Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Hi there! Interesting to read this. Have been considering the Mutec clock. Not sure what you mean by “when the clock was independent”.

My Sean Jacobs PSU should finally be through in around 10 days…

Hi IB,
When did Richard ban the use of “bou**que” in this thread ?

Simple post number will be enough, otherwise it’s a bit of a drag searching 6539 posts !

1 Like

He didn’t, the self proclaimed thread owner did.

2 Likes

Yes, I didn’t understood too , regardless of the independent clock.
I have often read that switches can be uplifted with an external clock. However all this begins to be expensive.
For now I am waiting my ER and Farad ps. But curious on these clocks.
I am sure that the same as often members will laugh at this.
I will not stop my curiosity. A lot of forums report the benefit of external clock for Ethernet switches.

Some are waiting that you come back @Peder. But better no worth for now. Keep your energy for more important things.
And keep safe.

1 Like

Hi Don, Indeed as Mike-B said - and he was rather, erm, insistent…

I’m sure a search for boutique on the forum would find sone of it.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed, that to all.

1 Like

Yes be Safe to everyone!

2 Likes

Here’s my question. Hope one of you ace networkers can answer. I have a Synology NAS DS214play. I run AQ Vodka from it to my Asus Wifi Router. My front end is Auralic Aries G1. I have it running wireless on 5g band , It’s rock stable. Auralic actually recommends Wireless since it avoids cables etc , any reason to add a Cisco?

I’m no expert and it’s likely discussed in this thread (somewhere) but I wouldn’t. I think nowadays if your Wireless is all sorted out you don’t need the Cisco router unless you need it for other things. The good thing about it is it won’t do any harm.

To be sure I would try if I were you. You can buy a Cisco for a price of 4 Marlboro packets . So you will not loose much.
Add just another Marlboro to have a 1m blue jeans cat 6a.

@frenchrooster Well since I’m a Lung Cancer survivor, and an ex-40 year smoker I think I’ll pass. Smoking is by far the worst thing you can do to your health. I’m extremely lucky to be here today. Caught early and great Doctors. PS: as an ex smoker I now realize how eff’ing nasty a habit it is.

I understand

And I’m not trying to be a d…k towards you rooster :+1:

I changed my profile to laugh a bit on the trust level thread.
I proclaimed myself expert :star_struck:

I smoked myself during 30 years. I was more lucky than you…
I am vaping now.
What means d…k?

2 Likes

Be extra diligent with avoiding Covid-19 as an ex-smoker.

1 Like

Male Appendage

Hi Michaelb
Sorry, to clarify: The use of external clock made the Sean Jacobs power supply on the switch less of an upgrade. I presume his PS improved the internal clock.

I believe you may be discombobulating those two aspects

Data integrity in computer and data networks is about maintaining the encoded information without it being corrupted or changed. Network protocols based on TCP/IP are very robust and are designed to be able to maintain data integrity over very unreliable networks… so the use case is trivial on most home networks.

Noise coupling, through physical couplings, electromagnetic coupling is about the interaction of external or indirect effects on a system causing perturbations or if extreme malfunction. Examples of such interactions is the cause of intermodulation distortions and ground plane modulations. These perturbations rarely have any direct effect on the information contained with the integrity of the dataencodings and not related to the Ethernet protocol itself

2 Likes

Thanks. Understand now. Well, the PSU is on order now anyway. The biggest problem with the Mutec would be where to put it. At least the SOTM is relatively small…