Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I would say not. Keep it in perspective. They do make a difference, but they don’t make the party… :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting. I did find a difference between the horrible little basic cable with which my EtherRegen was supplied by Vortexbox and a Powerline/Sean Jacobs distribution block on the stock SMPS. Nothing to break out the rainbows but noticeable nonetheless…

1 Like

I preferred the ER without the Cisco in the chain, because something was missed when Cisco was connected.
However, when the ER was not burn in, the Cisco in the chain gave nicer tones. But not after the burn in.

It’s difficult and even not accurate to evaluate like that. I am aware.
I wanted to point that for me the biggest jump was between nds to crap router to nds to Cisco. But as you read there were steps between both, as Netgear dedicated switch, then acoustic revive lan isolator, then tp link mc converters.

I am aware of the crap dc cable which goes with the lps 1.2.
But I don’t feel it would be transformational to invest in that, but I may be wrong.
Both power supplies gave the best results when connected to my Eros Titan powerblock.

Thanks Funkylou.
I will try to send , i will be near the post office tomorrow.
The problem is that there is only 2 posts offices opened vs the 8 in normal situation. I will inform you.
I am not sure you will hear an improvement with Cisco/ external ps vs the white internal instead. Because with my Nds/555dr/Melco n1z2 the improvement is not big already.
Yes, the model with external ps is better, but it’s not night and day.

As said PatM, I would more invest in your case in a good powerblock and power cord to the wall. All the system will be regenerated.

Better is if you can power the Cisco poE switch from another switch that supplies poE power via cable. That way no SMPS wall wart is required. It’s subtle though, and probably in the end if one has the $ to just go for for an eR and be done with it.

:heart:@frenchrooster,.Excellent summary,.where we get a good overview of what you have been doing the last days.

•You don’t just talk,.you act too…!!

Thank you for contributing interesting information to the thread.

/Peder :+1:

1 Like

I have not tested Poe, but some reported some noise with Poe Cisco. You have to be lucky for that model.
SMPS can be very well done also. The ER with its SMPS is better than Cascade Ciscos with external ps at the end of the chain. By a clear big step.
But for money, a second hand Cisco is indeed difficult to beat.

@Peder, you have continued to fail to answer questions asked of you despite polite reminders, and despite your own demanding that others answer yours. Whilst unsatisfactory, I have no option but to make assumptions as to the answers, as below. Should I be wrong I trust you will provide a correction, your silence denoting confirmation.

Firstly my question in post currently numbered 7053, this one being important in the context of the subject of this thread: Have you listened to these ‘burnt in’ cables in direct A-B comparison to brand new cables, as blind tests? - The obvious conclusion from your lack of response is that you haven’t, as you would have affirmed if you had. I therefore refer you to my observations in that same post.

Secondly from post currently numbered 7082, where I asked Who does that? in response to your assertion that some people “pat others on the head”, with long technical expositions, that have only one purpose - trying to show their own superiority. Although not critical to this thread, as you haven’t withdrawn your post my question still stands. The obvious conclusion to your lack of response is that there is no-one you can actually identify to whom your assertion applies.

4 Likes

Yes, I’d forgotten about the DC cables - I was in fact referring to the AC. I suppose I have no way of knowing (with the stuff at my disposal here) how much of the improvement I hear from the Sean Jacobs LPS comes from the PSU itself and how much from the DC cable. The DC cables can’t be switched between the stock SMPS and the Sean Jacobs since they have different terminations at one end.

1 Like

IB, i may understand your point.
However you will test a burn in cable vs a non burn one?
You will test double blind at home?

We are not in a laboratory situation in order to be the most accurate possible in a test.
People borrows a component, try it at home, let it burn 24 hours, and listen again. No more.
We have memory. If a cable sounds bright and harsch during the first hours, it sounds like it. And if it doesn’t sound bright and harsch after a couple of days, it’s run in. No reason to deny that.

From what I read, and my experience too, some linear ps are sensitive to AC and power cables. Like the Farad.
But other not, like the lps 1.2 or Js2.
Some claim better results with better dc cables.
But also powering the linear ps with other linear ps, adding clocks…
There is no end. I think we can stop at a certain point.

In Audiobacon site, the reviewer found exceptional results with a 4k power cord ( Oyaide) for the Paul Hynes Sr4 ( 400 dollars).
Perhaps, if earning 150 k / hour, I would do that :rofl:

1 Like

Lots of reasons to question that, as I believe (given your college/university training) you know.

1 Like

So we are thousands and thousands to be fooled by our brain…
When I burn a product, I listen to it after 1 hour. Then leave it continuously run in during 2 days, WITHOUT LISTENING during that period. So NO brain accommodating effect.

2 Likes

It is the only way you will be able to tell if a cable definitely has changed! Nothing to do with a laboratory situation, just reality - It is invalid to draw conclusions from what you hear today compared to a memory of what you heard a day, week, month ago, for the reasons I summarised in my earlier post - not only is memory of sound not absolute, but ears do not hear the same all the time (and that is quite apart from possible psychological effects that I seem to recall you refuse to believe apply to you!).it is not in any way saying anything negative about you, or about anyone else whose brains tell them they hear a change: I totally believe you when you say you can hear that a cable has burnt in, because to your brain that is what has happened. What I challenge is whether it really has changed, because unless there is a direct A-B comparison (preferably blind) then other factors could, and in my opinion more likely do, explain the difference you believe you hear,

1 Like

Here’s something to consider: those that apparently hear differences/improvements are more likely to post about their experiences. Those that can’t hear any difference may refrain from posting for fear of reprisal.

2 Likes

IB, it’s not a month ago. If a cable sounds bright and harsch , you don’t like to listen to music. You leave it run in.
2 days after you discover that the sound became much softer and open.
Why deny that? It’s so simple and non discutable.

And who will buy 2 same cables to test at home? It’s a nonsense.

2 Likes

I am denying nothing - except that you cannot be sure your ears hear the same the next day (or even later the same day). And you are relying on memory of sound. As for buying two to test at home, that depends on whether you want to decide if there is burn-in: you don’t have to decide whether or not there is burn-in, you can just play a few times over a few days and decide whether you prefer cable X over cable Y (always through A-B comparisons, preferably blind), and not worry about it! And if really interest in whether there has been any change in the cable itself, borrow a second one after a few days.

4 Likes

I can’t be sure that my ears sound the same the next day?
So since 20 years, all the stuff, cables…I bought gave me the same results: bright the first hour and much smoother the next day.
Many many many times the same phenomenon.
And I have never heard smooth the first day and harsch the second.

I think we have covered enough that discussion. I personally give up.
If it helps. you can stay with your scientific doubts. No problem.