Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I don’t understand explain, so could the internal power supply be normal for the POE? It feels a lot but very close (up to 1 meter). However the gb is totally muted, even with the ear resting on it.

You are lucky - my wife could care less and is always “it sounds good enough already!” But she is amazing in other ways and our hobby can be pretty ridiculous.

I think that you’ve discovered how more and more of us find that it ALL matters, even cabling, power etc all the way back to the modem. You may want to try something like optical fiber though, esp through the Sonore opticalModules (or SFP capable switch to opticalModule). A lot more change than a cable, esp if the last opticaModule is power by a good supply. Like a proverbial black box upgrade imo.

1 Like

Any info on this? Mine is the 8-port version below:

Otherwise the device seems to work fine, so it is just a slightly noisy supply and I either need to return or fit a new supply. If obtaining a new supply is straightforward I’ll consider that before returning it.

DB.

Funny thing is that I am also now looking into the switch topic. But right now I don’t have one, I only have a router…

Hi Db.
I have a 2960 I would happily lend to you for no fee, that I don’t use.
It is one of the ones with an external power supply (it was an experiment I made with an expensive lps that made no difference)

Unfortunately no. Simply have to use WiFi. I run the NAS straight into WiFi router. No other way I can think of.

Thanks for the kind offer - I may consider ahead, but at present I’m deciding on what to do with this one that arrived today. It works well, just the small physical noise issue.

As a system electronics component - it is making quite an improvement in terms of clarity top to bottom and revealing a lot more texture and musical detail.

Given all I have done is use one input port (1) connecting to my existing 2940 that then goes off to the house Router - and the only other port (7) connecting to the Melco which it its turn connects onward to the ND555 - this is very intriguing, but it is doing something positive.

Glad I’m trying this! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

1 Like

Yes a PoE switch has usually a larger powersupply and sometimes with heat sinks extruding from the rear.

If you are thinking about a PoE powered switch, I believe there is only one model, and it needs to be powered by its uplink port.

However there are still SMPSUs in PoE powered switches, irrespective, these are DC to DC converters… so a DC to DC converter if on its way out may be making a rasping noise,

Surely this is what listeners with expensive cables are already doing. It seems to me that those who do not use uber expensive cables are the ones doing all the whining to those who do…

3 Likes

Ok that is a mains powered 8 PoE port switch… sourcing up to 124 W.
The acoustic spec says it should be quiet… it’s probably easier to get it replaced… looking on line in the usual places I didn’t see any 2960 C replacement power supplies

If I’m understanding you correctly your streamer is connected to your router? If that’s the case adding a switch, ideally a cisco catalyst 8 port variety, should be your next move. It’s an inexpensive slam dunk upgrade. Instant noise floor lowering.

1 Like

https://www.cavel.it › imagesPDF
catalogo cavi LAN ITA dotmatrix TR.indd - Cavel

Thanks for info.

The 2960 switch as it is now is is a surprising (to me) improvement over the 2940 I have, which sounds ‘nice’ and warm by comparison.
But the 2960 has a lot more insight into the performance and the clarity is obviously better - a lot more than I expected.

This is not a matter of ‘trying to hear differences’ stuff - it is in your face there and more than I was anticipating, given that it is not directly mediating the music data transfer between Melco and ND555, but just connecting the Melco to the house network and otherwise should not be doing a lot.

The particular decision about my particular switch nose I will make ahead - I think it will annoy me and I will seek a replacement.

DB.

1 Like

Yes I don’t have it in place, wasn’t aware about the need and the function of the switch. Might consider going immediately for the Ansuz option.

Please let us know if you spot anything relevant about that comparison.
thanks
Jim

2 Likes

Yes, but what I’m saying is that the qualification doesn’t mean much as far as audio goes. It’s not like you’re going to burn your house down with a patch cable that doesn’t come with a test certificate. Plenty of people out there making their own DIY ethernet cables that work just fine. I realize you’re in the IT biz so that does mean a lot to you, and I appreciate that. But that doesn’t/shouldn’t discount/disqualify what others are offering or using for cables. I would go by the sound solely. For data intensive solutions yes, I understand why certification is necessary, but that’s not what we’re talking about when getting, say a Miles Davis tune from a HD or modem to a streamer. People spend/waste their money in all different kinds of ways - what’s it to you/us if they spend it on an ethernet cable?

1 Like

Ok, I understand. Could you perhaps put a linear power supply on the router? Might make a difference, might not.

This is the my old POE

I do have to reflect on a sentiment I have around this whole topic, an annoyance.
Originally I had the illusion even till recently that the change from cd playing to streaming had the same parameters. You just like with cd playing can think about buying a better quality player, you could think about your power supply and with good connections to your pre-amp you would be in business.

However I realized the total hobby has become immensely complex, while it was already so complex with variants like electric cables, electricity plug, fuses…

Now you have to care about so much more:

• how do you rip your music
  • high res versus red book
  • normal NAS or advanced NAS
    …but now again got into another area again.

I was naive and thought my Melco would take care of the disturbance of the network…and that I just needed a good quality network cable…, which I have…

But now I have ended into a complete other can of worms. Network cables up to 5K euros, switches, power supplies agai on switches, positioning of a switch on the rack…
…and it starts to become quite challenging to understand what combination of components will work best in the overall setup and budget you like to spend… and at the end I just want to listen to the music as good as I can…

Perhaps I should just do that and stop hunting for the dream of always getting better sound and burning a lot of money on the way by experimenting…

4 Likes

Mines perfectly silent.

1 Like