Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I credit the marketing dept of these expensive boutique cables, they really have a way of working some folks over.

1 Like

The BJCs are good overall work horse network cables but for high quality audio streaming theyā€™re simply not exciting enough in my view. They just fall short, otherwise you might as well forget digital playback altogether and either choose vinyl or stick with CD, till things pick upā€¦

1 Like

I have a 10 meter BJC Cat 6a now going into my smart TV direct from my router - this is where I call it a good cable.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@ElMarko,ā€¦You keep on,and showing disrespect by saying boutique-cables,.so then I comment in exactly the same way.

:small_orange_diamond:Iā€™ll have to say exactly the same,.about these expensiveā€¦
ā€¢ Boutique-dacā€™s andā€¦
ā€¢ Boutique-streamerā€™s.
ā€œI credit the marketing dept of these expensive boutique-dacā€™s and boutique-streamerā€™s.
They really have a way of working some folks over.ā€

:black_small_square:I would appreciate if you showed respect,.and called these cables for what they areā€¦streaming cables.
Because I hope,.that your purpose is not,to create irritation in the thread.

Then I also think,.that most people have the ability to judge themselves what they prefer for cables,this regardless of ā€œmarketing deptā€.
So I hope we can avoid statements like this,.in this thread.
Theyā€™re pretty provocative.

Otherwise,.Iā€™ll have to wish you a nice evening :smiley:.

/PederšŸ™‚

In the spirit of Stephenā€¦

Iā€™ve been running my BJC CAT6 cable as an edge part of my home network (and itā€™s worked flawlessly, as its certificate testified), so at the beginning of this week I inserted it between my blue Cisco edge router (that has my NAS attached to it) and the CAT6 multi-metre cable that connects up to my other (white) Cisco and from there to my NDX transport via the infamous Chord Music.

Generally speaking I heard little or no difference between it and a generic patch cable thatā€™d been running before. There was a nagging something, however. The top end was subtly highlighted, and not in a good way. So I used the following piece of music to listen more closelyā€¦itā€™s an aria composed by Barbara Strozzi, where the singer pushes the boundaries more than a little (I used the first 3 minutes or so):

With the BJC in place as above, the vocals became piercing and unmusical. Swapping the generic cable back restored balance and musicality.

Knowing that I had the right (for me) sound entering the network, I swapped the Chord Music for the BJC, quite prepared to eat my words - Iā€™ll confess to being a little nervous. I fully acknowledge that this was an wildly unscientific listen, but the difference was night and day - the BJC presented the aria capably, and if I hadnā€™t heard better Iā€™d be happy as Larry (though swallowing a heap of humble pie) - but the Chord presented things as a 3D, rich, musical, textured, deeply imaged and balanced piece.

The BJC is back doing honourable (and certified) service connecting my Hive box.

2 Likes

I put my BJC honorable cat 6a for my tv. I does his job very well, as indicated by all his certificates.
But for sound quality, it lacks the textures, body, colors of instruments and voices I have with the vodka on the leg between the router and the Cisco. Vs the Diamond on the streamer and Melco legs, I will even not describe the differences, like between 2D and 3D.

1 Like

Whoa! Iā€™m sorely tempted to go to my dealer and try the Music, I reckon I could wangle it if I pushed - obviously I donā€™t own anywhere near the calibre of HiFi that will do the Music cable justice, but even so, i really do wonder what would come of itā€¦ :grimacing:

Well; for now I am using BJC Cat 6a everywhere apart from my Cisco 2960 (Blue) switch to streamer where the AQ Vodka takes the reins and VERY nice it is too. In the context of my system - ND5 XS 2 - Hi-line - NAIT XS 2 amplifier - NAC A5 (terminated properly) - Neat Motive SX2 speakers - i am very highly recommending this system to everyone from me here.

Stephen stop. Stop. Music is insanely expensive by any standards. Iā€™m in a position where black box upgrades arenā€™t feasible (itā€™d be three towering monoliths, which are a Lottery win beyond reach),

Be happy with your cabling and a save for hardware upgrades if you must.

1 Like

Thanks Nick. Very sound advice indeed.

1 Like

Iā€™m using the term in the correct way, if you find it derogatory then thatā€™s a reflection on your beliefs, not mine. You have a nice evening as well. The users of boutique cables should be happy theyā€™re able to find a cable that satisfies their needs. I know Iā€™m happy to find a superior sounding cable for a reasonable price.

4 Likes

Just got my Cisco in and it sounds good.

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@ElMarko,ā€¦We had a major conflict regarding this expressionā€¦ā€œBoutique-cablesā€,.a number of days ago in this thread.

As OP for this thread,.I try to keep it clean from expressions that can irritate others.
There were several who reacted to this expression.

:black_small_square:Itā€™s very sad,.that you canā€™t show respect for a simple desire,to avoid irritation in the thread.
But itā€™s just to realize,.that weā€™re all different.

/Pederā˜¹

In my experience, there is nearly always a burn-in effect, but if the change doesnā€™t grab you from the get-go, burn-in will not get the item over the line.

2 Likes

Whatever anyone says, there is a chance of someone else being irritated, unless there is censorship of contrary views, which I hope is not intendedā€¦

Can I put to you you the questions FR didnā€™t like being asked:
How does anyone compare the sound one day, with the sound another day?
And if you have some objective measure, how do you know it is not your ears changing? (We do not hear exactly the same all the time.)

1 Like

I donā€™t know to what conflict you refer as I did not participate in the attempt to change the common meaning of a word. Youā€™re taking this stuff way too seriously. If you need to spend thousands of dollars on a cable to be satisfied with your kit thatā€™s your business but you canā€™t expect everyone to have the same needs or experience.

This has been my experience with the switches. You get an immediate improvement when hooked up and continues for a certain period after.

1 Like

Iā€™ll answer, I have playlists that I listen to regularly, Tidal and QNAP. Iā€™ve listened to the tracks in these lists numerous times and know what they should sound like, to my personal tastes of course. When I disconnected my qnap and streamer from the router and connected to my first blue Cicso I noticed an immediate improvement in SQ. And the SQ continued to improve for a few days after. It was as obvious as the daylight outside. When I upgraded my Cisco to the newer white version of Catalyst I noticed an immediate improvement not as significant as the first switch but obvious enough and it continued to improve for a few days after. Now Iā€™m on a newer white PD Catalyst and the improvement was not as obvious from the previous switch. Much more subtle but it continues to get better. So Iā€™m not sure yet how this one will work out. I plan to do more listening this weekend to see. The improvement may not be enough to bother with. Weā€™ll see.

I have observed the PD unit runs much cooler and more quiet though.

:small_blue_diamond:@ElMarko,ā€¦Should it have to be a five,.six,seven post,.just because you put forward a simple wish.?
One post from the OP should be enough.

Iā€™m not going to discuss this any more,.Iā€™ve made this wish,then itā€™s up to you to respect it or not.
Case closed.!

:small_blue_diamond:@ElMarko,ā€¦What are you after,.are you looking for a conflict.?

Iā€™ve NEVER said,.or CLAIMED,any of what youā€™re suggesting above,so take now and calm downā€¦Thanks.

ā€¢ Each of us determines at what level we want to be,.but information and experience of products from all levels should of course be in the thread. If you have a problem with it,.you maybe should not read in the thread.

:small_blue_diamond:@TiberioMagadino,ā€¦I have said,.Case closed.

Concludes with a small picture of what I and a friend are doing right now.
This rebuilt LPS on the left,.will be tested to a Cisco tomorrow in Cableoholicā€™s system.

/PederšŸ™‚

Peder, I donā€™t know what youā€™re on about now. Agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Youā€™re an endless source of joy! Your posts always make me smile and laugh at myself for being almost as crazy with this bs as you :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes