Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

If I understand, you don’t believe in burn in effect ?

My questions were nothing to do with belief, but are fundamental to whatever people claim to hear changing over time.

3 Likes

Umm…maybe we should all just accept that the ‘quality’ of the sound we hear from our stereos at any point in time and from one day to the next can only ever be assessed subjectively. End of….

We just hear, nothing more. There is nothing to test , verify, or question with a fundamental question. Just listen, relax and experience what we hear.

Or maybe we can just trust our ears, relax, and stop thinking and questioning indefinitely.

2 Likes

So, it took 3710 comments to work it out…

1 Like

If only…

I’m at about 3 days now and it’s improved and doesn’t sound bad but it’s not sounding better than the previous switch I think. I’ll do more listening this weekend.

Hi Marko
Unless you take the switch off the other switch, which is vibrating underneath it, you’re not going to give it a chance to perform properly.
Cheers
Jim

1 Like

As we don’t hear the same all the time, and as memory of sound is not precise, the questions are very relevant when people claim the sound of a system changes without changing any part of the system, and attribute that to a change in a component…

Precisely. However, some people like to try and compare the sound today with yesterday or tomorrow and ascribe meaning to any differences they hear or think they hear. And it is to those people that the questions I asked are appropriate.

3 Likes

I removed it right after that pic. It is sounding better so I’ll wait until the weekend to decide.

1 Like

I’m back on the Vodka now - miles better than a BJC full loom. Now we have life back in the sound, real vigour, instead of this laid back back Lexus driving mediocrity. Phew! :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Pesonnaly, for each new cable I had bought, I listened to it after an hour then left it burning 2 or 3 continuous days then listen again.
I have always heard big differences between the first day and after a few days. As many many here. It’s nothing common with mood, default memory possibility, or continuous subjective comparing.

2 Likes

So why did you found the contrary some days ago?

2 Likes

Cognitive Dissonance had set in - I blame the certificates.

2 Likes

Stephen - it appears that whenever you detect a difference in sound (which can happen on a day-to-day basis with most systems), you interpret that change as a miraculous improvement. Next time (perhaps in a few weeks) you are unhappy with the sound of your system and you re-instate the BJC cables in your system in place of the Vodka, I would hazard a guess that the BJCs will be a revelation and the Vodkas are a horrendous waste of money.

That is of course unless you are very cleverly winding us up with your cable trials and tribulations.

If you are not winding us up, then my advice is to stick with what you have in your system (BJC or Audioquest Vodka - it doesn’t really matter), chill out with some music (which after all is really all that matters) and stop trying to attain the impossible Holy Grail of ethernet cable sound.

You have a nice system. Just enjoy it for a while.

2 Likes

I not winding anyone up, just merely expressing my journey as the same as everyone else here. I’m no different to any one else, you don’t have to take my word for anything, just as I don’t theres, only with a pinch of salt. The reason I have at this time preferred the Vodka back in is because I have had the full BJC 6a in for a few weeks now and become accustomed to their sound. I thought, well let’s put the Vodka back and hear what happens?. At first I thought it sounded a bit rough, if I’m honest, tinny by comparison as time went on, but now I’ve now realised how much music I was missing. My system now sounds much better with the Vodka in from switch to streamer. My findings are pretty much matching Dark Bear’s evaluation. Listen, these things take time and we can be tossed around like a stir fry but in the end things find themselves through. This is what has happened so far in my experience. In a minute I will have some condescending comment telling me that it’s all in my head. Now that is not nice and IS a wind up.

1 Like

More swing the famous swingometer Stephen.

:small_blue_diamond:@Stephen_Tate,…I love reading about your journey,.and you’re brave who honestly dares to write about your different experiences between AQ Vodka and BJC.

You shall have a lot of credit for that…Thanks :+1:t2:.

/Peder🙂

3 Likes

Hi Peder,
Thanks for your comments.
My Neat Motive SX2 speakers come alive when I install the Vodka, with a full BJC loom they sound ‘bloated’. Maybe if I had un-natural forward sounding, shouty, not right unless perfectly installed speakers, that a lot of folks don’t REALLY like, let’ts be honest here, then maybe the BJCs will sound better, as they will need sedating. My Motives take it all in their stride and they much prefer the Vodka, now they can breath and I can hear every single nuance in all it’s glory without feeling fatigued. This has been my goal from the start, not an easy one at, as most things to me just sound too bright and way Over The Top.

It’s not just about the feet tapping or the trousers waving and if not even dressed? the boxers flapping also, that’s the goal.

1 Like