Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I don’t think any cable has made me become bored with the music I am listening to and none so far have had a dramatic change as you describe. There are differences but they are always pretty subtle. If on these higher end streamers they are having such a dramatic effect I am happy to have my apparently less resolving Atom and not worry about things and just listen to my music.

3 Likes

Just twice a year? :wink::wink:

1 Like

I have reported this post to the Standing Sub Committee on Skimpy Outfits in Videos.

2 Likes

In my system it is not subtle, even my partner can hear the differences very clearly. The music either engages or it doesn’t, this is not subtle in my view.

So glad I have kept the Vodka and not sold it. It knocks my BJC 6a from switch to ND5 XS 2 into a cocked hat.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. Compared to black boxes, system supports or speaker wires the changes are subtle. I suspect a lot of perceived changes are caused by expectations. Any claims of night and day differences are rubbish in my view.

3 Likes

Funny, I have always found that it’s the littlest of things that make the biggest impact.

1 Like

Well, Stephen, it’s in.
BJC Cat 5e with RJ11s from BT wall socket to crappy PlusNet router, 3.25M.
Yes, it clearly makes the system sound another incremental notch better.

The Door by Mathias Eich sounded even clearer and cleaner than before the swop.
Ditto Pigeon House Blues by Taubenhaus.
Noticeably better separation of instruments, but also more clarity and extension at the bass and treble ends of the spectrum. :wave:

As you can see from this fascinating photo of an elephants arse, it’s a Belden Bonded Pair.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback here Jim, much appreciated. Just out of interest if I may, is your router a PlusNet Hub One?

Looks like I’m going to have to order one, help squeeze that little bit more through my Vodka.

No idea.
It looks like this.

1 Like

Yup, same as mine. Cheers Jim! :+1:

Next time my isp contract renews I’m going to shift to the isp that at that time has the best quality router for transferring Tidal files - which will presumably be BT or Sky…

Because my router now is the weakest link in my home Ethernet chain.

Overall, the six small but distinct audible SQ improvements I’ve got from the following changes have all been cumulative, they have built on and perhaps helped to improve one another.

This has had the combined effect of making a big overall uplift in SQ of the whole ensemble.

BJC Cat 5e from wall to router
BJC 6a 3M to white Cisco 2960 C series
BJC 6a 0.75M to blue Cisco 2960 PD
BJC 1.25M to 272

So it’s a Tale of 2 Switches and 4 Cables (and 3800 posts)

:smiley:

1 Like

Oh dear, I have two switches here but haven’t tried them together yet. Both have onboard PSU though. I also have a spare BJC 6a, oh dear. what do you reckon? :grimacing:

Would be a good test of the 2 switch theory.

Yes, more empirical info is always of interest.

Ok, I’m going in!
I shall report back. We are all nuts! :cowboy_hat_face:

Hello @anon64018693

In USA we say “Perfect is the enemy of good enough” :smile:

https://images.app.goo.gl/bN8jvU9kqhrPwSo49

All this talk of swapping isp’s for a better router … why not just put the isp router/modem into modem mode and get a router that you like?

Good Morning NigelB–Love your post:

And we have not even got to the next round, which is the EtherREGEN switch comparisons/combinations.

1 Like

How does that work, Ray?

Is there a setting I can change that makes my router into just a modem?

And then all the routing is done by a different box I can buy?

If so, how do I change the settings?

On my isp’s website?

Also, do you know of anyone who has used a bought router this way, and had good SQ results?

Thanks
Jim

Not sure about your current router but on many you can go into the router config and set it to modem mode. This basically take away all the router functions and just provides a connection to your isp. You then get your own router and connect it to the isp supplied unit then plug all your stuff into the router you have supplied.
I did it with my virginmedia one and it works quite well.

1 Like