Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

@Stephen_Tate, forgive me but I am still new to this 2 switch scenario.

I take it you are using one of the 2960s (non PD?) to power the other 2960 (PD?) via a standard Ethernet cable, one end in the PoE port on the 2960 PD, the other in a regular port of the non PD 2960? If that is correct, I assume you can unplug the SMPS power lead.

Does this connection carry both power and the digital signal?

Please excuse the numpty questions.

Hi Nigel,
I am using PD as second switch. Not tried anything else in configuration since new switch introduced.

I have everything plugged in (mains wise) into a standard generic mains block.

I too am using the PD as the second switch.

So are you saying you have used the PoE port on the 2960 PD to connect to the 2960 non PD?

I think you need some BJC Cat 6a cables…running for cover buddy…!
Use Vodka to streamer in the last leg. Personally, I think the Cinnamons are a dead duck…

No, I did do to start with. I have router to GB on switch 1 and everything else on normal from then on.

Stephen, as you said above, you were using Poe port. But still 2 power cords on mains? So why Poe? I understand the @NigelB question

Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Hi guys,

Hope you can help as you guys seem the authority on all things Cisco!

Looking to pick a 2960 switch up from the bay but not sure which one is best…

• 2960 PD (blue one)
  • 2960 G (blue one)
  • 2960 CG (white one)

Is there a preferred version I should be aiming for?

I’m now confused. I am using just normal Ports. Nothing fancy.

1 Like

Maybe a wider question then.

Can a 2960 non PD be used to power a 2960PD (or vice versa), and if so how should they be connected? Is this PoE?

In this scenario does the cable connecting the two 2960s carry both signal and power and does this arrangement make the SMPS redundant on the 2960PD. And finally is this arrangement preferable from a SQ (noise reduction) point of view?

Welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

I got a white one from that method. At that time the wisdom that non-PoE were better so that is what I got Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L.

Now people have played with more options so gather more opinions.

Mine works well - it also works very well together with the older (and very cheap) blue box 2940 switch if you want a cheap ‘two-switch’ thing to try.

It is nice to have the Optical module option on the 2960 for later testing - not used it yet but a nice option to have.

DB.

1 Like

The overall clarity of the analogue part of the system - yes including speakers, but also other factors such as the room - though not so much the character, is indeed likely to affect someone’s ability to hear differences arising from upstream effects in the source, such as the effect of RF or other electrical noise reaching the DAC, which may be the cause of the differences described in this thread,

Fantastic music to be heard guys. Enjoy! :sunglasses: :+1:

Thanks Bear, that was the one I initially picked out too. The PD version has been mentioned a lot on this thread recently so thought I’d double check before ordering. Thanks again.

Since many years the 2960 8tcl was the main reference here. The PD model appears a month ago , and some members reported as being better.
I am waiting now the PD model, to use in cascade mode.

1 Like

Some on here are preferring the 2960PD version beliving it to be quieter for audio applications, as it has an external SMPS power supply rather than the internal mains power supply.

I use both versions in a chain so I have no direct comparison.

1 Like

I suspect it’s not worth experimenting for another day or two until the unused 7 year old caps warm up and get into their stride.

1 Like

After running continuously for 18 hours or so, I could only detect a slight improvement, certainly not the leap in SQ I was looking for having gone backwards when the second 2960 (PD) was installed.

I therefore went ahead and put the Vodka between the two switches, in place of Cinnamon. This gave an immediate and significant uplift in SQ and continued to show a more gradual improvement, which I assume is from things settling in.

For me the same type of pd switch only fully got going after about 3 days iirc.

I imagine that when Stephen plugged his ethernet cable into the PoE port it was only acting as a normal audio data signal port, not also giving power.

It cannot be powered by the standard non-PoE Ciscos we previously had AFAIK.

:small_blue_diamond:@anon5056134,…I got a double-effect,.using an external powersupply (LPS,see picture below).
And then picked out the internal SMPS in my Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L.

• Then I got two advantages.

An external powersupply,.as in 2960PD.
And also an LPS,.instead of the internal SMPS.

And,.how then became the soundquality.?Well,.greatly improved :+1:t2:.

/Peder🙂

1 Like