Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Hey thanks Mike - very useful rationale.

I’m struggling with the concept of owning music again, having moved on fully to streaming.

The only reason I’m even tempted is SQ - and in a minor way those pieces of music I want to hear that aren’t on the services - although most of that’s on youtube, which I can play through my hifi at lower quality.

And there’s already an infinity of music available.

I think if I was starting again without a big music collection, I would quite possibly go internet steaming only

I presume you will be basing your conclusions purely on the Tune-Dem means of comparing, deciding whether that cable is best depending on whether it carries the tune better than others? Will you be conducting the tests blind?

Yup - that’s the best way I think for me now.

I still have my CDs and cassettes, my records are nearly sold off to amass a small hifi fund, my first large record collection was stolen when I was at uni in 1988, so I’m heading for a virtualized freebird existence of streaming only…

The trouble is, for many of us, the connection to t’internet is just too unreliable to allow consistent listening to externally streamed music on an ongoing basis. You may get a continuous connection for hours on one day but the next your listening experience is punctuated by numerous, intermittent drop outs, and that is an absolute PITA.

3 Likes

I was watching the Saint serial maybe 30 years ago. Don’t remember Tiberio. Made some research but quickly. Richard Waygrave something like that was playing Tiberio. But I am more into modern movies…

Indeed, such an approach does require a robust internet system. We are fortunate to have high speed fibre, but without it, an internet streaming only approach would likely be a disaster.

Indeed. We recently got fibre up to our local cabinet but still have copper for that last half mile, and it is that last bit which doesn’t quite allow for an uninterrupted, or should I say, consistent connection. I guess it could also be that there are solid fibre connections and…err….less solid.

Let’s just say our internet networks have some way to go to make externally streamed music a realistic, sole proposition for a significant proportion of music-lovers in the UK.

2 Likes

Yup - thankfully I’ve got a very good connection here (although copper from the cabinet).

Also, a good clean leccy supply AFAIK.

Quite a lot of the people who lived where I do when these houses were built were involved in building and operating Heysham power station, and perhaps they somehow made sure the infrastructure was sound…?

1 Like

They did, but they really didn’t fly at all well.

Now that is one of the most sensible statements I have seen on this forum.

7 Likes

The problem is that some experts here declare without testing, saying only that it should or not should sound like this or that.
The others are just open mind and listen first.
Learning is experimenting, not masturbating with ideas.

2 Likes

That is what happens if you strap a jet engine to a fridge.

Bloody fast though!

2 Likes

I was not referring you Tiberio. You said having tested the vodka and other cables.
However, it’s another subject, but I really doubt you have tested them.
You don’t want also to say which DSM you have, so I suspect you to be a Chord dealer . Or perhaps paid by Chord.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@Darkebear ,…You tend to be up late,.and I’ve got your help before to translate.

So I ask again,.do you know what this means…WSAP.
The full text can be found below.
Others,.of course can also respond.

:black_small_square:Sometimes i feel like that it is a WASP old guys Club.

/Peder🙂

Definition
WSAP Weapon System(s) Acquisition Process
WSAP Water Savings Action Plan (Hawkesbury, New South Wales, Australia)
WSAP Welfare Set-Aside Program (Nevada)
WSAP Wyzsza Szkola Administracji Publicznej (Polish: University of Public Administration)
WSAP Washington State Association of Parliamentarians
WSAP Woodland Strategy Advisory Panel (UK)
WSAP Web Services Access Point
WSAP Weighted Sensitivity Analysis Program

Probably none of them

2 Likes

Can be White Anglo-Saxon Protestant…?

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@JimDog,…Thanks,.I put in the whole post,.so you’ll see it in a bigger context.
It was @emrei who wrote it earlier.

:black_small_square:@frenchrooster,.This is written to you and me.

"Sometimes i feel like that it is a WASP old guys Club
Not that i am young but not WASP, so no offence to old guys…

Gang up againts swedish and french friends…

Despite the push outside they are still here and active, I salute them and Find their jokes funny

Sometimes :)."

/Peder🙂

Why not post your system? You have never did it. Some asked you which Linn DSM you have, you have never responded.
You declared having heard some chord streaming cables, but the model you cited doesn’t exist.
But your are advertising Chord Dave/ Blue with a lot of insistence and many many times.
You don’t like tweaks, fancy cables, switches…but you are still in that thread after 5000 posts.
Very curious all that.

1 Like

Humm.
One can only hope it was an attempt at a joke…

Probably best to ignore it, Peder.

Have a great evening.
cheers
Jim

From a very sober and quietly happy month of January.

1 Like