Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Thanks for clarifying that! It’s probably saved me a good few hours of head scratching :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe te new Melco switch is also available for demo now. More expensive though: £2k

I hear you! This stuff isn’t going anywhere so there’s always time.

I will hear it when my Dealer gets it in - I’ve already asked for a demo.

But doing all these other things with the cheaper good quality switches ahead of that means I will have an idea of the things that are possible already without it - a reference position.

Otherwise if I’d just heard what I already have now presented as an upgrade for £2k over my 2940 switch alone I had been using, not exactly a low-spec switch itself, I may have purchased it and been happy.

So it would have to wipe the floor with the sort of things I’m already realizing and finding possible.

I also find the Cisco switches like to be treated as HiFi items on their own shelves. That actually makes a lot of difference. I have the Cisco box sitting on 3x hard plastic feet on a small Acrylic shelf, itself atop a small Slate shelf by three steel points - and that lastly (by another three steel points - just M6 nuts) onto a home-built welded HiFi steel triangular table I’ve had for years. All cobbled-together quickly trying different things until it all sang and I just started playing music and will tidy it up later.

DB.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Aren,…Hi,.how did it go,did you hear any difference or was it like before.?

/Peder🙂

I have an extra older blue 2960 8TC L so for the heck of it I hooked it up b/w my router and new white 2960. Both switches are unconfigured. It does seem to sound better, lower noise floor. I’m going to do some a/b testing later today to make sure. Why does this sound better?

1 Like

I dint think it will make any or much difference

You can, the PD switches can be powered by a dedicated 48 VDC power supply. Cisco make them amongst others for this purpose. It’s what have done here

See my other post you can power a PD switch by PoE or via its 48 volt DC connector. I have done exactly that here before.

Yes, of course, I know that. I was just saying that getting anything SMPS out of the way, esp if it has to be plugged in with the analog gear, might be a good thing, esp IF one already has a PS switch such as myself. Probably not worth it otherwise compared to the cost of the 48v adaptor.

I did order this morning 20ft of BJC Cat6 to replace the 50ft of Amazon cable that’s currently powering the PD. Also threw in 3 ft of Cat6a so as to compare to the BJC Cat6 currently on the final leg to the UQ. Will report back (probably be here on Tuesday unless they send it out today).

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@Simon-in-Suffolk,…Okay,.but the most important thing for us soundquality-maniacs :wink:.

1. Have You Compared,.which of these two,by PoE or via its 48 volt DC connector,.which may have better soundquality.?

2. As well,.what is the difference between a PD2960 in design/construction against a “regular” Cisco,which makes it have a 48V powersupply against a 12V.?

I ask because I talked to my friend,.who is a designer and expert on powersupply’s,for the first time yesterday in six months.
It is he who has constructed this powersupply-prototype (see image) to his Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L which I showed image of earlier as well.

He constantly tests and develops,.now he has made his tenth version of an external powersupply to his Cisco.
And he says it’s twice as good as his third version,.

So with that in mind,.there must of course be a difference between,power a PD-switch by PoE or via its 48 volt DC connector.
I therefore ask this question above.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Thanks Simon. Nice to know I can experiment away when I get back home

Totally and utterly agree…16bit…well recorded and produced is incredible…

I had a good look at my cisco 3750 in built psu…there are allot of chokes and components …I am sure the quality of these psu’s make a difference…

Hi Peder, after extended listening I can say that I do sense a better musical flow and balance, thanks so much for the suggestion!

1 Like

Okay, thankfully the a second catalyst connected unconfigured doesn’t improve SQ for me. It actually raised the sound floor a bit. The older blue 2960 are a little loud I think.

1 Like

Can you precise of what you are talking Aren ?

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…Aren listened to the right direction on his Oyaide Ethernet-cable.
He had it earlier in the opposite direction to what we came up with,.sounded best.

The difference is not big,.but just as Aren writes,we also thought that the musical flow and balance was better in the other direction.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

Try Aqvox SE … there is a returns policy…they take about 2 weeks to run in…