro set-up if one gets the interconnects wrong! Should I be worried or am I overreacting?

Thanks,
Chris.

Youā€™re overreacting

Thank you both.

@ChrisJH
I ā€˜thirdā€™ Michaelā€™s view; some of the stuff in this thread is fine tuning for obsessives, some bordering on & beyond insanity, to say nothing of the chaos linking it all together.

The cables that come with the kit, your ISP router & some sensibly priced (Ā£10 or less) ethernet from your favourite www or high street store is all you need.

After a while you might get the itch to fine tune, that can be great fun, but beware, there be dragons, there is no holy audio grail, only insanity.

5 Likes

Blimey! Quite a few assumptions there - based on what?
I think everyone here loves music, and listens to it with great enjoyment. The purpose of the equipment is simply to present that music in a way that is as close to the original as possible. It cannot do that if it is technically flawed, so you do need a certain level of quality first.

The cables do make a difference ā€¦ but you need to be careful with the whole ethernet delivery chainā€¦see my post on LPS supply and my findingsā€¦

1 Like

Try a Cisco and some cables. You will make your proper idea.

I think the dealerships need to wise up on this and be in a position to advise and set up the ethernet chain. Itā€™s actually a sales opportunityā€¦ oh its gigabit it must be okā€¦is not deliveringā€¦

I am so pleased you got this serviceā€¦thats great! Naming no names ā€¦ my dealer would not be capable of setting up a more optimised solutionā€¦it is worring as it can cripple the performance ā€¦ bits are not just bitsā€¦

1 Like

Given the problems that so often used to be reported with setting up networks, now seemingly morphed into threads about ethernet cables and switches, it seems that getting it right (=having no adverse effect) can be a real challenge, at least to some people in some systems and with some home networks. I suggested some time ago that Naim should recommend or approve one or more particular network setups, and require all their dealers to be competent in installation of them: challenging that may be for Naim, but maybe important for consistency of experience, and to avoid losing people who otherwise may get disillusioned.

An alternative is to avoid streaming across a network if not streaming from an online source, and there are solutions that enable that.

:small_blue_diamond:TiberioMagadino,ā€¦You never give up :rage:,.there are such comments above,which for me creates an incredibly big annoyance against you.

:small_blue_diamond:@ChrisJH,ā€¦Trust your retailer if he doesnā€™t prove the opposite.

As the OP for this thread,.so is the purpose of demonstrating the possibilities available to fin-optimize its system.
You can do this later,.if you have interest. Otherwise,.let it be,and just enjoy your music system instead.

If you are interested in something later on,.just return and ask questions here.
But we still have to be honest and say,.that most things you do with,and around a music-system affect soundquality.
But use the cables your retailer recommends.

If it is something that can be interesting,.so it is a pre-loved Cisco 2960.
It costs just Ā£ 40-60:-and gives a nice soundquality raise.

:small_orange_diamond:And if Iā€™m going to quickly recommend someone (except myself :grin::sunglasses:),.whose opinion you can trust.
So among many,.so I choose then to highlight Darkebear.

Good luckā€¦
/PederšŸ™‚

:small_blue_diamond:As with everything else,.you just rehearses yourself.
This I have also responded to you earlier in a long post,.scroll back in the thread if you need to refresh your memory.
Otherwise no comments.

/PederšŸ™‚

ChrisJH,

Keep in mind these network tweaks (cables, switch etc) wonā€™t change the fundamental sound of the gear, just ENHANCE it. I think thatā€™s something that might be missing on this thread. No ethernet cable or switch will make a Denon A/V receiver into a Supernait. But it may make both sound just a bit clearer and truer to their nature.

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:I replied to you on this in my last Post.!!

Againā€¦
ā€œThis I have also responded to you earlier in a long post,.scroll back in the thread if you need to refresh your memory.ā€

:small_orange_diamond:You might be reading my posts more carefully.
I said ā€œgoodbyeā€ to answering some more posts from another member.
A member who,.according to you is knowledgeable,but who in this thread just proved the opposite.

ā€¢ Now I end this dialogue with you,.it adds me nothing,and I definitely have other things to do.

Ps: If you find my long post to you about installation,.then I finished that post with,that you would draw conclusions from it.
You do not seem to have done that.

/PederšŸ™‚

Exactly what I found out when testing 5 different ethernet cables. Same ā€œsoundā€ but possible to hear difference in more low and high frequencies and clearer/cleaner and less clear/clean. The basic sound was the same.

2 Likes