Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I try to do a similar comparison when my new BJC Cat6 arrives
Problem is stretching 2m to reach 3m to the NDX.
If I can get it done, it’ll be Meicord Cat6, BJC Cat6 & Lindy Cat6

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Xanthe,…I share your experience of this cable.

I have a 0.75 and a 1,5m that has been in the box for three years.
But a friend,.who has a smaller high-resolution system,where it works better.
They are cheap,.so as usual…try it yourself if you are interested.

/Peder🙂

Peder, so far, in my system every screened cable I’ve tried has been significantly worse than even basic Cat5e UTP cables.

3 Likes

Screened Ethernet has its uses and is indeed critical in some applications. In the domestic audio world it’s just not needed and can introduce other issues.

2 Likes

I’ve found only the short screened 1.5m cable between Melco and ND555 was a definite improvement - and it does have its own ‘sound’ - but overall it was a significant improvement, but a lot of care was needed to get that.
Elsewhere I find Cat5e and even old Cat5 better - I get the impression I’m tuning an RF circuit and this is nothing to do with the data domain as such but the noise on the line.

Screening can keep noise in the cable if it originates in a box feeding the cable, which a lot or most of it will, so it does not surprise me totally that not concentrating it into a focused ‘noise-pipe’ and injecting it all into the HiFi source may have issues.

Screens work both ways keep-out and keep-in and normally the latter is overlooked. With analogue signal it is correct to overlook it as it should be quiet - but a lot of digital noise can find its way through the system via lots of ways.

DB.

Irrespective of the results, has your measuring equipment been calibrated against a known standard? :joy::joy::joy:

I’ve observed similar so far. I’ve noticed I don’t get as fatigued (less harsh high frequencies) at higher volumes with the BJC. I’ll swap the Cinnamons back in at some point for a better comparison. It’s a fun experiment and if nothing else demonstrating expensive boutique data cables aren’t necessary to good performance.

2 Likes

Yes, by an audiologist!
:stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

1 Like

cinnamon are not expensive…At the level of the vodka it begins to be expensive.

I do n’t want to pore cold water on the new feet debate. But if you look at your Cisco it has holes for computer rack mounting. A new Naim black box ment no rack space so I mounted the Cisco on the wall benind the rack away from the mains sockets. It lets the ethernet cables (AQ cinnamon in my case) hang freely to and from the nas and NDX2. First impression was more base clarity, give that a try and see what you make of the sound.

4 Likes

Are you sure about that!!?

5 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@ChrisSU,…:grin::joy::grin: Just Love It…

This picture goes contrary to TiberioMagadino’s confident statement😄.

/Peder🙂

Well ok on the electrics but the router is what, a piece of sh$t?

4 Likes

I have no idea, you’ll have to ask Naim, it was their demo.

1 Like

That’s a matter of perspective and it doesn’t make my comment any less valid.

1 Like

Naim prefers to show that the quality of the sound is entirely due to the quality of their components, not additional non naim cables or switches.
I am quite certain that one day naim will produce its own.

2 Likes

To think I was blaming the speakers for sounding crap, when it was the shoddy cable dressing that was to blame!

1 Like

it’s just that the cinnamon is not really a fancy ethernet cable. So it doesn’t prove, as you said, that expensive ethernet cables aren’t necessarily to good performance.

You’re missing a larger point to my comment. A cable that costs more than 10x the BJC is expensive by most measures and obviously it’s only valid for the Cinnamon cable in my case. If spending thousands of dollars to exceed the performance of a made to spec cable is your goal I’m not stopping you. :smiley:

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter what his goal is, you can’t stop him anyway.

1 Like