Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

@Peder - I think you missed the joke between @Pete_the_painter and @Mike_S - ‘certified’ means certifiably crazy in English slang, which can often be used between friends, and even towards oneself - i.e. “I’m certifiably crazy because I spent $xxx on fancy ethernet cables but I love the sound of them.”

Perhaps instead of ‘boutique’ we use ‘audiophile.’ But of course to some, on some forums, ‘audiophile’ is used as a pejorative. So @Peder, again, I respectfully suggest you lighten up with the outrage over semantics and just continue on with the cable discussions. Pete and Mike were having a ribbing with each other - it’s not alway about you, whether you are the OP or not.

Onwards: my next experiment is trying some $5 ea -10db attenuators on my opticalModule fiber bridge. A user reported better sound with his prosumer FMC’s by using them - apparently the SFP’s (or some at least) can be not so happy with the short lengths of fiber we’re suing for this purpose and attenuation helps. We’ll see, but it’s these little experiments that cost a couple of coffees that make this hobby the most fun for me.

1 Like

Nope, didn’t miss the joke and it was linked to another thread. My response was part of it, but thanks anyway. As for the boutique nonsense it should be certified. In Aus it’s actually a compliment.

3 Likes

I love the idea of suing the fibre, presumably for not performing as well in shorter lengths.
Do you think it’ll be able to afford to employ a barrister?

1 Like

I knew you got the joke - I’ve hung out around enough Aussies (including one infamous night of drinking with the Cosmic Psychos) to know it can be a compliment. Just trying to help out the overly sensitive Swede.

2 Likes

Well, you know us Yanks are a litigious bunch… :wink:

1 Like

But this is no different than CD, FM tuner, cassette, reel to reel, and as you not turntable …

These are all tweaks - I am confident that for a majority they make no real difference in terms of performance - albeit they might in their own subtle ways change the sound

3 Likes

Interesting. Perhaps this is a cultural difference - I have never considered the OP to have any particular freedom or privilege in any forum of which I have been a member.

3 Likes

Well I am with Mr B … the changes on my system were pretty fundamental … certainly equivalent to a box upgrade. I think there is no golden rule each ethernet chain will have its own particular short comings … for me the switch change was quite profound.

4 Likes

I actually feel that for the majority it would make a difference for the better implementing some of these simple ‘tweaks’ (2960 or equivalent switch and better cabling). It’s just that we are the minority that cares and has experimented.

1 Like

I’m not sure which camp you would put me in, but I care, and I have experimented. So far, no noticeable improvement in sound quality.

I think that the suggestion that those that think that there is little or no improvement have not tried any of these tweaks is misleading.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:It is appreciated :grin::+1:t2:,.but it was actually Nick.Lees,who is from the UK,.who first reacted strongly and wrote about this.

:black_small_square:But now I have more important things to tell you about,.I’m getting the first impressions of the new Chord switch :stuck_out_tongue:.
As well as a friend thinking about swapping his Top-Notch LP12 for this one in the photo.

• Only the disc-plate weighs 8kg,.more information on this comes in a new thread.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

A little off-topic, no?

1 Like

Must be tricky getting the record centred on the two metal loops… :grin:

4 Likes

Not at all. This thread is turning on itself like the technics platter.:full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Well, i’m so pleased that the person who started this thread has at last seen the light of reason.

Some threads do drift off topic and back again. Some just take an unexpected turn(table)

But let’s face it, anything that gets this thread past 6,000 replies and on its way towards 10,000 will have the OP squeeling with delight :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I fear Peder will not be delighted with this last affirmation. Oups! I feel another long response…

Optical Test: Cisco 2960 to ER switch
So I obtained a Cisco certified Optical Module for my 2960 and after initially getting no functionality I looked at the switch via console and saw it had disabled the Gig port I’d previously used with the other Optical module:

GigabitEthernet0/1 is down, line protocol is down (err-disabled)

I moved it to Gig port 2 and it lit and worked - plug and play! :slightly_smiling_face:

I then played some music and was initially quite pleased by a more open breathy sound presentation with plenty of attack and good timing - but it became very fatiguing.
Reflecting on what was bothering me I realized there was a ultra-HF brightness that previously I associated with HF oscillation and instability; I perceive this a pressure on my ears similar to when you make a quick descent in a plane - I find I’m swallowing to clear it…to the short version I revered back to Electrical and the problem disappeared.

I then reflected that perhaps the Optical connected ER switch needed to have its Earth tab used as it was no longer getting the same earth - made-up an earth lead and that solved the problem - all HF instability gone.

Listening tests:
Over extended listening tests I found the Optical had strengths and weaknesses in my system.

The strengths was an easy breathy clarity and precision across extreme LF to HF - an even-handedness I liked. But it was not drawing me into the performance like I had with the Electrical Ethernet connection between the switches - it seemed more pushed at me and had something missing.

Back to Electrical and it became clear that I was getting a lot more detail overall now, even if the Optical had done some things better.
The Electrical Ethernet portrays the whole fabric and textures in the music as it plays without disturbance - it is just there and you can listen into it - in fact it draws you into what is happening.

By comparison the Optical sounded superficial ‘on the surface’ with poor depth of detail. It did simple music well but more complex music with many things happening it drew you to the loudest instrument at any time and the rest became indistinct to not there.
Perhaps the GigE Optical module sub-system is noisier inside the ER switch. I associate the ‘breathing’ of detail to the music with interaction with non-linearity somewhere, but exactly how it is manifesting I’ve no clear idea.
Also this ‘breathing’ distortion is one thing I personally dislike and navigated toward Active system as that tends to not do that. It very well may not be at all apparent in another system to another person - perhaps.

I’m describing what it appears as on my system for me. The effect is ‘moderate’ but once you hear it you do not choose that as the way ahead.

…I’m still experimenting - I want the Optical to musically work as it will make for a tidier solution here - and this may be very specific to how it works with an ER switch - it may not be general.

…also the earthing line changes the sound and is another ‘better and worse’ thing - I had to eventually remove it when back to Electrical Ethernet use as it added a lumpy bass coloration that went with it gone.
More experimentation ahead here - I have some ideas to try to do that better.

Essentially never presume things are all the same if you are really interested in getting the best from what you have. The alternative is a £5 Ethernet cable vs £30 for Optical connection if you also include the modules each end. It is not a lot in context of my system.

I will continue to play - glad I got it working! :bear:

DB.

8 Likes

Well…it could be that your erhernet setup is pretty darn good … :smiley:

Great post DB … in my journey when I have had success I have found the music kind of relaxes and has more detail and inner rhythm… which sounds more natural and thus draws you in.

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s why I’m so pleased with the new cables. I quickly forget what they’re doing…