Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I have also become disillusioned with high-end cables from those I have tried (and not just Ethernet cables, either). On the Ethernet front I was split between the BJC Cat6a and DC CatSnake Cat5e, eventually preferring the latter as more balanced and textured although less detailed, but I think these DC Cat6a take things up a level all round. In addition to the above, they also capture decay much better, but in general are so well-balanced that it’s easy to start taking them for granted and just listen to the music. But a quick swap back quickly puts things back into perspective.

Now that the EtherRegens are more or thoroughly burnt in, I will at some point re-evaluate the difference between 1 and 2. I also want to check back in on the difference between the Powerigel and Sean Jacobs Powerblack Block. I have a DC3-4 hybrid on order from him for the switches and router to finish things off. Unfortunately there is no way I could shoehorn in the full DC4 box.

Mike

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@Xanthe,…Hi,.I think I mentioned it before here on the forum :wink:.
There are actually some here,.who do not have English as their native language :wink::grin:.

Unfortunately,.understanding these abbreviations is impossible for us.
So,.what does “ASPD” mean.?

/Peder🤔

I take it the 6a cables you have are not the ones I could order straight off the designacable website that seem to come with metal shrouded plugs, though still Belden 1303E cable. Have you the spec to hand?

If you google it it come back as AntiSocial Personality Disorder. I think there’s a bit of irony involved.

2 Likes

Should we speak about ASSD : Anti Social Scientific Disorder = syndrome of claiming that others are wrong because my scientific theory says the contrary. “ No, you should not hear that because science says that”. “ so your perception is very probably a brain fooled one”

1 Like

ASPD = Anti Social Personality Disorder; more generally known as being a psychopath!

ASPD is the term used in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-V).

Yes it was irony (but I don’t think there’s an emoticon for irony :thinking:).

How about adding ASED: Anti Social Engineering Disorder = adding unnecessary engineering features to make a product appear more sophisticated.

Or how about adding ASMD: Anti Social Marketing Disorder = taking a product designed through ASED and selling it for a much inflated price as it superficially appears to be more sophisticated.

:wink: :rofl:

:small_blue_diamond:@Xanthe,…Okey,.and to ask you clearly…

:red_circle: Who do you direct this so-called ASPD-irony to…???

/Peder🤔

And ASESCD? : anti social ego scientifico centrico disorder.

1 Like

Don’t escalate. It might not be you.

Calling any theories formed from this thread “scientific” seems a bit foolish to me. Theories? Yes. Scientific? Not really. :smiley:

For once I agree. Pseudo scientific more.

1 Like

It wasn’t directed to (or at) anyone, it was more about the post I wrote and about people in general than any specifics.

I certainly didn’t intend to imply that anyone here had been showing signs of ASPD.

Hypotheses formed from this thread, yes entirely.
Hypotheses formed from combinations of well established scientific theory - now that’s a different matter.

Kinda like boutique science. :wink:

You might get a paper in a social science journal if you’re lucky.

So half agree…

Now that I’ve confirmed the POE works well using a 8PT --> 8TT I’m considering getting another 8PT as a back up and may even consider a third switch to separate the NAS from the streamer layer.

Can a 8PT send POE to another 8PT and send POE to the last 8TT in the sequence?

To illustrate: 8PT (plugged into the wall)–>8PT (POE/no PS)–>8TT(POE/no PS)

@Simon-in-Suffolk
Will this work?

No that won’t work… you will exceed the first PoE power budget even if PoE+. PoE is not really designed to be used like that either.
Don’t understand your point of separating the NAS from the streamer ‘layer’. They are all by definition in the same layer (layer 2 network) and common broadcast domain. UPnP requires all devices to be in the same layer/subnet, unless you are going to use advanced config with multicast routing and helpers.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@Xanthe,…Hi again,.I respect and accept your answer,but I still think we should be careful about using such formulations.

As I have said before,.we are from different countries, different cultures, different generations.
So it can easily be misunderstood and create irritation,which it now did a little bit.
But thank you for explaining what you meant.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face: