Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Writing and reading is different from buying and testing. Personally I am always upgrading something once per 6 months, so twice per year.
I must be a bit ill I guess. But I like my disease!

2 Likes

Howdy,
Perhaps, but the mentality is akin to the nuclear arms race. Equipment manufacturers are rubbing their hands with greed at such folly. At some point, we need to recognize Ā«good enough Ā» and retire from the rat race. The whole point of our toys and accessories is to listen to and enjoy music. Or is it?
In French we say Ā« better is the enemy of good Ā». Anyway, we are all free to do whatever we wantā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps you should not read this forum. Itā€™s not a good place to enjoy his system without thinking of a possibility of upgrade.

1 Like

I try to keep some distance from the mania so I doubt Iā€™m in their target market, all the best to their endeavors though. Iā€™m very much enjoying the music now. :smiley:

1 Like

Perhaps you are right. Thanks for the hearty welcome anyway.

1 Like

Hi David,
I still do recommend and highly rate the BJC 6a.

1 Like

@anon64018693 is quite right. Think of all us poor souls who have bought Vodkas and blue 2960 Ciscos on a wave of group enthusiasm, only to be totally let down by that very same group (well some of 'em), who we grew to trust, hailing the new Emperors.

So we now have to sell our Vodkas and get these new-fangled BJC thingies and swap out our blue Ciscos for not one, but two white ones. one of which must have an external power supply. Some have already done so!

And then what happens. A bloke called Stephen now says Vodkas are once again the hottest show in town. What about the poor bloke from darn sarf who sold his Vodkas and got some new Jeans! Is he supposed to try and get his Vodkas back again!?!

Come on chaps. make your minds up and stick with a recommendation. It is driving the rest of us mad!

Do I sell my Vodkas and blue 2960, or what?!?!

Edit - OMG, that Stephen has just come on here and is recommending Jeans again! I give up!

6 Likes

My upgrades since 20 years:

• rega brio with rega Apollo and rega p3.
  • rega mira , rega saturn, rega p25.
  • Naim nac 112/ 150, Naim cd5x. Rega p9. Stageline/ flatcap then hicap.
  • Naim nac 202/ 200, hicap, hicap with cd5x, .
  • Naim nac 282/ 250. Tom Evans microgroove, SME 20/ SME V. Audiomeca cd player.
  • cdx2/ xps2. Koetsu black, then VDH, then Lyra Delos, then Kiseki blue ns cartridges.
  • nap 300dr. Naim nds/ 555dr. Unitserve. Ear 912 pre. Then Uptone JS2 for unitserve and hdplex for switches.
    _ nap 250 dr. Melco n1h2. Rega rp10.
  • netgear switch then Cisco 2960. Different Ethernet cables upgrades.
  • kharma matrix powercords. Chord signature tuned array interconnects.
    _ kharma GR for nap 250 dr.
  • Lovan rack then Naim Fraimlite.
    _ finite elemente cerabases and cerapucks.
    _ Eros titan powerblock.
    _ 3 different speakers in 20 years.

Iā€™m still using Vodka. I was just merely recommending BJC 6a as well. Unless folks are committed to empty their wallets on more expensive cables then the BJCs are a safe bet and a very good recommendation.

Only teasing, Stephen.

Glad you are still on here as ā€˜Iā€™m A Celebrityā€¦.ā€™ and the Snooker are finishing tomorrowā€¦

3 Likes

Ouiā€¦mais nonā€¦mais ouiā€¦

2 Likes

If one wants to sit and listen to music and then eventually become bored then the BJC Cat 6a is for you.

If one wants to party all night long and then be told off by others that enough is enough and please could you give us all a break then the Vodka is for you.

Vodka Ethernet is like cocaine: it will reveal more possibilities.
BJ is like Valium: everything is nice, but a bit insipid or tasteless.

I thought that was the whole point of this threadā€¦,

4 Likes

Canā€™t stand emojis, so I hope no one is taking my above posts too seriouslyā€¦ā€¦.

Didnā€™t know Vicky Pollard could sing in Frenchā€¦.!

(FR, Google Vicky Pollard for a bit of English humour)

1 Like

Perhaps Gita is a bit nicer? Peut-ĆŖtre bien que oui, peut-ĆŖtre bien que non. :laughing::+1:

1 Like

No.
The equipment manufacturer Cisco doesnā€™t give a monkeys :monkey: whether we buy their second hand switches.

2 Likes

These analogies really arenā€™t particularly helpful and are of course entirely subjective. I found that the BJC are more natural than the Vodkas and certainly no less engaging, and the system is sounding better than it ever has.

Iā€™m very much with @anon64018693 here - Iā€™ve found some of the Forum recommendations really useful - the original Cisco 2960 and now the BJC, neither of which I would have discovered for myself. But once installed and found to work well Iā€™m happy just to forget about them. The network gubbins lives under the sideboard in the dining room out of sight and out of mind.

After so many years of Naim ownership Iā€™m confident in my decisions and in deciding what is actually better and what is simply different. Changing wires as often as oneā€™s underpants just leads to confusion and constant dissatisfaction.

4 Likes